Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening Bank Account in UK

• 24-09-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Has anyone been through the process of opening a bank account in the UK? I currently bank with HSBC Canada and will be moving to Ireland for a few years to work. Unfortunately, HSBC does not have any retail operations in Ireland. They do have locations in Northern Ireland and I was hoping to put my savings there for ease of keeping all my global accounts with one institution and have the benefit of my transferring my credit history. 
    I've done some research but there wasn't much information I could find and HSBC is taking awhile to respond to my inquiries. Any experience (with any bank) or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You are aware that using a bank in NI will be in £ and not in €?

Anyhow, HBSC has processes that make it easier for you to open an account with HSBC UK directly from Canada. You need to contact your local International Banking Centre in your country. The advantage is less paperwork and your credit history moves with you as you pointed out.

Otherwise once you are in Ireland you can (as long as the UK is still in the EU) open a non resident account with several different UK banks by either online methods (fintech banks like monese etc.) or via postal mail (Ulster for example) or a short visit with paperwork (Nationwide for example).

While you are not in the EU it is going to be harder due to the money laundry regulations and the need to identify you. Using HSBC is going to make it so much easier to give you a starting point.

But if you go the UK route remember you have the currency risk from CAN $ to UK £ to € etc. So if you move back to Canada you might be better off keeping your savings there. But that will come down to your own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Try the revolut app
    Has multiple iban and uk acc numbers for transferring funds once verified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

As much as I like the Revolut App it's not a bank and your money is not guaranteed so it's not really a good place for savings that the OP wants to do.

Great as an early start to get an account and do some cheap currency transfer but not to park savings.

Advertisement