Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a career change, but I can't leave.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

nikkibikki wrote: »
    You'd be better off working in McDonald's or somewhere like that! Over qualified Yes, but also treated better.

That's true, however been over qualified can go against me.
    OP OP OP

Try this:
    Every day before heading out to work. Look at yourself in the bathroom mirror and repeat each of the statements below 5 times:

I'm as engaged with ........... (insert employer or manager here) as they are with me.
    I'll worry about how they feel just as much as they worry about how I feel.
    I'll be as honest, fair and decent in my dealings with them as they are in their dealings with me.
    I'll worry about their bank balance as much as they worry about mine.

That should put things in perspective for you. If they are good employers then happy days for all!!!

I done this and the result is not good. Basically I've learn that management is the opposite to myself and my loyalty towards the company.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Just to add what has happened since I last posted...

In the last few weeks I have been having symptoms of IBS/IBD or colitis (Inflammatory bowel disease/Irritable bowel syndrome) (symptoms including diarrhoea, stomach cramps and back and joint pains) After getting a blood test to eliminate other conditions. My GP has made an appointment for me to have a colonoscopy. I'll be having the colonoscopy on the 24th of this month. The colonoscopy will show exactly what's wrong. My GP reckons that this is been caused by my job due to the stress. :( She also has advised me to give up this job and line of work as well.

I haven't told my head chef about any of this yet. I was really just just going to wait until I have the colonoscopy and see what the result was. Then go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

OP
    It appears to me that you have issues around asserting yourself. In this urge to not let anyone down you put yourself and your own needs at the back of the queue. This isn't healthy.
    I'm no physiologist but you may benefit from some self-help books dealing with assertiveness. I'm sure that a bit of research would turn up a tome that might give you some insights into to the situation you have put yourself in. (Not the situation that you find yourself in - that's too passive a way of looking at it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

OP OP OP

Try this:
    Every day before heading out to work. Look at yourself in the bathroom mirror and repeat each of the statements below 5 times:

I'm as engaged with ........... (insert employer or manager here) as they are with me.
    I'll worry about how they feel just as much as they worry about how I feel.
    I'll be as honest, fair and decent in my dealings with them as they are in their dealings with me.
    I'll worry about their bank balance as much as they worry about mine.

Lines one and two are good advice, not sure about line 4, but line 3 is very poor advice. Never allow yourself to lower your standards, especially re honesty.
    That's true, however been over qualified can go against me

Lol, you think a 2.2 would have you over qualified in McDonalds? :pac:

They also have management programmes and training.

And as has been said above, you're over estimating your importance to the company you work for. The clue is they don't give you statutory breaks, i.e. they don't particularly value you.

As to the colonoscopy, it is what it is. It's a scope/camera, it is no guarantee to find anything, especially IBS related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Agree with what partyguinness has said. You will be better off mentally and physically getting out of that place.

Hotels really should be regulated more closely when it comes to working time and rest time, they all abuse the employees in these areas an tell you it's the norm. Then they have 2 types of employees - those who leave at the first opportunity, and those who are gluttons for punishment, who stay in spite of horrible treatment like an abused spouse who loves the abuser. They can often end up with issues like addiction, alcoholism, rage, depression, in addition to the physical wear and tear the job involves.

Hotels are the most notorious for this, maybe a restaurant would be better, or if you really hate it there's no reason to keep doing it anywhere if you don't have kids to support or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Do you still ultimately like cooking? If so could you consider a change in employment rather than complete career change? Cheffing is such a mobile skill - I'd imagine catering kitchens in hospitals, meals on wheels type of movement, spa outlets (standalone rather than hotel spa) restaurants, staff canteens, school canteen companies etc are all possilities but wouldn't be as stessful *disclaimer I know nothing about the industry *

• Advertisement
Advertisement