Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Scams

Options
  • 24-09-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've recently posted an online advert to sell my 3 year old gaming laptop on Gumtree, and not long after I had a request from someone supposedly based in Qatar to buy it. He proposed to have it done by online bank transfer and have me post my laptop to him. I did try to tell him that the cost would be crazy and would be simple for him to get a laptop in Qatar and he insisted even when I told him it would be €200 in shipping (my laptop was 4kg in all)

Of course this was a scam but I thought I might just entertain this dude to waste his time.
    I list the details below if anyone else comes across the same person, you know what to do!
    Name Used: Cutis Lemar (Fake I think)
    Email: cutislemar9(at)gmail.com (Also Fake I believe)

The details below were given after supposedly he banked in the money to me (Some badly Photoshoped faked Bank of Canada Slip):-
    Name: <removed>
    Address: 55 Salwa Road, Street 23, Al Aziziyal
    City: Doha,
    State: Doha,
    PostCode: 00000
    Mobile:+97466425927

I thought I'd post it here, so everyone is aware and the information is searchable by others. I dont have permission to add my links or screencaps of my conversations with the scammer as I am a new user.

A reminder as well to all, to be extra careful when dealing with stuff online :) If it is too good to be true, usually is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Fingers crossed you can get a proper windup going with him. It's always fun reading about scammers getting burned.
    Best of luck OP :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭harvindhillon

FanadMan wrote: »
    Fingers crossed you can get a proper windup going with him. It's always fun reading about scammers getting burned.
    Best of luck OP :-D

Haha I actually did, he still thinks the package is coming his way :)

This was how it started, obviously it was a laptop that I was selling not a phone!
    Hi !

The following is a reply from Cutis to your "MSI GT70 2OC" Ad on Gumtree:

Email: cutislemar9(at)gmail.com

Hi, I am interested to make purchase of your phone?

You can respond to "Cutis" by replying to this email.

He pushed when I told him the postage was going to be expensive, I even quoted him €200 for postage and he seemed fine... Alarms bell again :)
    Cutis lemar <cutislemar9(at)gmail.com> Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    To: Harvin Dhillon <xxxxxxxgmail.com>
    Well.. I know it's a heavy laptop and i am not asking you to post without payment off course.. If you can provide your bank details right now. i will transfer the online payment..

Many Thanks..

Of course as always a crappy email supposedly by the "Royal Bank of Canada". Again everyone shouldnt trust this blindly and always check if the money is actually in their account
    Personal Banking
    September 21, 2017 05:25 PDT
    Transaction ID: SW1100591978KMS

Hello Harvin Dhillion,
    You received a payment of €1000.00 EUR from Cutis Lemar

Thanks for using RBC ROYAL BANK To see all the transaction details,.It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Seller Protection - Eligible

BUYER
    Cutis Lemar
    Note to seller
    Hi, I'm pleased to have bought the ITEM and have paid via Bank Transfer as requested. Please Post As Gift!.
    NAME AND ADDRESS - confirmed

Address: 55 Salwa road street 23 al aziziyal.

Of course I played along, searched google for some pictures of a DHL Shipping Slip and Package pics that looked about the right size, and he completely bought it :)
    Harvin Dhillon <xxxxxxxgmail.com>
    AttachmentsSep 22 (3 days ago)
    to Cutis

Hi Cutis,

DHL picked up the package this morning, the cost was 82€

I will refund you the balance 178€, please can you give me you bank info so I can proceed?

Best Regards,
    Harvinder

Of course I asked him for my money and this was his reply
    Cutis lemar
    Sep 22 (3 days ago)

to me
    Ok.. As long as the bank has verified the shipping details there's nothing to worry about.. Usually international transfer take 2 or 3 business days so hopefully you will get your money soon.. I will wait until your fund clear before i can ask for refund i guess that is how business suppose to be..

Let just wait for couple business days for fund to clear..

Many Thanks..

He got upset once the tracking number wasnt working
    Cutis lemar
    Sep 22 (3 days ago)

to me
    Hello.

Just wondering if you could able to get the tracking details for the package as it wont work on my side.. I dont know why.. Thanks..

I managed to photoshop the DHL tracking page and send him a copy, I initially got the dates wrong and I he picked up on those... Shoddy work on my part I know lol
    Cutis lemar
    Sep 22 (3 days ago)

to me
    Wait a minute please.. I am so lost right now.. Look at what you sent to me.. Date and everything.. This shipment is just been shipped today. But why is the date Wed 20.9.17? Plus i have put the same number on DHL website just to check it's not working.. Can you please explain thanks..

I recovered
    Harvin Dhillon <xxxgmail.com>
    Sep 22 (3 days ago)

to Cutis
    Hmm you are right, I didn't realise that. The time is correct cause it was picked up around 8am something this morning not sure why the date is wrong.

It's ok the Irish DHL site you need to key in. I tried with other DHL site it says not found.

Regards,
    Harvin

I even told him that his bank sent me a verification email saying the shipping details were correct, why is it that it is wrong now? Again he asked me to show him how I did it.. I corrected the fake DHL page and resent it but with some disguised links to spam sites I got from my spam folder :D

He was visibly upset of course haha, and I kept playing dumb
    Cutis lemar
    Sep 23 (2 days ago)

to me
    Well. I sent the shipping details to DHL and they told me it's invalid.. So now i am a bit confused and only you know what you doing right now because i don't understand.. Ireland tracking information is not like that.. That was not a real shipping details.. You need to come clear and just play your game right....I can't be fool for this one.. I will email the bank now because shipping information shouldn't be so hard to trace also DHL can't even find it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Hi OP,

You'd probably be interested in this scambaiting site. Some great stories on it.

http://www.419eater.com/
    I've recently posted an online advert to sell my 3 year old gaming laptop on Gumtree, and not long after I had a request from someone supposedly based in Qatar to buy it. He proposed to have it done by online bank transfer and have me post my laptop to him. I did try to tell him that the cost would be crazy and would be simple for him to get a laptop in Qatar and he insisted even when I told him it would be €200 in shipping (my laptop was 4kg in all)

Of course this was a scam but I thought I might just entertain this dude to waste his time.
    I list the details below if anyone else comes across the same person, you know what to do!
    Name Used: Cutis Lemar (Fake I think)
    Email: cutislemar9(at)gmail.com (Also Fake I believe)

The details below were given after supposedly he banked in the money to me (Some badly Photoshoped faked Bank of Canada Slip):-
    Address: 55 Salwa Road, Street 23, Al Aziziyal
    Mobile:+97466425927

I thought I'd post it here, so everyone is aware and the information is searchable by others. I dont have permission to add my links or screencaps of my conversations with the scammer as I am a new user.

A reminder as well to all, to be extra careful when dealing with stuff online :) If it is too good to be true, usually is.

Nice thanks :) Will definitely post up.

He finally realised the game :)
    Cutis lemar
    10:12 AM (4 hours ago)
    to me

Dude you need to be playing your game nice.. Your forget your pictures is everywhere huh ;) i already have all your biography. Keep scamming people but you still need to learn more tho...

Hahahaha you probably think you fulling me but you fooling yourself if you like contact Dublin FBI department you ain't gone find **** asshole...

Special edition DHL Man that think idk he's fooling himself

Pussy Nucca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

The "Dublin FBI"... You're in trouble now :)

Gyck wrote: »
    The "Dublin FBI"... You're in trouble now :)

Haha, I made a mistake, I should have asked if he wanted me to refund his $$ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any idea where the email originated OP?

fryup wrote: »
    any idea where the email originated OP?

Not sure, the name is definitely Nigerian however I did find one person with the same name based out of Doha. Found a linkedin profile. Not sure if it is the right person though

If anyone is interested in full transcript

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a scammer with a linkedin profile lol, i suppose its a professional profession in a way

• Advertisement

Sorry to revive the thread but realised I got a PM from the scammer to convince me
    Dear Mr. Harvin,
    My name is Taofeek and at present I reside and work as a Quality Assurance Engineer in Qatar. I saw your post regarding someone who is trying to scam you from Qatar but unfortunately for me, the person used my name completely and this serves as a bad reputation for me, my friend and family.
    At first, let me introduce my self to you, my full name is Sanyaolu Taofeek Olajide. I am a registered engineer in Qatar and Nigeria. I have both M.Sc. and B.Sc. in Civil engineering from university of Ibadan, Nigeria and more so, am a full member of American Society for Quality (ASQ). I am God fearing type and very hard working. My colleagues at work, my lecturers in the university and my boss (both formal and present) can testify to this.
    I got to know of my name being mentioned under scam activities through google on Saturday when I was trying to test my popularity.
    Through out my life and up to present, I have never thought of scamming someone because of my personality. I forbid such a bad attitude and I will never do such in my life.
    For goodness sake, I want you to bring down the link or find any means that my name wont appear on such link because of my own reputation. I am ready to provide any details to convince you that am not a scammer and that, I have a legitimate job that I am doing.
    Thank you for your anticipated response.
    Regards,
    Taofeek

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A PM, not an email?

He is on Boards?

A PM, not an email?

He is on Boards?

Yea he registered I guess as taorich. I mean come on, who searches their name online unless they are looking for something :P and so soon after I exposed him.

Hope he learns his lesson lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yea he registered I guess as taorich. I mean come on, who searches their name online unless they are looking for something :P and so soon after I exposed him.

Hope he learns his lesson lol

I expect if I was told my name was being used in scams I also would trawl the web looking for mention of my name.

I would continue to do so for quite some time and if new mentions were posted up I would expect to discover them soon afterwards.

Advertisement