Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sky Q as good as it's made out to be?

Options
  • 24-09-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Anybody here use Sky Q and could share their opinions on it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's pretty good. Had Virgin Horizon box before this and Sky Q has some nice features like casting of YouTube from device and air play (pretty sure this is what it is anyway, play music from your device and cast to sky box? ) the uograded remote is worth the money IMO as it makes navigating easier. It also beeps if you lose it by pressing a button on the box.
    Menus are a bit over complicated but all in all yeah, it's better than a Sky HD box and better than a Horizon box and miles better than an Eir or Vodafone TV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Celtic12c

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's pretty good. Had Virgin Horizon box before this and Sky Q has some nice features like casting of YouTube from device and air play (pretty sure this is what it is anyway, play music from your device and cast to sky box? ) the uograded remote is worth the money IMO as it makes navigating easier. It also beeps if you lose it by pressing a button on the box.
    Menus are a bit over complicated but all in all yeah, it's better than a Sky HD box and better than a Horizon box and miles better than an Eir or Vodafone TV box.

How about the on demand movie selection ? I was told the movie selection is fantastic.. almost every movie available in every genre on the Sky Cinema package?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Celtic12c wrote:
    How about the on demand movie selection ? I was told the movie selection is fantastic.. almost every movie available in every genre on the Sky Cinema package?

Definitely not the case. I'm not a sports fan at all so movies are my thing. While they have plenty of movies there are tons of new releases that they don't show at all. For example The Hateful Eight, quentin tarantinos latest movie, is out close to three years now and it's still not on sky. It is is on Amazon though

I'm on half price sky at the moment but once I'm out of that I'm going back to free to air Irish and UK channels with netflix and Amazon. The quality of netflix programs is right up there with sky Atlantic. All original content is now in 4k and HDR. It's the same for Amazon, all original content is 4k and HDR. Sky don't have HDR at all. Sky charge you 15 euro per month for HD alone. You can get Amazon & Netflix Inc HD, 4K & HDR for 22 euro per month.

Bottom line is that I like Sky Q but feel it's not worth anything more than a 40 per month inc movies, HD and 4K. It's way overpriced. I suggest you try free to air, netflix and Amazon. It's only a 30 day contract so if you still feel you need sky you can cancel Amazon and Netflix

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Definitely not the case. I'm not a sports fan at all so movies are my thing. While they have plenty of movies there are tons of new releases that they don't show at all. For example The Hateful Eight, quentin tarantinos latest movie, is out close to three years now and it's still not on sky. It is is on Amazon though

I'm on half price sky at the moment but once I'm out of that I'm going back to free to air Irish and UK channels with netflix and Amazon. The quality of netflix programs is right up there with sky Atlantic. All original content is now in 4k and HDR. It's the same for Amazon, all original content is 4k and HDR. Sky don't have HDR at all. Sky charge you 15 euro per month for HD alone. You can get Amazon & Netflix Inc HD, 4K & HDR for 22 euro per month.

Bottom line is that I like Sky Q but feel it's not worth anything more than a 40 per month inc movies, HD and 4K. It's way overpriced. I suggest you try free to air, netflix and Amazon. It's only a 30 day contract so if you still feel you need sky you can cancel Amazon and Netflix

Sky brag about having the best selection of tv show boxsets compared to other subscription services on their skyboxsets package? would you agree with that?
    I agree Sky is expensive in comparison to other subscription services.. However those other services don't give channels like Sky do, but even so Sky is very overpriced. Sky Q is made out to be fantastic but is it really much better than Sky+HD apart from a new box, remote and menu layout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Same sh1te different day.

My contract is up in the first week of January thank god.

• Advertisement

Same sh1te different day.

My contract is up in the first week of January thank god.

So, it's not that good then? The way they advertise it, it's like it's the best thing you could get for movies and tv shows

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Celtic12c wrote:
    Sky brag about having the best selection of tv show boxsets compared to other subscription services on their skyboxsets package? would you agree with that? I agree Sky is expensive in comparison to other subscription services.. However those other services don't give channels like Sky do, but even so Sky is very overpriced. Sky Q is made out to be fantastic but is it really much better than Sky+HD apart from a new box, remote and menu layout?

It's been awhile since I had Sky HD but I thought I remember box sets on Sky HD.
    They do have a large selection of box sets and I've watched all the ones I am interested in.

I just said on another sky thread that I can't think of a reason to change from Sky HD to Sky Q unless you want 4k content. 4k is limited at the moment but you need multiroom to get 4k and that costs 15 per month. You still have to pay 15 for HD so if you want HD & 4K then you will pay 30 euro per month extra. That's scary

The Sky Q remote is cool and a big improvement. The Sky Q menu takes a little bit of getting used to but it's good

In summary the remote, box and menu are good. Movie selection isn't as good as they make out. Plenty of box sets. I don't like sports so don't know about that. The installation is expensive especially multiroom for 2 or more rooms. Once the main box is set up it takes minutes to pair new boxes, you could do this yourself, yet the installation is expensive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Celtic12c wrote: »

I've never used the on demand for films, but use catch up tv a small bit which is good, but to be fair not as comprehensive as Virgin.

Worth noting that if you have any way a big TV, you need the HD as the standard picture is pretty poor. HD is standard on Virgin but extra on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Celtic12c wrote: »
    So, it's not that good then? The way they advertise it, it's like it's the best thing you could get for movies and tv shows

In fairness, what other way would any company advertise their products?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

In fairness, what other way would any company advertise their products?

Can picture Idris Elba now saying "Introducing Sky Q, it's only alright"

Advertisement