Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a career change, but I can't leave.

Options
  • 23-09-2017 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.

So I graduated college after my degree and I am no longer enthusiastic about my career choice. I have only realised that this line of work is not right for me after securing employment in this field 5 months ago, however, I did undergo work placements while studying in college, but I wanted to finish my degree and give it another chance. It has gotten to the stage, where I am only still working in this job purely out of loyalty for my boss. So after 3 years of part time work I want to change my career path.

However, as I said I am only still in this company as I am extremely loyal and kinda feel like I have to stay. The other factor that has me still in this career/job is that, (without trying to blow my own trumpet) the boss tells me I am getting better at this type of work daily. He also, tells me that I will be very good in this flied in an other few years. But to put it blunt, I hate this type of work.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What industry are you in?

Would it possible to get a different job with your current degree?

For example, I know some people who can change from Software Development to a Data Analyst or Business Analyst using their Computer Science degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

You need to do what's best for you and follow the career you want to pursue. Loyalty is admirable, but a good boss will understand if you want to leave to pursue a different path.

What other fields do you see yourself transitioning into? You could always have a chat with your boss to see if moving to a different role within the same company could be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What industry are you in?

Would it possible to get a different job with your current degree?

For example, I know some people who can change from Software Development to a Data Analyst or Business Analyst using their Computer Science degree.

I'm working in the tourism sector as a cook.

Unfortunately not, I've no interest in another role in the hotel.

But I see what you're saying.

dennyk wrote: »
    You need to do what's best for you and follow the career you want to pursue. Loyalty is admirable, but a good boss will understand if you want to leave to pursue a different path.

What other fields do you see yourself transitioning into? You could always have a chat with your boss to see if moving to a different role within the same company could be an option for you.

Well, at present I am working long hours (50+) each week. I don't get breaks, I got one yesterday and that the first break I've had since starting there back in June. I was given my contract there three weeks ago. I was told that I I was not required to sign the contract if I didn't wish. I then read through the contract, I told the boss and manager that I was entitled to a 15 min break after working 4.5 hours or a 30 minute break after working 6 hours, as stated in my contract and I was told I'd not be allowed to take a break as I will be too busy.

Then overall, I don't like the type of work. Despite this, I can't muster up the courage to hand in my notice. I am worried the kitchen staff will be left disappointed and angry towards me for leaving them one staff member short. I usually, don't get a break until 10/11pm and that would be after starting at 10/11am.

Well, I was considering the insurance industry. But that would be mostly commission payed, based on your sales. So the thought of that would turn me off slightly. But I'm really looking for a 9-5 Monday - Friday job. Maybe a office job of some sort or working in a pharmaceutical factory. But I'm out of ideas after that. If anyone had any ideas on such a career I'd be really like to hear any suggestions. :)

I have a 4 year degree (B.A. Honours) in culinary arts which I achieved a 2.2 grade, which may help me get a job which requires a degree of any discipline. But I've yet to find such a career path which require such.

Thanks both for you advice! It's a great to get the advice and it really appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I was given my contract there three weeks ago. I was told that I I was not required to sign the contract if I didn't wish. I then read through the contract, I told the boss and manager that I was entitled to a 15 min break after working 4.5 hours or a 30 minute break after working 6 hours, as stated in my contract and I was told I'd not be allowed to take a break as I will be too busy.

That is illegal. See here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Hi folks.

However, as I said I am only still in this company as I am extremely loyal and kinda feel like I have to stay. The other factor that has me still in this career/job is that, (without trying to blow my own trumpet) the boss tells me I am getting better at this type of work daily. He also, tells me that I will be very good in this flied in an other few years. But to put it blunt, I hate this type of work.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

The only person you need to be loyal to is yourself. If you leave can you support yourself until you get a new job? That's the first criteria. Next and trust me on this everyone is replaceable. You staying there or leaving is not making one bit of difference to anyone but yourself. Go and look in the mirror that is where your loyalty is. Your employer is taking advantage of your loyalty, and not giving you breaks is both unfair and illegal. Whilst giving you little pat's on the back that you're improving..... Give in your notice and get out of there if you can afford to do it. Loyalty is not rewarded and in the long run you'll be angry with yourself for putting up with that situation and staying there.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are working in a sh1t hole as a chef. The sh1t hole is quite likely the problem more than the chef work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You can leave, but it makes no sense to leave until you decide what you want to do.

Spend the next week working out what you want to do and what you need to do to reach that goal. Then make a plan to achieve it in the next 6,12,24 months or however long it will take.

No point in complaining about your current role. Its paying the bills. Use it as a stepping stone to your next career.

Dermo wrote: »

Oh yes! I'm very aware that it's illegal! But it has been the same the last 4 places which I worked at also! This is the normal in this industry.

screamer wrote: »
    The only person you need to be loyal to is yourself. If you leave can you support yourself until you get a new job? That's the first criteria. Next and trust me on this everyone is replaceable. You staying there or leaving is not making one bit of difference to anyone but yourself. Go and look in the mirror that is where your loyalty is. Your employer is taking advantage of your loyalty, and not giving you breaks is both unfair and illegal. Whilst giving you little pat's on the back that you're improving..... Give in your notice and get out of there if you can afford to do it. Loyalty is not rewarded and in the long run you'll be angry with yourself for putting up with that situation and staying there.

I really couldn't afford to do that unfortunately. I intend to have something got by Christmas at the latest. This is kind of the target I have set! As for the loyalty thing you are completely right! So, I'm not sure why I want too stay, But I have set a date after Christmas for handing in my notice and that will give me time to think what I really want to do.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Sounds like you are working in a sh1t hole as a chef. The sh1t hole is quite likely the problem more than the chef work.

True! However I found it the exact same in the other hotels and restaurants I worked in. It's all great when I start, but after 3-4 months in and I'm just sick off it.
    You can leave, but it makes no sense to leave until you decide what you want to do.

Spend the next week working out what you want to do and what you need to do to reach that goal. Then make a plan to achieve it in the next 6,12,24 months or however long it will take.

No point in complaining about your current role. Its paying the bills. Use it as a stepping stone to your next career.

That's part of the problem. I'm just not 100% sure what I want to do. I was thinking either a desk job or a role in a pharmaceutical factory. I was also considering something in the I.T. sector, although I wouldn't be a fan of Java and coding. So that really limits me in that sense. But I really do want a 9-5 Monday to Friday job. I would be more academic than practical I would think.

As, I said. I hope to be gone just after Christmas. This would be a kinda new year, new me kinda thing! :D Anyway, I just need to know what I really want to do. At 24, I'm leaving my career a bit late.

That's a good point. It does keep my car on the road. But you can't really use a culinary arts degree as a stepping stone. Like it wouldn't be much use a office job would it?

Thanks all for your advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd be afraid your boss is buttering you up as he wants to keep you in his kitchen.. and why wouldnt he.. someone who he can bully into working without breaks is hard to find, and an asshole manager will always exploit people like yourself..

Particularly sounds like you have no financial or family commitments keeping you in that job...

You have plenty of options..

1. Tell him you need a proper hourly week with structured breaks, perhaps if you were working a reasonable pattern then you would again like the work..

2. Just jack it in, no point flogging a dead horse, if your done then move on.. you could find a better role in similar line or even go back to college and retrain..

Only be loyal to people who appreciate you and treat you well, everyone else isnt worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Following my post above, I remembered this video..

As a manager I see allot of this all the time...

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I'd be afraid your boss is buttering you up as he wants to keep you in his kitchen.. and why wouldnt he.. someone who he can bully into working without breaks is hard to find, and an asshole manager will always exploit people like yourself..

Particularly sounds like you have no financial or family commitments keeping you in that job...

You have plenty of options..

1. Tell him you need a proper hourly week with structured breaks, perhaps if you were working a reasonable pattern then you would again like the work..

2. Just jack it in, no point flogging a dead horse, if your done then move on.. you could find a better role in similar line or even go back to college and retrain..

Only be loyal to people who appreciate you and treat you well, everyone else isnt worth the effort.

He may well be buttering me up! I never looked at it like that.

I don't no, I'm still living at home. I pay rent and run a car and that's the height of it.

At my job, there are weddings. So I just have to work the days I'm given. Some days I could be starting as early as 7am and not finish until 11.30pm or 12.30am..

You see, I'm in two minds on what to do. Really I'd need to have something lined up before I leave. But I have decided that I'll be gone just after Christmas at the latest.

Thanks for the advice... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have a 4 year degree (B.A. Honours) in culinary arts which I achieved a 2.2 grade, which may help me get a job which requires a degree of any discipline. But I've yet to find such a career path which require such.

With an honours degree there are lots of career paths open to you ... but really only you can decide what you want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am extremely loyal and kinda feel like I have to stay
    Your loyalty will be rewarded with a sacking if a downturn happens.

Look after yourself, and get a job in another kitchen, as it sounds like your current boss is a tosser. But most head chefs are tossers; it almost seems to be part of their job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Lickin2me

Never shocked how weak people are. They stay in jobs they hate and live miserable hard lifes to please other people. One day your number will be called dont look back full of regrets before you check out.

_Brian wrote: »
    Following my post above, I remembered this video..

As a manager I see allot of this all the time...

Very interesting video thanks!

C3PO wrote: »
    With an honours degree there are lots of career paths open to you ... but really only you can decide what you want to do!

As I previously said, I was interested in Insurance. I was considering doing an insurance internship (as it seems to be the best way into the industry) But having to be paid by commission by hitting targets seems to be putting me off that abit. :(

I would be interested computers/I.T. However, I previously done an Level 6 I.T. and I didn't like the Java script/coding aspect so that's what turned me off that!

However, I really want a 9-5 Monday-Friday job that's the main requirenment. If you had any suggestions. I would be interested in hearing them. :)

the_syco wrote: »
    Your loyalty will be rewarded with a sacking if a downturn happens.

Look after yourself, and get a job in another kitchen, as it sounds like your current boss is a tosser. But most head chefs are tossers; it almost seems to be part of their job!

That's a factor I didn't consider. Work has gone quite now, so I am down to 2-3 day working weeks. However, when I do pluck up the courage to leave I have to do it the far side of Christmas. I could never leave someone at a busy time (christmas) and have them stuck. I'd feel awful for doing such a thing.

Lickin2me wrote: »
    Never shocked how weak people are. They stay in jobs they hate and live miserable hard lifes to please other people.

This is one of my major flaws. I'm a people please-er. I find it easier to work on and be unhappy. Than to pluck up the courage and leave and risk disappointing bosses and work colleges.. Although, I have promised myself that I will be gone just after Christmas. This way, it will be close to the start of January and it won't be busy, so then the boss will have time to look for a new chef to fill my spot.
    Lickin2me wrote: »
    One day your number will be called dont look back full of regrets before you check out.

Sorry, but what do you mean by this? I don't follow.. Do you mean, don't regret leaving the job when I finally do?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice you all have provided me with. It's very much appreciated.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Of course you can leave, nobody is holding a gun to your head! You are choosing to stay. Comfort zones are over-rated, why be unhappy when you can do something about it?

• Advertisement

Diziet wrote: »
    Of course you can leave, nobody is holding a gun to your head! You are choosing to stay. Comfort zones are over-rated, why be unhappy when you can do something about it?

I'm just so worried what the head chef and co-workers will think and say. I can only imagine that he/they will flip out when I hand in my notice! I really need a good excuse to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I'm just so worried what the head chef and co-workers will think and say. I can only imagine that he/they will flip out when I hand in my notice! I really need a good excuse to leave.

I don't think this is the case, these places are in general used to a high turnover whether it be seasonal or people not liking the job or staff.

Figure out what you're doing and leave on career change basis on good terms, cheffing is a great trade to have you may utilise it again.

Or if you still like cooking maybe look to move to a nicer environment kitchen like pastries or baking in cafes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

What does it matter what they say? You put in your notice, and leave. They cannot exactly tie you down. Be polite, professional, and leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If you are in the wrong career you have a very long 40 or so years of it ahead of you.

Lots of us make a decision at 17 what we think we will want to work at when older when we really have no idea what we are talking about.
    You have finished your degree which is still worthwhile and you have given it a chance.
    If the work is not for you its not for you and the sooner you can get into another field the better.
    You could continue to use your degree by looking for Sales roles in Foodservice companies , or trying to get into Food development .
    These though are easier said than done .

As to what your employer thinks , dont worry about them , hand in your notice work your required days and wish them luck , particularly in your business turnover of staff is a very regular occurrence and they will be well used to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I am looking forward to the usual suspects telling the OP not to take a break for the first few years. Suck it up. Who knows who you might bump into in future in a hotel kitchen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Look this is just my purely anecdotal experience.

I used to be based in a busy coastal town very touristy. I shared houses with lots of chefs, cooks, waitresses etc due to the seasonal nature of the industry and town. BTW I do not work in that industry.

So my social circle included a lot of chefs etc and to the man they were all ****ing lunatics having worked in the industry for years (most in 30s and 40s). It seems to be a very unhealthy line of work, very unsettled and a lot of moving, chopping and changing.

If my experience of hanging around with chefs is anything to go by- I would get the hell out now especially if you do not like it before you fall in deeper.

Genuinely they had mental health issues, heavy smokers, alcohol and drugs. They would admit as much themselves.

In fact, I can recall two dropping dead from heart attacks in their 40s- not personal friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Quote: Lickin2me
    One day your number will be called dont look back full of regrets before you check out.

You asked what this means. To put it bluntly it means "On your deathbed don't look back and have regrets about your life"

You say you are loyal to the workplace but later you say you are only getting 3 days work some weeks- they aren't being very loyal to you are they?
    I've left lots of jobs over the years. Write your resignation letter and hand it to your manager. Work your notice (make sure you get any holidays you are owed) and leave. It happens all the time, you need to put yourself first.
    In terms of what you can do next? If I was you I'd get any job going (Dunne's etc) for now, get some career advice (your old university should be able to help you here) and start applying for whatever courses you might need for your new career. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

You'd be better off working in McDonald's or somewhere like that! Over qualified Yes, but also treated better.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

OP OP OP

Try this:
    Every day before heading out to work. Look at yourself in the bathroom mirror and repeat each of the statements below 5 times:

I'm as engaged with ........... (insert employer or manager here) as they are with me.
    I'll worry about how they feel just as much as they worry about how I feel.
    I'll be as honest, fair and decent in my dealings with them as they are in their dealings with me.
    I'll worry about their bank balance as much as they worry about mine.

That should put things in perspective for you. If they are good employers then happy days for all!!!

• Advertisement

Old Perry wrote: »
    I don't think this is the case, these places are in general used to a high turnover whether it be seasonal or people not liking the job or staff.

Figure out what you're doing and leave on career change basis on good terms, cheffing is a great trade to have you may utilise it again.

Or if you still like cooking maybe look to move to a nicer environment kitchen like pastries or baking in cafes etc...

This establishment is only re-opened since last March after a number of years. So it's hasn't created a customer base yet and isn't that well know. However, the chefs I work with would know about staff coming or going etc. The head chef hopes to keep his current staff and to train them up. So he is hoping that the staff he currently has will be there still in years to come.

I have a few ideas as mentioned earlier in the thread. But I've not decided on anything yet.

That's a good point, although I really feel strongly about getting out of this line of work. Having said that no one knows what the future holds.

What does it matter what they say? You put in your notice, and leave. They cannot exactly tie you down. Be polite, professional, and leave!

I know they'll not tie me down.. :D But they may make my last two/three weeks a misery but I'm only assuming that. Based on past experience..
    If you are in the wrong career you have a very long 40 or so years of it ahead of you.

Lots of us make a decision at 17 what we think we will want to work at when older when we really have no idea what we are talking about.
    You have finished your degree which is still worthwhile and you have given it a chance.
    If the work is not for you its not for you and the sooner you can get into another field the better.
    You could continue to use your degree by looking for Sales roles in Foodservice companies , or trying to get into Food development .
    These though are easier said than done .

As to what your employer thinks , dont worry about them , hand in your notice work your required days and wish them luck , particularly in your business turnover of staff is a very regular occurrence and they will be well used to it .

The thought of been in this industry in 40 years time just kills me inside.

Ya, that's true, the main reason I done the 4 years was to get a degree which would help me get out of this industry. I really don't think it's for me. :( I agree that it's better to get out sooner than later for a couple of reasons.

I didn't consider food sales at all. That seems like a good idea. I could add that to the list of potential jobs. Thanks.

I agree with your last point, I shouldn't worry at all. But, I do. I can't help that.. Regardless of how foolish it sounds.

I am looking forward to the usual suspects telling the OP not to take a break for the first few years. Suck it up. Who knows who you might bump into in future in a hotel kitchen in Ireland.

Sorry, are you adising me to stay or go? Kinda confused..
    Quote: Lickin2me

You asked what this means. To put it bluntly it means "On your deathbed don't look back and have regrets about your life"

You say you are loyal to the workplace but later you say you are only getting 3 days work some weeks- they aren't being very loyal to you are they?
    I've left lots of jobs over the years. Write your resignation letter and hand it to your manager. Work your notice (make sure you get any holidays you are owed) and leave. It happens all the time, you need to put yourself first.
    In terms of what you can do next? If I was you I'd get any job going (Dunne's etc) for now, get some career advice (your old university should be able to help you here) and start applying for whatever courses you might need for your new career. Good luck.

Ah I see. That's a good point.

That's true they aren't, that's all the work they have for me though, so it's a case of take it or leave it. Also, I feel that part of the problem is, that I put other people first ahead of myself. I'm not sure why that is though.

Your right, I need to start looking after myself. I will definitely get my holidays, I'll make sure of that! Looking for any job is a good idea and that will provide me with time to think things over.

Thanks very much for all the advice!

Advertisement