Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amount of makeup to achieve a look

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually think she looks prettier with no make up. But then I prefer more natural make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Her photos are photoshopped. Most likely with a skin filter to give a seamless finish to the skin. In person you'd be able to see texture no matter how much makeup is worn. Most beauty gurus will use a face filter of some sort to smooth out the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'll be honest here with my opinion, though it may not be at all popular, but I am astounded sometimes at the amount of makeup used to create the currently fashionable looks.

It sometimes seems that the goal is to obliterate all natural and unique features you may have and replace them with what I call the "contoured clone" look. The end result can look very plasticky.

I just question how much makeup is really needed? Before anyone jumps on me here, let me say that o am someone who truly appreciates the power of makeup. I'm just someone who naturally uses less rather than more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jeonahr wrote: »
    Her photos are photoshopped. Most likely with a skin filter to give a seamless finish to the skin. In person you'd be able to see texture no matter how much makeup is worn. Most beauty gurus will use a face filter of some sort to smooth out the skin.

AH makes sense! I do however see women out and about who look like that.

Is it a very heavy foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Rosie is going doing a video on it she said! So she might show it in that?

If I put in to much makeup it does all funny after a while!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think two types of make up are currently fashionable, natural look with low coverage foundation and lighter eye make up and heavy foundation "Instagram" friendly look. Growing up between Balkans and Italy it was easy to come across both types and they never mixed. I have yet to come across woman who liked both or a man who found both attractive. I always preferred more natural look although I unintentionally stray to the dark side every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That's facetune or similar that is getting this result

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She massively edits her pictures. I've seen her in real life and you can see her skin issues beneath all the make up.
    I've seen her apply make up on social media and she wears a shed load.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Stheno wrote: »
    AH makes sense! I do however see women out and about who look like that.

Is it a very heavy foundation?

Most girls or women who go for a full face of makeup will usually go for a full coverage foundation rather than a light or medium coverage one. The one thing I've noticed though is that texture is hard or almost impossible to actually get rid of with makeup. Makeup for pictures and for daylight differ a lot. You'd get away with wearing more makeup in pictures or videos than you would during the day without looking cakey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The amount of under-eye concealer used in some of the YT and Instagram tutorial shocks me. It must look so cakey close up, and then they bake it, so another layer of powder goes on top.

I use a teeny bit of concealer and still think that's too much!

They also use ring lights to make them more glowy in videos and pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Rosie has a youtube channel, think there's only a couple of videos there but maybe there's a makeup tutorial one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

That's got to be some heavy filtering on her IG account. I've had acne and no amount of heavy foundation and powder and concealer is going to smoothen out the bumps like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

They use a lot of make up for videos/photos as opposed to real life. Lighting, filters and skin smoothing apps can help soften the edges and smooth away bumps. But she's also wearing heavy foundation; even in the pictures I can see that, and I think it would look very obvious if you saw her in person.

It's similar to stage make up. You feel like you're putting on way to much, but then the lights come on and it all looks grand. I sing classical music and started doing recitals/shows throughout the year, some of which are also recorded. I have high cheek bones, a square face and full cheeks and after a year of this, I'm still adjusting to just how much contouring I need in order to not look like a big square face with no definition on stage and on camera.

But for every day makeup, I have a rule - foundation should be enough to even out my skin tone, but light enough to still see my freckles. I don't have too many problems with break outs any more, but perfectly smooth, airbrushed skin is a myth; no one has it all of the time. Many people don't ever have it. And I'd rather walk around freckles, bumps and all than looking like an instagram photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

As a blogger and one who just recorded her first youtube video I can say you definitely need a more heavier hand with makeup then your day to day look for it to come through on camera especially with the lightening needed!

Also I suffer from Acne (coming to the end of my battle for now) and you will always see texture. That said when I use Snapchat you do not see how bad my skin can actually look. The camera has a built in filter which smooth's out the skin to an extent (and I never use the smoothing filter). She probably does not wear that much on a standard day. She definitely wont when she starts to age lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

dudara wrote: »
    I'll be honest here with my opinion, though it may not be at all popular, but I am astounded sometimes at the amount of makeup used to create the currently fashionable looks.

It sometimes seems that the goal is to obliterate all natural and unique features you may have and replace them with what I call the "contoured clone" look. The end result can look very plasticky.

I agree with this.

I was in a shopping centre on Saturday and I really noticed how much make up many women that were in their teens/early 20's were wearing. Maybe it's because there is an Inglot shop in the shopping centre I was in and so many girls got their make up done...but it still looks ridiculous. I never remember so much make up being worn when I was younger. It looks awful. Especially the eye make up and foundation...I just don't get it really. But I guess that's what's "in". I personally couldn't be arsed putting all that makeup on. Must take ages.

That Rosie one would look a lot better with minimal make-up on. She's clearly very talented at it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I'd doubt that kind of coverage would be doing Rosie's skin problems any favours either. Heavy makeup was always a trigger for my acne and it could be a vicious circle of applying more to cover and then breaking out more, applying more etc.

Saying that I understand the insecurity and downright despair that can come with the condition so I wouldn't judge her for it

She uploaded this today so I said I'd link it here

https://youtu.be/lbu4D38fB1I

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

anna080 wrote: »
    She uploaded this today so I said I'd link it here

https://youtu.be/lbu4D38fB1I

I feel a bit thick now after my recent make up lesson and watching that

I put on foundation highlighter blusher highlighter then powder

Should it be foundation powder then the highlighter etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hey! I said hey!

Stheno wrote: »
    I feel a bit thick now after my recent make up lesson and watching that

I put on foundation highlighter blusher highlighter then powder

Should it be foundation powder then the highlighter etc?
    I would always do foundation - powder as a base and then the rest. Otherwise your only covering up your blusher and highlighter etc with powder but I’m sure people do it different ways

She did it as Foundation- concealer- powder- highlight- blush.
    If you're not that oily you can forgo the powder until your last step.
    Personally I never put powder on after concealer I think I'd look too chalky. I just do a little dab of it with a brush as my last step

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I always start with foundation and then go to concealer - in part because after foundation you may not need that much concealer. And then I do blush and highlighter always comes last. It's like my finishing touch.

I'd agree with anna in that I find powders too chalky, so I've started using blotting paper to take away any shine. And if I feel like the look needs some extra help in staying on my face, I use a setting spray rather than a powder.

Advertisement