Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to sheep - couple of questions!

• 24-09-2017 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I've been talking about getting into sheep for years but am clueless about them. I finally bought some and have a few very basic questions!

I only got 20 ewe lambs to start, I wanted to make sure I can keep them alive and in good condition first before I think about getting more. For farm payment do you need minimum stocking quantities? I have 20 acres and the sheep grazing is shared with 6 horses. I assume my stocking rate is too low to get any sort of grant/payment? I'll be operating at a loss otherwise, hopefully not a massive loss! Half of my land is hilly and a bit crap, but I wouldnt describe it as mountain land (if that makes any difference to stocking rates)

How do u work out the condition of a sheep? I'm used to horses and with them its obvious when they gain/lose weight. How do you do it with the wool in the way?

How do you work out how much to feed them?
    I'm currently feeding them Gain lamb and ewe nuts and some soaked beet pulp, but mainly just to get them used to me as theres plenty of grass at the moment. But when the winter sets in how much should I feed them? They seem to always want to be fed so I guess they are just greedy and that wouldnt be a good indication of if they are actually hungry or not. Plan is to sell then next autumn so I want them in good shape.

Sorry for the super basic questions. I'm afraid to call teagasc for info as I heard you have to pay for advice. And after buying the sheep and the few bits and bobs to dose/vacc them etc i'm in need of free advice!
    Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

horsefarm wrote: »
    I've been talking about getting into sheep for years but am clueless about them. I finally bought some and have a few very basic questions!

I only got 20 ewe lambs to start, I wanted to make sure I can keep them alive and in good condition first before I think about getting more. For farm payment do you need minimum stocking quantities? I have 20 acres and the sheep grazing is shared with 6 horses. I assume my stocking rate is too low to get any sort of grant/payment? I'll be operating at a loss otherwise, hopefully not a massive loss! Half of my land is hilly and a bit crap, but I wouldnt describe it as mountain land (if that makes any difference to stocking rates)

How do u work out the condition of a sheep? I'm used to horses and with them its obvious when they gain/lose weight. How do you do it with the wool in the way?

How do you work out how much to feed them?
    I'm currently feeding them Gain lamb and ewe nuts and some soaked beet pulp, but mainly just to get them used to me as theres plenty of grass at the moment. But when the winter sets in how much should I feed them? They seem to always want to be fed so I guess they are just greedy and that wouldnt be a good indication of if they are actually hungry or not. Plan is to sell then next autumn so I want them in good shape.

Sorry for the super basic questions. I'm afraid to call teagasc for info as I heard you have to pay for advice. And after buying the sheep and the few bits and bobs to dose/vacc them etc i'm in need of free advice!
    Thanks a mil

checkin their condition is a case of layin on of hands
    nutrition-of-the-ewe-and-lamb-30-638.jpg?cb=1458757337
    otherwise its a case of watchin for the one slow coming for feed etc like ya would with horses

winter feeding will depend on how much grass is available, horses tend to skin the ground so they might need a fair bit

Advertisement