Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS lease has ended !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nickolamo

I suspect you had a good relationship with your landlord up to now. Explain to the landlord that you are going to the council tomorrow and keep him informed. You may need a reference from him.

I have tried .... they point blank ignored me this evening . I did yes have a good relationship with them , gutted with the whole situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

nickolamo wrote: »
    I have tried .... they point blank ignored me this evening . I did yes have a good relationship with them , gutted with the whole situation .

Well then try to get a good nights sleep as I think you will have a tough day tomorrow. If I were you I would consider sending your landlord a text advising them you are trying to get the situation resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

nickolamo wrote:
    Actually it does .... Being a ras tennant means , when you sign the contract you are removed from the cc list - signing that you are now tennent of the cc ... and signing that you will never be homeless .

No it actually does not mean that. I know for a fact here I'm Cavan when your lease is coming to an end, it is solely upto the Tennant to find a place and approach the LL about the RDS scheme.

piplip87 wrote: »
    No it actually does not mean that. I know for a fact here I'm Cavan when your lease is coming to an end, it is solely upto the Tennant to find a place and approach the LL about the RDS scheme.

Yes it does , that's why (not only) the HAP was introduced so the cc are not obliged to re-house tennents, been on ras has that security (currently not in this situation) ! I understand every cc has it's own ras hap contracts . maybe yours is differiant from mine ?
    I had understud my contract when I signed it. term/conditions ... and they were advised to me again by the cc recently. We see what happens tomorrow .

Yes it does , that's why (not only) the HAP was introduced so the cc are not obliged to re-house tennents, been on ras has that security (currently not in this situation) ! I understand every cc has it's own ras hap contracts . maybe yours is differiant from mine ?
    I had understud my contract when I signed it. term/conditions ... and they were advised to me again by the cc recently. We see what happens tomorrow .

Do you mind me asking when you became a tennent on ras? I am ras tennant long time maybe things in the contract have changed ?

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking when you became a tennent on ras? I am ras tennant long time maybe things in the contract have changed ?

The only way t&cs can change is if you were notified and agreed to them. I understand RAS is closed to new applicants all over. My advice is to make sure you stay on the RAS and dont accept HAP.

The only way t&cs can change is if you were notified and agreed to them. I understand RAS is closed to new applicants all over. My advice is to make sure you stay on the RAS and dont accept HAP.

I had asked thus question at the interview , she told me I was a ras tennent and there was no way I could end up on the HAP .... saying that -they also said I wouldn't be in this predicament either .

I had asked thus question at the interview , she told me I was a ras tennent and there was no way I could end up on the HAP .... saying that -they also said I wouldn't be in this predicament either .

I doubt they will have any RAS properties available to move you too. I suspect they will suggest you go on HAP. My advice would be to read your lease to make sure it is between the landlord and the council. If it is then let the council and the landlord work it out but I would also suggest you try build a bridge with the landlord. I appreciate you have tried already but you need him on your side.

I doubt they will have any RAS properties available to move you too. I suspect they will suggest you go on HAP. My advice would be to read your lease to make sure it is between the landlord and the council. If it is then let the council and the landlord work it out but I would also suggest you try build a bridge with the landlord. I appreciate you have tried already but you need him on your side.

The cc had told me I would end up what ever is available at the time of termanation . she told me their are 3 possibilitys ... council house , ras or another form of social housing with at least 10yrs lease . Maybe it's too soon to approach the 'LL , clearly they are very upset as to what's happening . No doubt they will seek legal advice before talking with me .

The cc had told me I would end up what ever is available at the time of termanation . she told me their are 3 possibilitys ... council house , ras or another form of social housing with at least 10yrs lease . Maybe it's too soon to approach the 'LL , clearly they are very upset as to what's happening . No doubt they will seek legal advice before talking with me .

They have every right to be upset ... I have no issue talking with them , if I got the chance!

• Advertisement

I do hope you get one of the three scenairo's you list. I would have thought the council would have had something ready before yesterday knowing yesterday was the termination date.. If the matter is resolved tomorrow you should advise the landlord straight away. The cc should but just in case they dont do it straight away. The landlord will appreciate it.

They have every right to be upset ... I have no issue talking with them , if I got the chance!

Text him.

I do hope you get one of the three scenairo's you list. I would have thought the council would have had something ready before yesterday knowing yesterday was the termination date.. If the matter is resolved tomorrow you should advise the landlord straight away. The cc should but just in case they dont do it straight away. The landlord will appreciate it.

The family were in the garden tonight while I was coming in with my children and they just staired at us ... that's when I tried to approach them ... tensions are rising , I would only be delighted to give them some good news tomorrow for them and for me !

I am in full time employment , my mum minds my children after school in her house - could he by law change the locks while I'm at work ?

The family were in the garden tonight while I was coming in with my children and they just staired at us ... that's when I tried to approach them ... tensions are rising , I would only be delighted to give them some good news tomorrow for them and for me !

I am in full time employment , my mum minds my children after school in her house - could he by law change the locks while I'm at work ?
    The family were in the garden tonight while I was coming in with my children and they just staired at us ... that's when I tried to approach them ...

I am not familiar enough with the law but I dont think he could change the locks. In my opinion changing the locks would be an illegal eviction. The RTB is there to prevent illegal evictions. Although based on the detail you have given if he goes to the RTB it would only be a formality as he has done everything by the book. I would have thought he would need a court order to have you removed although you need to get advice from the cc in the first instance and failing that citizens advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Local authority ... going to be picking up a P45.
    G’wan outta dat. That’s not how’s we do things here...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well then try to get a good nights sleep as I think you will have a tough day tomorrow. If I were you I would consider sending your landlord a text advising them you are trying to get the situation resolved.
    But it’s not the landlords problem. A resolution to the situation is an empty house.

endacl wrote: »
    But it’s not the landlords problem. A resolution to the situation is an empty house.

The house has a potential buyer ... It won't empty !

G’wan outta dat. That’s not how’s we do things here...

HI - how does this work ??

Nor is it the tenants. It's the systems or lack thereof.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

RAS is only designed to be a short-term scheme for tenants who it is anticipated will be a position to house themselves at some point in the future. HAP- on the other hand- is for long term rentals- for those unlikely to be able to house themselves.

RAS is closed off for new tenants- and as RAS contracts come up for renewal, tenants are normally herded onto HAP schemes- as the intention is to fully wind down the RAS schemes- which are causing a nightmare for the housing Department.

It most certainly is not the case that if you're a RAS tenant that you won't end up on HAP- and whoever told you this- has no idea of the two schemes- or is being deliberately obtuse with you.

• Advertisement

RAS is only designed to be a short-term scheme for tenants who it is anticipated will be a position to house themselves at some point in the future. HAP- on the other hand- is for long term rentals- for those unlikely to be able to house themselves.

RAS is closed off for new tenants- and as RAS contracts come up for renewal, tenants are normally herded onto HAP schemes- as the intention is to fully wind down the RAS schemes- which are causing a nightmare for the housing Department.

It most certainly is not the case that if you're a RAS tenant that you won't end up on HAP- and whoever told you this- has no idea of the two schemes- or is being deliberately obtuse with you.

HAP- is and only 24 month contract ONLY , with choice for renew their after .
    RAS has 5 yr 10yr and longer contracts ... I would like to know where you got this information from ?

HAP- is and only 24 month contract ONLY , with choice for renew their after .
    RAS has 5 yr 10yr and longer contracts ... I would like to know where you got this information from ?

HAP is classed as a private rental under the 2004 RTA and once you are 6 months into a lease you are covered under the above act with only limited conditions to end the lease (eg landlord selling etc see Section 34).

I believe the 2 yr lease is what the council has with you regarding the payment element. ie they are only have a two year liability for payment with you and it is renewable every two years. You will have a max of a six year relationship with a HAP Landlord under a part 4 arrangement and then a new part 4 arrangement commences at the end of the 6 yrs.

HAP is classed as a private rental under the 2004 RTA and once you are 6 months into a lease you are covered under the above act with only limited conditions to end the lease (eg landlord selling etc see Section 34).

I believe the 2 yr lease is what the council has with you regarding the payment element. ie they are only have a two year liability for payment with you and it is renewable every two years. You will have a max of a six year relationship with a HAP Landlord under a part 4 arrangement and then a new part 4 arrangement commences at the end of the 6 yrs.

I am a RAS tenant the last 10yrs ... those regulations also apply to me .

I am a RAS tenant the last 10yrs ... those regulations also apply to me .

I think the difference is that the RAS agreement with the cc and the tenant is for a longer period than the two years than that of the HAP. Although you would know better as I do not know the workings of the RAS from a tenants perspective.

You are correct in relation to the other aspects of the 2004 RTA in so far as you were able to avail of the time frames etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I have been down countless times - on the phone with direct lines to ras section ... Being brought in for interviewing on the 11th August . Told the same story over and over .... except last week I got a call from the "head" person saying to STOP ringing that to stay put that he will deal with the 'LL .... It's an absolute disgrace the position we both are in .

If I were in your situation I would continue to call.

I've found that the to get anywhere with social issues you have to continually chase and hound them until it gets sorted. The onus is on them to sort this and by not calling you're giving them breathing room.

By continually calling looking for updates they'll actively look to sort the issue just so it's sorted and you'll stop calling. It's a shocking way to do things and most people feel embarrassed doing it but by swallowing your pride and refusing to take 'we're busy come back later' for an answer they'll be forced to deal with the issue instead of kicking the can down the road and making it the landlord's problem.

After a day of getting legal advice and on to the cc for most of the afternoon - the cc eventually got in contact with the 'LL and he agreed with one month extension ! The cc said I will be housed (well see about that ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Caliden wrote: »
    If I were in your situation I would continue to call.

I've found that the to get anywhere with social issues you have to continually chase and hound them until it gets sorted. The onus is on them to sort this and by not calling you're giving them breathing room.

By continually calling looking for updates they'll actively look to sort the issue just so it's sorted and you'll stop calling. It's a shocking way to do things and most people feel embarrassed doing it but by swallowing your pride and refusing to take 'we're busy come back later' for an answer they'll be forced to deal with the issue instead of kicking the can down the road and making it the landlord's problem.

Yeah, this is the only way forward in a lot of institutions, they will only act when the hassle of dealing with you is greater than the hassle of resolving the actual problem.

After a day of getting legal advice and on to the cc for most of the afternoon - the cc eventually got in contact with the 'LL and he agreed with one month extension ! The cc said I will be housed (well see about that ) .

I would suggest you thank the landlord. I appreciate this was not your fault but it was not his either and he could have just said no to the council.

I would suggest you thank the landlord. I appreciate this was not your fault but it was not his either and he could have just said no to the council.

I was speaking and crying with his wife this evening ... I know full well what he has done for us . I believe they asked for a further 3 months extension fully understand why he agreed with one !

• Advertisement

I was speaking and crying with his wife this evening ... I know full well what he has done for us . I believe they asked for a further 3 months extension fully understand why he agreed with one !

If the house is sale agreed it will still take at least two months for the legal process to complete. If it is yet to go on the market be as flexible as possible regarding viewings etc. You need to keep the landlord onside in case the cc does not have the matter resolved within the month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement