Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoPro Hero 4 and Session file transfer

Options
  • 24-09-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

When viewed on a PC, GoPro files on the SD card have details of the date and in particular the time of recording. However, if I copy these files to a PC's hard disk, the date and time is altered to the date and time of the PC. Anyone know how to copy/transfer files from a GoPro SD card to a PC hard disk and preserve the original date and time of shooting associated with each file?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Darcon wrote: »
    When viewed on a PC, GoPro files on the SD card have details of the date and in particular the time of recording. However, if I copy these files to a PC's hard disk, the date and time is altered to the date and time of the PC. Anyone know how to copy/transfer files from a GoPro SD card to a PC hard disk and preserve the original date and time of shooting associated with each file?

Somehow I don't think you'll get an answer in the Satellite forum for this.

But you should be able to right click on any of the columns and choose Date created as one of columns to be displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Darcon

Thanks Pizzahead77; hadn't realised that I was in an incorrect forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Google tells me GoPro is a camera, so I've moved to photography - mods there feel free to move on if I've got that one wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. GoPro present MTP to the computer (not Mass Storage)
    2. MTP is shiiiiiiiiiiite

The only solution is to get that fiddly little card out and pop it in a reader of choice (a mini USB one or a full size).

With this you get
    - Correct dates
    - Faster transfers (if the reader and cards are good ones)

Pain in the face to do, but having the wrong dates is more painful.

Hi Ed E. Thanks for the suggestion. I could not get that to work as desired. I used a card reader. The date of the files transferred is the date and time of the transfer. The original "metadata" is not preserved.

• Advertisement

Darcon wrote: »
    Hi Ed E. Thanks for the suggestion. I could not get that to work as desired. I used a card reader. The date of the files transferred is the date and time of the transfer. The original "metadata" is not preserved.

Is the card reader part of a printer or other?

Hi Ed E.

The card reader is an integral component of the PC. It is not related in any way to the printer. I could remove it and see what brand it is. I think its reasonably sophisticated in that it can accommodate 4 different SD card types: SMxD; SD/mini MMC/RS; CF/MD; and MS/Pro/Duo.

Ok thats weird so.

I have a folder of 450GB of GoPro footage and any that was imported via card reader(thus mass storage), I have two, has the correct meta associated.

Are you using Quik to do the transfer or copy pasting in the OS? (Mac or PC?)

EmQ0cVb.png

Note the Mod date is the correct one for the END of recording (so if it says 14:10 the file starts at 13:58 when set to 12m intervals). The created date is the date the file was transferred.

My experience does not reflect yours. I have on the one hand simply copies the files from the camera to the hard drive and also used GoProQuik. No difference. Here is the original as present by the camera. The next post shows the same files copied with details of one of them.

Did not correctly send the attachments....

• Advertisement

Sorry wrong second attachment. I'll send in a minute...

Advertisement