Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interning... what to do?

Options
  • 24-09-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My question isn't so much an issue as just a general request for opinions...

So I've just finished a college degree with a First Class Honours and am really interested in getting into journalism, even though it's not my field of study (I studied business with a language). I was lucky enough to find a six-month (unpaid) internship in a small media outlet and am six weeks in. My problem relates to the fact I'm beginning to feel a little bit lost as the only intern in a small work environment. At the beginning I had a good relationship with the head person there who was lively, encouraging, gave me direction and pointed out my mistakes to me so I could improve... The problem is that this person has now left and the deputy who has taken up the role temporarily is totally different... quiet, barely acknowledges me, silently corrects my faults which I don't often see because they don't tell me... and generally i'm left a bit in the background.
    I believe this company get a lot of interns and I really want to use this time wisely, to ask the right questions and be interested, to show I'm not only there because I have to be/because school/college requires it etc. I had no problem with not being paid because I knew that going into the role, but the fact I am a little bit left on the periphery even though I do actually do a lot of the work is beginning to dampen my enthusiasm... I feel almost uncomfortable asking outright if I can do this or that, I feel like it's sort of implied that I have my place and that's that..

Am I being too sensitive? Because I am naturally quite reserved and often being bold and assertive frightens me a bit. I feel I have grasped the job I'm doing quite well and am not struggling in any way. Do I just need to work away and try and muster up the courage to be more forward at the right times, or am I just thinking too much? I am enjoying the work otherwise and am gaining great experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

As a journalist, you won't go far in your career unless you take initiative. It's such a cut throat, dog-eat-dog industry that waiting to be told what to do is like professional suicide.

Find people in the company and ask them can you shadow them for a week. Watch everyone super close and then do what they do. Network, network, network. Ask to meet people for coffee. Have chats. Take chances.

You aren't getting paid and if they have a high turnover of interns, I can guarantee you there is no job for you at the end of it so now is the time to take risks.

The worst that could happen is you don't get noticed.

The best career advice I was ever given is "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission". Best of luck.

Advertisement