Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 18 - Switch Edition (Discussion)

Options
  • 11-06-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This game is worthy of its own separate thread as it's given its own section on the EA website and they describe it as "the most technologically-advanced portable FIFA experience ever."

Hands on impressions and interview with FIFA 18 producer for the Nintendo Switch, Andrei Lazaresco.

FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the best portable FIFA ever
    But I wouldn't want to play it on my living room telly.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-11-fifa-18-on-nintendo-switch-is-the-best-portable-fifa-ever

Here's the only screenshot from EA's site. You can't even read the text clearly it's that good.
    fifa18-switchpage-yourway-lg-2x.jpg

Will you buy FIFA 18 for the Nintendo Switch? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Day 1 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The photo they show isn't a screenshot, it's an overlay photo put on the Switch screen, which is pretty ****ing lazy from EA all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

:rolleyes:

A first,
    A mildly trolling poll thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That Eurogamer interview has as many no answers as there were yes answers. And some of the answers are laughable. They're hoping people will just accept it for what it is.
    "We're using physical-based rendering. The crowds are 3D. The grass is 3D. The lighting is new. And on top of that you'll have Ultimate Team for the first time on Nintendo - and for the first time you'll be able to take it on the go. You'll be able to play on a plane, on a bus, even from just a hotspot."

3D grass(reminds me of advanced fish AI in COD)? Wow and thanks for making the Switch be able to play games portably, like that's not a built-in feature of the machine. Then read down further to what you can play from a hotspot.
    "Imagine, for example, an airline that provides Wi-fi - you'll be able to connect to Ultimate Team. Sure, maybe we won't be able to play a match together, but you'll still be able to connect for the transfers and manage your club."

So it's limited in what you can play at a hotspot Listen to this.
    " And if you have a console and I have a console, even without an internet connection we can play with each other."

Amazing. Must be some kind of black magic.

He reckons this is going to be one of the best games on Switch.
    " I have absolutely no worry saying we've built one of the best games you'll be able to play on the Switch."

Liar. He would say that though.

And Switch owners are hermits who've never played a FIFA game on another platform.
    "Does FUT on Switch work exactly the same as it does on the other platforms?

Andrei Lazaresco: Almost the same. There won't be any Champions on Switch.

Why not?

Andrei Lazaresco: For the first year we put in Draft Mode, Squad Building challenges, Seasons, Tournaments, Team of the Week challenges - all of those are there. Remember, this is the first year we introduce Ultimate Team to Switch players. We're taking it gradually. We're going to announce more about Ultimate Team at Gamescom later this year."

He doesn't want to confuse and overload our tiny little brains.

If this is a portable game will it have a price to reflect that? We all know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I found that interview strangely reassuring. It's a first edition, so they're going after the core mechanics first and seem to have an eye on the inevitable future annual releases for refining the experience. It's not what I expect of EA on Nintendo. It's sensible, and suggests they're after more than a quick buck, like Eric Trump's kiddy cancer venture it's potentially a decent foundation that's suffering because it's physically ugly and regrettably intertwined with a corrupt institution that would step on its own mother to get to a bag of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Why would fut champions be on the switch?
    It's the ranked competitive game mode, and this version isn't the standard version of fifa.

Its not the same as the xb1/ps4/pc version, the switch was never going to have the horsepower to run it.
    But I can't play Fifa on the go with the Ps4/xb1. Whether you use the portability or not, it's a massive differential.

All the early impressions of it from people online who have seen it/played it are pretty positive. They definitely included more than what has been speculated all this time. 1080/60fps is encouraging as well. The confirmation that Frostbite can run on the Switch, even if it wasn't used here, is also good news even if I don't think EA will bring out much using it.

Some screens of it. Hopefully get more shots of it and impressions over the rest of E3.

ZNKblwv.jpg
    roMz0Oz.jpg

Here's some off-screen footage. Much of it is out of focus, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5pQioPj44

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Corholio wrote: »
    Some screens of it. Hopefully get more shots of it and impressions over the rest of E3.

The state of that Switch, Jesus would it killed them to have some wipes handy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckon the game looks fantastic, and though I haven't invested in a new soccer game since Fifa on the 3DO, I might just pick this up.

It's still interesting that the most critical voice on this title, and the one that appears so determined to spin negative about it, is someone who, unfortunately, will have an infinite amount of time to await a Fifa title on his chosen Nintendo of choice, given that there isn't one.

On a positive note​ the fact that, bringing your console with you, the controllers allow you to have instant multiplayer games wherever you are.
    Not to mention adhoc links with other systems giving even more options, options you don't have with an anchored to the home PS4 or XB1.

Mr E wrote: »
    The state of that Switch, Jesus would it killed them to have some wipes handy?

Ya I was going to put a warning for anyone with OCD before I posted it :P

FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch Gameplay - How does it compare?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGFRCL66tEc

The game looks pretty decent, but it'll really be about how it plays.
    Once the game is smooth, responsive and fun, I'd say it'll do well, and serve as a nice purchase if you own a Switch.
    If you also own a PS4/XB1 or gaming PC it'll be a good alternative for on the go play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

Hey all,

I didn't see any other threads about this so I figured I'd start one. FIFA 18 is out on the switch later this week.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ea-sports-fifa-18-switch

Will you get it? What are your thoughts on it coming to a portable console that can be played multiplayer? Any expectations/ or doubts?

Personally I'm excited by it. Being able to play handheld FIFA is a big thing for me. I had FIFA on the DS when it came out, and while it was good, it was a very stripped back version when compared to other consoles. While the switch version will not run on the Frostbite, it is meant to run as well as on the last generation consoles, which I dont think is bad for a portable console.

I'm considering getting it, but not just yet.
    I'm not a soccer fan at all, not a soccer game fan either, but I'd love to support EA games on the format as sales are the only way that we are going to see braver decisions by EA and other 3rd parties to publish on the Switch.
    Fingers crossed it'll sell loads and I won't have to buy it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm considering getting it, but not just yet.
    I'm not a soccer fan at all, not a soccer game fan either, but I'd love to support EA games on the format as sales are the only way that we are going to see braver decisions by EA and other 3rd parties to publish on the Switch.
    Fingers crossed it'll sell loads and I won't have to buy it at all!

i have the exact same thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I will almost certainly be picking this up, unless the reviews are negative or it's broken in some way. Looking forward to some online play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Have mine pre-ordered from smyths. Only thing I'm worried about for this game is playing local multiplayer with split joy cons. If it doesn't work well I might have to shell out for either 2 more joy cons or the pro controller.
    Other than that I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

When I had my Sega Megadrive, PS1 and original Xbox, I used to always buy latest FIFA and play the hell out of it. Road to World Cup 98 was a particular favourite.

I skipped the 6th generation consoles. I have EA access on Xbox One and, TBH, I'm no longer that bothered about upgrading FIFA. I have FIFA 17 on Access and its grand for a quick game if I want it.

On the other hand, FIFA on Switch...yeah, I'm interested. If early feedback is good (and it seemed to be), I think I'll pick this up.

• Advertisement

Critically the connection is going to be the most important aspect of this port.
    If they can get that right it could be huge step forward for the game as a whole.

Online games while being mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'll be picking this up Friday. Looking forward to it, don't expect anything revolutionary though - but FIFA on the go will be enjoyable.

Unless it's horribly broken, I'll be grabbing it at some stage.

With NCT on Thursday and passport renewal due (and Christmas coming up), God knows when I'll be getting it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

ill be getting it. I havent another platform anymore.

It will do me for 3-4 years.

All i want is a fairly standard fifa, which this seems to cover. its 55 in smyths which is the best price ive seen thus far.

Looks like the cheapest digitally is about €50 from the US eShop.

https://eshop.calyh.re/

The size is over 14GB, so maybe retail is the way to go here unless you have massive SD cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Ill be pickin it up just to support ea on switch, it will probably sit on my shelf tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Ill be pickin it up just to support ea on switch, it will probably sit on my shelf tho.

are they using it to decide on ALL games? Or just sports games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

They pretty much pulled the plug on their wiiu support, so im assuming this is a taster for all their games. I cant answer indefinitelytho. im hopin this does well enough for them to bring other IPs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Think I'll get it when I get my switch.
    Haven't played a FIFA game in years. Can you still tackle the ref and run away from him if you get a red?

• Advertisement

I suppose the gas thing is that every single Fifa game, particularly the first one on each format, go on to form the lower layer in every bargain bin known to the that format.
    So, rest assured that the €60+ copy of Fifa 18 for the Switch will be worth €6 in 24 months at the outside!

That said, there's a lot of comfort to know that my Megadrive copy of Fifa and Madden are there, in case I implausibly find a need upon me to play early 90's examples of EA sporting games.

Advertisement