Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to open a BOI UK based account while resident in Ireland?

Options
  • 24-09-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I use BOI for the vast majority of my banking at the moment, however I would like to also open a UK based account. I'd like to stick with BOI for this, so I'm wondering if this is possible to do while I'm still resident in Ireland?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Hello,

I use BOI for the vast majority of my banking at the moment, however I would like to also open a UK based account. I'd like to stick with BOI for this, so I'm wondering if this is possible to do while I'm still resident in Ireland?

Many thanks

I’ve opened an account in NI no problems. You just have to prove your identity and Irish address. I used BOI Enniskillen but all the branches close to the border are well used to opening non resident accounts. Also I lodge cheques in my local branch in an envelope addresed to your NI branch they put it in internal mail so it is secure and fast. Cash lodgements are a pain as they won’t take cash on the counter so you have to use machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hello,

Many thanks

Hi Eoin247,

Thanks for getting in contact with us through Boards.

As andyeire said in the above message you would be able to open an account in any of our Northern Irish branches with Photo ID and a proof of address. The advisers in any of those branches would be more than happy to help you if you pop in or you can request call from our branch staff here so you can set an appointment to go in to a branch and discuss this.

Thanks again for your message.
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Do I have to go up north in person to open one of these accounts or would it be possible to complete the process by visiting a southern branch or via some other method? I live fairly far away from the border so if it's at all possible I'd like to avoid going on a long trip up north and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Do I have to go up north in person to open one of these accounts or would it be possible to complete the process by visiting a southern branch or via some other method? I live fairly far away from the border so if it's at all possible I'd like to avoid going on a long trip up north and back.

Contact branch you want to open account in. I was able to fill paperwork at local branch and send back through internal mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Thanks for getting back to us here Eoin247.
    If you can't make it to a Northern Irish branch I'd ask you to call our Northern Irish account opening section on 0044 800 0850 444 and the advisers there will be able to go through all the options available to you.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
Advertisement