Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame sizing and fit, awkward handlebars!?

Options
  • 24-09-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, I had been riding my bike for a while since I bought it with the handlebars at the wrong angle to what they are on most racers without even knowing until I brought it for a service and the chap pointed it out. He changed it anyway and also checked height against the seat level and adjusted that slightly.

It felt a bit more comfortable the way it was before, but I did the odd bit of neck strain, but that could have been down to my infrequent use of it.

I haven't noticed the strain since I've had it adjusted, but again, that could be as I'm cycling more anyway, but it didn't feel as comfortable for me and the brakes require quite a stretch for me to get to and leaning over to grip lower when cycling fast is a big stretch too.

I was thinking that maybe the handlebars are too far extended for me. I'm 6ft but not sure what my reach is.

Anyway, my friend has his bike with him the other night and the frame itself seemed shorter, he had the same extender on the handlebars, but as the frame was shorter, putting both bikes side my side, my handlebars were a good 10cm or so in front of his.

Would anyone have any advice on how to know the bike is the right fit for me? I'm thinking I might need a shorter thing for the handlebars, but I'm not sure if this will fix the issue? Any suggestions on where I might go that could possibly change this and fit me properly at the same time?

Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're putting the KM in pay for a proper fitting.

One option:

Bikefittingireland / Aidan Hammond
    Le Blaireau, Quill Road, Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow
    (01) 276 5715
    https://g.co/kgs/3kCDwD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If you could post the bike model and frame size along with your height we'd have an idea if it's ballpark the right size for you.
    Frame sizes go up in ~2cm sizes typically.
    The yoke you speak of is called the stem, typically 80mm-130mm is about the range you see in theses so depending on the size of this already you may or may not be able to shorten/lengthen it much.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the recommendation for the fitter. I'm not sure I warrant the cost of that with my mileage but good to know about if I can't get it right DIY :)

Sorry, I thought I attached pictures in the original post but looks like I forgot :)

This is the thread I bought it from originally, says a 55cm frame

I'm about 181/2cm myself I think, or 6ft with shoes on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You can adjust the reach of the brake levers to make them easier to reach in certain positions. I did so and found it made a hell of a difference.

Firstly... I'd say the bike is too small for you at that height. 55cm is typically for the 5'8 rider give or take 2 inches.
    However it might be fine with a longer stem for you but you really need someone to look at you properly.
    I'm not sure how Giant sizes are compared to other brands....

Im guéssing your riding is pretty relaxed/casual from what I see.
    One thing you could do is put the spacers under your stem (and rotate the stem so that it points up instead of down).. to give a more relaxed Riding position.

Have a look on YouTube aswell about setting saddle height and general bike fitting.

I ride 2 54cm bikes and I'm 5'7... and it looks to me that your saddle is quite low... now that's hardly a qualified statement as I haven't seen you on the bike... but considering your height it looks lower than mine would be.

Marty.

• Advertisement

Actually... I think the size is bigger than I thought as the 55.5 is the actual top tube length on that particular bike.
    When compact frames first came out some manufacturers gave actual TT length and others gave virtual length(straight line length).
    Virtual length would be longer on that bike, prob 58-60 which is what you'd be looking for in modern day sizing.
    Honestly you need a club cyclist to look st you on the bike...
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation for the fitter. I'm not sure I warrant the cost of that with my mileage but good to know about if I can't get it right DIY :)

Sorry, I thought I attached pictures in the original post but looks like I forgot :)

This is the thread I bought it from originally, says a 55cm frame

I'm about 181/2cm myself I think, or 6ft with shoes on :P

So you've been riding the bike for the last 10 years with the bars turned down towards the ground and the shifters in that position? No wonder you find it uncomfortable now!

Who set the bars/shifters in that position? Did you not think from seeing other bikes that yours looked completely different/odd in comparison?

The original ad says the bike is M/L and so it may be a tad big for you. If you fit a shorter stem it may help you comfort wise.

The original ad says the bike is M/L and so it may be a tad big for you. If you fit a shorter stem it may help you comfort wise.

He says he's 6 foot... surely it's not too big?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the replies. Yep, I'd be 6ft with shoes on so I think the frame size is probably ok, just the handlebars seem a little bit too far away so maybe I need a shorter stem and it should be ok then? Maybe I could try get a photo of me on the bike, would that help?

I'm definitely a casual rider and have ridden it very little since I bought it and just starting to get back into it now and trying to cycle places where I would have driven before, so I never really paid attention to it or to other cyclists, the bars and shifters were that way (the before pic) since I bought it so I just assumed that was correct until the guy doing the service last year pointed out they aren't the right way.

Advertisement