Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my derailleur broken(?)

Options
  • 24-09-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I recently managed to break a crank on my commuting bike. When I replaced it, and put the chain back on, the chain looked way too long; on closer inspection, there seems to be a problem with the rear derailleur.

It seems to be moving in the correct way, but it won't take the slack in the chain. It occured to me that the chain might be too long, but I don't think that's the case (this has happened to me before, and the tension was strong enough in the derailleur that it doubled back on itself - this time it is just hanging slack).

Is there something that I need to tighten/adjust that just hasn't occured to me?

Thanks,

El T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Well ... if the video wasn't in the dark ... and if the bike wasn't upside down ... then ...

Anyway. I digress. From what I can make out in that video it certainly doesn't look like it's bolted to the bike properly. The RD shouldn't have any lateral play in it. The cage moves inboard/outboard on the spring.

Check that the chain is the right length, the RD spring will only take up an infinite amount of slack. You may need to remove links.
    Check that you have the chain routed correctly through the RD.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

El Tarangu wrote: »
    ...and put the chain back on, the chain looked way too long...
    Presumably you put the original chain back on? If so, it shouldn't be too long if it was ok previously.

As Plastik has asked, have you fed it through the jockey wheels correctly?

(You film would be a lot more useful if you showed with the chain in place).

Advertisement