Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due in June 2018!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pawbruce168

cornflake1 wrote: »
    Some of you ladies were talking about getting the flu jab. Did you get it yet and if so what week? Just wondering what your doctors recommended. Ta!

I had my first scan with consultant at 8 weeks and he advised to get it asap as flu season has started and that it didn't matter what stage of pregnancy i got it. in saying all that i just haven't had a chance to go get it so it will be second trimester by the time i do! roll on 2nd trimester!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shersie

the_sonandmoon;105352599
    cornflake1 wrote:
    Some of you ladies were talking about getting the flu jab. Did you get it yet and if so what week? Just wondering what your doctors recommended. Ta!
    When i was in for my first appointment with the consultant she strongly advised me to get the Jab. I didn't get it on my other pregnancy that spanned this time of yr but she said that we are due a very bad dose of the flu. We normally get what hits Australia in their winter and she said the reports out of there is that it is a bad one. But then again she said we might not get anything nearly as bad but better to be safe than sorry so i was warned to make sure i get it and that it is perfectly safe for pregnancy. She told my husband to go get it too. I can get it free at work but boots are doing it for €25 and some pregnant ladies may even qualify to get it free at the GP so i'd double check if u qualify. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Ugh, I have a sort throat and headache the last few days. Paracetamol just don't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Northwestnelly

Hi ladies, I'm 14 weeks and I'm wedged into the last pair of jeans that fit me! Is it too early for maternity jeans, am I better off getting a couple of pairs a size up in Penney's?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Hi ladies, I'm 14 weeks and I'm wedged into the last pair of jeans that fit me! Is it too early for maternity jeans, am I better off getting a couple of pairs a size up in Penney's?

Definitely not too early for maternity jeans! I was 15 weeks when I started wearing them with my first baby. 11 weeks now on my second and would start wearing them but would give the game away! H&M do a good reasonably priced selection.

• Advertisement

How is everyone? Had my 12 week scan today, all good. However she is already talking about induction as I am 41. Says she won't let me go over my due date and will give a sweep at 38 weeks. Kinda early to be talking about this stuff. I was offered a sweep at 38 weeks on my firstborn and declined. The consultant I had then said it was unlikely to work at 38 weeks anyway, so why go through the discomfort! My firstborn was 9 days early so hopefully this baba will be the same. There is a long way to go before sweeps and inductions though, so kinda stressed me out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Northwestnelly

cornflake1 wrote: »
    How is everyone? Had my 12 week scan today, all good. However she is already talking about induction as I am 41. Says she won't let me go over my due date and will give a sweep at 38 weeks. Kinda early to be talking about this stuff. I was offered a sweep at 38 weeks on my firstborn and declined. The consultant I had then said it was unlikely to work at 38 weeks anyway, so why go through the discomfort! My firstborn was 9 days early so hopefully this baba will be the same. There is a long way to go before sweeps and inductions though, so kinda stressed me out a bit.

Great news that everything went well at the 12 week scan, it's such a huge milestone. I don't know what a sweep is but I always think that if you're not happy get a second opinion. You have loads of time to talk to another consultant, even as a casual chat, but at least you'll be armed with all the info you need. And you'll be able to fight your case if needs be.

Great news that everything went well at the 12 week scan, it's such a huge milestone. I don't know what a sweep is but I always think that if you're not happy get a second opinion. You have loads of time to talk to another consultant, even as a casual chat, but at least you'll be armed with all the info you need. And you'll be able to fight your case if needs be.
    Thanks Northwestnelly. Feeling better about today. Just wasn't expecting to talk about induction so early on. Yes, great milestone to reach, reassurance that all is fine with baby so far. Can go public now too and finally put on my maternity jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I totally agree. I've already decided I won't be having a sweep if they "offer". They can do something called a Bishopscore instead rather than a sweep.

http://birthtobaby.ie/to-sweep-or-not-to-sweep/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Meem

Hi ladies - thought id join you all. Due June 25th and in the Coombe. Go for booking in & first scan appointment December 19th when fingers crossed il be 13 weeks :)

• Advertisement

I had my early glucose tolerance test this morning (checking early due to gestational diabetes on previous pregnancy).
    I totally forgot I was fasting this morning and had some chewing gum. I didn't mention it in case they sent me away (had managed to get the 17 month old up to grannys, and myself into the hospital by 8am, didn't want the effort to have been in vein!). Hopefully it won't have impacted my bloods. Hopefully I'll get the all clear. I fully expect to have GD later, but with another 25 weeks to go, I really don't want to have to start balancing my diet this early...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 June18zellie

Thought I’d join here,myself and the misses expecting our first around 13 June.

Any tips on any good easy books to read for myself,basically abc of the first few months??

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Hi ladies, mind if u join you! This is my 6th pregnancy with 3 at home, had an early miscarraige and also a second trimester loss, was quiet a shock to find out this time round as I'm 40 but all sinking in now :-)

I am due 11th of June so just over 16 weeks now, hope everyone is enjoying there Christmas x

Hi ladies, hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. Welcome to the newcomers! Anyone tempted to buy anything in the sales? Had a look for some clothes but didn't see anything nice. Spending the night trawling through asos now as I'm running out of clothes fast and most of my stuff from previous pregnancy is either 2big or just blahhh if u know what I mean.

I'm at the maternity jeans and baggy jumpers phase. Only got out of them a year ago, so they are still grand.
    I have started to feel little kicks this week. So lovely. So reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Red67

I'm in maternity jeans a few weeks. I'm so much bigger this time than last. Our little girl was 1 last week. I had my first hospital appointment this week. It feels like we only left it with her yesterday. I got a little scan that I wasn't expecting. Great to see baby moving and all the little fingers and toes

Yeah in maternity jeans a few weeks can fit in regular jeans but just too much of a squeeze. Got a couple of nice comfy pairs in topshop. I thought I felt a kick or 2 the past week, hopefully it will become a regular thing soon. I have a doppler I use every couple of days or so and that gives some reassurance till regular movements begin x

amor3 wrote:
    Yeah in maternity jeans a few weeks can fit in regular jeans but just too much of a squeeze. Got a couple of nice comfy pairs in topshop. I thought I felt a kick or 2 the past week, hopefully it will become a regular thing soon. I have a doppler I use every couple of days or so and that gives some reassurance till regular movements begin x

How are you finding the Doppler? I'm a bit terrified of them, I can imagine I would just get stressed if I did it wrong and didn't find the heartbeat. I'd say though it could be great reassurance for those less anxious/ technically inept than me!

How are you finding the Doppler? I'm a bit terrified of them, I can imagine I would just get stressed if I did it wrong and didn't find the heartbeat. I'd say though it could be great reassurance for those less anxious/ technically inept than me!

I love the doppler, it's a pretty good one. I have bad aniexty so it's very useful for me. It can be tricky if you don't know what to listen for and therefore pick up your own heartbeat instead of baby's but I had it for my previous pregnancy as well so I can pick it up within a few minutes. It gets me by til my next appointment but I do appreciate it's not for everyone x

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

Has anyone heard of an uberchilld travel system?? seem to have a good sale on now, and online reviews seem good, but hard to find out more!

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard of an uberchilld travel system?? seem to have a good sale on now, and online reviews seem good, but hard to find out more!
    Sorry I haven't heard of that brand but i haven't looked at buggies etc since my first in 2012 so i'm prob out of the loop as to what brands are about at the mo

Hi Ladies, I'm here on nights having a nose online for clothes and boohoo.com do a maternity line and there is currently 50% off everything. handy for basic Tees, cami tops, jersey dresses etc Might be useful to some

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thread here discussing it https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057667501/2/#post105377880

I'm in the hospital in the morning for fasting plasma bloods.. had gestational diabetes on previous pregnancies but apparently the protocol has all changed since last time!

amor3 wrote:
    I'm in the hospital in the morning for fasting plasma bloods.. had gestational diabetes on previous pregnancies but apparently the protocol has all changed since last time!

Interesting. In what way has it changed? I had it too on previous pregnancy (baby born july 16), but only borderline. Had I been in the uk or any other country I wouldn't have been considered GD. I had my fasting bloods done last month and they were fine so far (as far as I know, it would have been unusual to have it as early as 15 weeks I was tested). The test was the same as last time though.

I hope all goes well this morning, and that you have a good book with you!

Interesting. In what way has it changed? I had it too on previous pregnancy (baby born july 16), but only borderline. Had I been in the uk or any other country I wouldn't have been considered GD. I had my fasting bloods done last month and they were fine so far (as far as I know, it would have been unusual to have it as early as 15 weeks I was tested). The test was the same as last time though.

I hope all goes well this morning, and that you have a good book with you!

Thank you.

On my second pregnancy I developed gd and was put into the diabetic clinic at 28 weeks and on the following 2 pregnancies I was automatically attending the clinic and I was on tablets for the last pregnancy. This time round I am in the public clinic, random blood done at booking, then a fasting plasma test done every 6 weeks to check and then gtt at 28.. first fasting plasma today, so if it comes back ok I can still attend the public clinic but if it's abnormal il be back in the diabetic clinic. I'm attending the coombe so not sure if other hospitals are similar x

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LoveBrowsing

Hi Ladies, hope you are all doing well.

I've a quick question in relation to ante natal classes - we were going to pay for a full day course rather than go to multiple classes in the hospital, it doesn't really suit with work etc, but I'm wondering is it more beneficial to do it in the hospital itself?

Does anyone have any advice on this? We're going to Holles Street.

Thanks a million

I've a quick question in relation to ante natal classes - we were going to pay for a full day course rather than go to multiple classes in the hospital, it doesn't really suit with work etc, but I'm wondering is it more beneficial to do it in the hospital itself?

We did 3 (I think) hospital-run antenatal classes on our first. It was good and we got some great tips about labouring, pain management, care after birth etc. What I found really beneficial was seeing the various wards (delivery, post-natal, pre-natal etc). I found seeing the size of the delivery room and all the contraptions extremely reassuring. It helped me to visualize the labour, though nothing can really prepare you for it.
    And we met some parents who had just met their little babies, and that was a great reminder that it would all be worth it.

Im not sure if private courses could give you that.
    You know your employer has to give you time off for antenatal classes.

On another note, I am so excited and nervous about Wednesday, when we have our anomaly scan.
    I can't believe I'll be 20 weeks next week. I felt like I was way more pregnant fit that scan last time. This pregnancy is flying by.

I'm at the stage now that I wake up with a bump! From weeks 15-18 I was going to bed with a bump, but was just fat looking in the morning. Now my bump is more permanent, and is still there in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 LoveBrowsing

Thanks for your reply the_sonandmoon. You've made my mind up for me, although a full day would be easier the one thing that was drawing me to the hospital classes was being able to see the wards etc. I feel very naive sometimes :)

Good luck with your scan on Wednesday!

Advertisement