Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to invest in an S&P 500 Index fund from Ireland?

Options
  • 24-09-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm an irish person based in Ireland and am interested in investing in US index funds but am a total newbie and don't even know if it's possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Yes, easily. Plenty of ETFs out there - see https://www.justetf.com/en/find-etf.html?groupField=none&sortField=ter&index=S%2526P%2B500%25C2%25AE&sortOrder=asc&dc=IE

What's your purpose for investing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quixotic231

Do you know if it's possible to invest in Vanguard funds? My purpose is to invest in a retirement fund (retirement is ~35 yrs away) - so I'm trying to figure out a low/medium risk long term investment strategy. I've just started reading on this subject but the 'Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund' sounds pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Do you know if it's possible to invest in Vanguard funds? My purpose is to invest in a retirement fund (retirement is ~35 yrs away) - so I'm trying to figure out a low/medium risk long term investment strategy. I've just started reading on this subject but the 'Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund' sounds pretty interesting.
    These ones right: http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F00000MLUQ ? Interesting concept alright, and indeed I looked at them too, however wasn't able to find any domiciled in Ireland (so the tax situation for someone based in Ireland would be poor, as these are domiciled in the UK.

You can of course buy any other Vanguard funds in a tax efficient manner, if you buy the Irish domiciled ones, and store in a PRSA - see these ones: https://www.justetf.com/uk/find-etf.html?dc=IE&groupField=index&assetClass=class-equity&ic=Vanguard
    Keep an eye out for Use of Profits: Accumulating. Much better than distributing, as it allows better compound interest.

And then buy whatever bonds etc. you want (as you talk about low / medium risk)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf
    Commission free ETFs available with Degiro.
    https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/the-tax-treatment-of-etfs-for-irish-residents.199443/
    Tax treatment of ETFs. US domiciled seem to make the most sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

If you want to buy them for a pension, you should buy them via a pension as it is more tax efficient. Davys have self-direct pensions that you can buy ETFs in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

OP, simply looking at Vanguard funds for retirement planning is very very vague. You don't mention anything about pensions, if you have one currently, if you have access to one etc etc. I think you need to get professional help (based on your first post about having no idea about being a total newbie). I honestly dont think you should be planning for retirement yourself in this scenario.

However, to your specific question about Vanguard funds - no you cannot buy Vanguard funds directly (in same manner as you can in the USA). As mentioned above, you can however buy ETFs that track said Vanguard funds. Index funds don't really exist in same manner as they do in the USA, hence any books you are reading about passive investing from USA are great in theory, but are completely ignorant of our tax laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 green98

Hi,

I'm an irish person based in Ireland and am interested in investing in US index funds but am a total newbie and don't even know if it's possible.
    Did you invest from Ireland? How did you go about it? Which platform did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LunAtlFringe

Cheapest platform is probably Degiro - the Irish platforms like Davy tend to be more expensive.

Another thing to be aware of -
    Irish taxes on funds and european domiciled etfs are kind of onerous (there is a very annoying rule about deemed disposal after 8 years) so a lot of people have been buying the US etfs which are simpler to deal with tax-wise. Since 1st Jan however it is impossible to buy US domiciled etfs as they have yet to produce some documentation for new European regulations.

Advertisement