Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring quote

Options
  • 23-09-2017 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

So I rang an electrician last week as I had a few light fittings to be put in and extra sockets needed he called round today and tested the electricity and unfortunately informed me I need my house rewired. I know he is correct as my house is from the 1940's wiring is really old the cable was burned out in the study main light and the last few weeks kept tripping he estimated the wires were probably 50 years old so that was enough to scare me. He's an ex ESB contractor and will be working with 3 other guys on my house next week to get it all sorted the hassle but needs to be done. Anyway question is I am hoping I can qualify for the home renovation incentive I am joint owner with my ex I live here now and I pay the property tax so I gave the guy my ID number as they register it with revenue thing is I am a full time carer and get carers allowance so do they give you a cheque instead? Also is that the only incentive out there could I claim others just asking as I've never done any major renovations like this before so if I can claw back some money on it it would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I thought the only way they refunded the vat was through your income tax. You off set it against tax.
    If you can't get an answer here there are better forums. Maybe accounting or social welfare.

Edit:
    You must be paying income tax - whether under PAYE or self-assessment - to avail of the HRI.

From Citizens Advice Website

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

I know this is a little off topic but what price did you end up paying? I've just been informed mine needs a whole rewiring

Advertisement