Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn over crates

• 24-09-2017 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for a turn over crate

As was at rams feet there yesterday before let off with sheep and I've quite big lowland rams,and maybe I'm not not strong enough etc

But finding it took 2 of us to knock biggest of them,and with the father getting older,me getting tighter timewise etc want something to simplify and make things easier (why have sheep :pac: )

Looking for recommondations of good types that lads use,we had access to a type before (place I worked during school holidays etc) and found it quite dangerous and potentially hazardous to sheep feet as they could get caught

Unsure if TAMS is applicable to this,but have had a good year pricewise so so long as not ridcolus would be ok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

As was at rams feet there yesterday before let off with sheep and I've quite big lowland rams,and maybe I'm not not strong enough etc

But finding it took 2 of us to knock biggest of them,and with the father getting older,me getting tighter timewise etc want something to simplify and make things easier (why have sheep :pac: )

Looking for recommondations of good types that lads use,we had access to a type before (place I worked during school holidays etc) and found it quite dangerous and potentially hazardous to sheep feet as they could get caught

Unsure if TAMS is applicable to this,but have had a good year pricewise so so long as not ridcolus would be ok

We have a Bateman at home, found it very easy to work with but rarely ever trim anything now, inject if think its foot rot or footbath. Most of the time trimming doesn't speed up recovery and can cause problems if overtrimmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dont see any use for them. Upgrade existing handling options if the moneys burning a hole in your pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

We have a Bateman at home, found it very easy to work with but rarely ever trim anything now, inject if think its foot rot or footbath. Most of the time trimming doesn't speed up recovery and can cause problems if overtrimmed

Bateman here too. We researched them for a while and it is excellent. Turn everything over once a year. The Bateman has a head lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

adam14 wrote: »
    Bateman here too. We researched them for a while and it is excellent. Turn everything over once a year. The Bateman has a head lock.

General advice is not to trim them, if you can keep their feet on the ground they ware themselves , regular footbathing here keeps them alright, I use the rollover crate for crutching sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I agree with tangled. The footvax is also a good job. But to answer yer question the best one I've seen is the IAE turnover crate. Had a Ritchie and my elbows are still banjaxed from using it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I see the argument for and against them, but if you had one you wouldn't sell it!

I ran through 180 ewes last week, turned them gave them a dose, checked udder and teeth in just over 2 hours.

I bought one off odonnell in emly and it was a piece of crap, it was like the built it without ever putting a sheep near it, then tried a cormac one which was the same rough design pure ****e too, and finally got an IAE one, and it is a joy to work with.

roosky wrote: »
    I see the argument for and against them, but if you had one you wouldn't sell it!

I ran through 180 ewes last week, turned them gave them a dose, checked udder and teeth in just over 2 hours.

I bought one off odonnell in emly and it was a piece of crap, it was like the built it without ever putting a sheep near it, then tried a cormac one which was the same rough design pure ****e too, and finally got an IAE one, and it is a joy to work with.

Idk. Didnt think there would be a need for a turnover crate for any of those jobs?

Idk. Didnt think there would be a need for a turnover crate for any of those jobs?

Only dosed them in it because they were restrained, wouldn't turn them specially, same for teeth but i like to turn them to check udders

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

rangler1 wrote:
    General advice is not to trim them, if you can keep their feet on the ground they ware themselves , regular footbathing here keeps them alright, I use the rollover crate for crutching sometimes

I know and don't agree. Sheep much better for it over last number of years since we bought it. They do get a lot of foot bathing but I stand by checking them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

How much was the IAE one??
    https://iae.co.uk/product-agriculture/kwik-turnover-crate/

Anyone any experience with these??

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/sheep-turnover-crates-grant-approved/11393680

I agree that maybe they are rarely used,but I do think they'll be like a haybob,only dear the day you buy it?

I'm just not strong enough in particular to knock them rams (short necked texels,and big weights),coupled with a few injuries from cycling has left me wary of too much dragging and I was in ribbons the other day and still going through physio and these injuries might never heal properly

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/sheep-turnover-crates-grant-approved/11393680

I agree that maybe they are rarely used,but I do think they'll be like a haybob,only dear the day you buy it?

I'm just not strong enough in particular to knock them rams (short necked texels,and big weights),coupled with a few injuries from cycling has left me wary of too much dragging and I was in ribbons the other day and still going through physio and these injuries might never heal properly
    Idk. I sure as hell wouldnt like to be knocking our rams.i see the sheaerer has a job with them If their lame in jection and footbath is handiest.
    Turn over crate seems like just one of thise things that arent necessary.

I think i gave 800 for it but thats about 5 years ago now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The only way I can see one being useful is in a race setup. So I'd be getting a race before a turn over crate

ganmo wrote: »
    The only way I can see one being useful is in a race setup. So I'd be getting a race before a turn over crate

Oh sorry ya i didnt make that clear a complete waste of money if your going to grab the sheep and drag him/her to the turn over crate, i have mine in the race all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Only dosed them in it because they were restrained, wouldn't turn them specially, same for teeth but i like to turn them to check udders

You can miss lumps in the udder when the sheep's upside down, I used to turn them every year but got sense when I increased to over 500 ewes, and was delighted then when the experts advised against paring feet, I had given up at that stage anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Haven't pared a foot in years here. Just too hard in the back. cull anything with bad feet, throw €10 to it and get a ewe lamb with better feet. Only buying Rams with black hoofs also. Found ones with any trace of white in them more prone to foot problems.

Advertisement