Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 18 - Switch Edition (Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

krennic77 wrote: »
    Have EA deliberately limited numbers so there's a shortage of Switch Fifa on shelves? Theres talk on Reddit of UK stores getting only small deliveries. The Smyths site says "out of stock" whereas the PS and XB versions allow you to pre-order. Argos only have the XB format listed?

Smyths told me today, you cant pre order it for the Switch at the moment but they should have stock for sale at the launch tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Which game was it that had a GAME shipment hijacked before?

It was a shipment of amiibo I think - the Splatoon triple pack I think, 'cause I ended up ordering them from Australia.

They also charged people for Mario Maker repeatedly ahead of the launch, then cancelled your order when your credit card eventually buckled under the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 krennic77

Smyths told me today, you cant pre order it for the Switch at the moment but they should have stock for sale at the launch tonight.

Reckon I'll just download it so. Fancy playing it tonight and would be miffed if I drove to my local Smiths out here in the sticks and was unlucky.

*edit* Hah, I just noticed your awesome name, Chardee! Love that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Golf Story is downloadable now. FIFA isn't yet, for some reason. Impulse to splurge receding...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

druss wrote: »
    Golf Story is downloadable now. FIFA isn't yet, for some reason. Impulse to splurge receding...

Because Golf Story is out today and Fifa 18 is out tomorrow/midnight tonight 29th.No trickery involved.

• Advertisement

Its live in the Aussie store but its 100 bucks, ~€67

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Here are some Gameplay videos that are emerging..

FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch 1080p60 Gameplay - Full Match

Fifa 18 - Nintendo Switch - Docked & Undocked

can't watch 'em at work. Any good? Much of a jump between docked/undocked? Does the 3D grass make all the difference?
    Who does the commentary these days? A soccer game ain't a soccer game without the run-over-saxophone tones of Lawro but I think he's the PES guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Banjo wrote: »
    can't watch 'em at work. Any good? Much of a jump between docked/undocked? Does the 3D grass make all the difference?
    Who does the commentary these days? A soccer game ain't a soccer game without the run-over-saxophone tones of Lawro but I think he's the PES guy...

I hope, some year, to have the DLC option of Brian Kerr commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think that looks great. :)

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    This week's Nintendo eShop downloads.

Switch Retail

FIFA 18 – €59.99 (available Tuesday)

Source: Nintendo PR

...wait, what? Tuesday???

Edit : Might be a typo, Nintendolife have it from tomorrow, 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Looks very slow and lag when docked but handheld looks great.

Going to wait for reviews.

I have a near 14 hour flight ahead of me next month so in no rush to get it for it.

What is plane Wi-Fi like will I be able to play online with it ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Looks very slow and lag when docked but handheld looks great.

Going to wait for reviews.

I have a near 14 hour flight ahead of me next month so in no rush to get it for it.

What is plane Wi-Fi like will I be able to play online with it ?.

Most plane wifi is limited to web browseing

Most plane wifi is limited to web browseing

Wait and see as I be in business class and I hope the limits are not going to be as bad there.

Otherwise what am I going to do!!

Wait and see as I be in business class and I hope the limits are not going to be as bad there.

Otherwise what am I going to do!!

Same Wifi across the plane generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

druss wrote: »
    I hope, some year, to have the DLC option of Brian Kerr commentary.

Greece playing the Czech Republic 2012

Brian Kerr - 'The Greeks have been chasing bouncing Czechs all night.'

The man has a genuinely great wit. And U would immediately buy that DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apparently the embargo on reviews for the Switch version is up at 11pm Irish time so should see a lot more impressions of it tonight before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Corholio wrote: »
    Apparently the embargo on reviews for the Switch version is up at 11pm Irish time so should see a lot more impressions of it tonight before release.

nothing yet but decent read on it here just posted...
    pretty much fifa 16 but decent enough for portable fifa...
    doesn't really need all the extra modes. just want to play soccer matches...
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fifa-18-on-the-switch-is-missing-much-more-than-just-the-journey

€65 in Argos, bloody hell!

Picked it up in Russian eshop for €52, it's €47 in the JP eshop but couldnt find a way to pay easily.

€65 in Argos, bloody hell!

Picked it up in Russian eshop for €52, it's €47 in the JP eshop but couldnt find a way to pay easily.

Argos all of a sudden have gotten **** with there pricing

• Advertisement

So it's fifa 16. That isn't to bad then.

The vita one I think was fifa 10 or 9. And not a hope that game ran at 60fps more like 30fps and the drops where quite bad in it as well.

I will more then likely pick it up in the next month but I won to see more reviews as on the switch console rayman has tought me that the shoulder bottons are arkword for holding down so fifa will 100% of the time be using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

kevin2me wrote: »
    nothing yet but decent read on it here just posted...
    pretty much fifa 16 but decent enough for portable fifa...
    doesn't really need all the extra modes. just want to play soccer matches...
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fifa-18-on-the-switch-is-missing-much-more-than-just-the-journey

I came here to post that article. Read it just now. It was interesting, sounds like it's not bad but it's not brilliant either. It's competent. In summary, "All of this makes it a stay away for hardcore fans; but for first-timers and families looking for some fun soccer, I think it works perfectly well as a stripped down port."

Hows the online play, stability? That should be the most important aspect.
    Also, Journey mode is not present but what are the single player aspects like here. Is there still a career mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 krennic77

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hows the online play, stability? That should be the most important aspect.
    Also, Journey mode is not present but what are the single player aspects like here. Is there still a career mode?

Played about 5 matches last night. Only one was a bit laggy so I put that down to the other guys connection. Other than that - rock solid in my limited experience. Not explored the single player much, though I notice that the latest squad update gives Meyler a little boost.

Eurogamer: Nintendo's half-arsed online cripples FIFA 18 on Switch
    In FIFA 18 on Switch, you can't play online with friends, and I personally lay the blame at Nintendo's feet. The Switch just doesn't have the online infrastructure in place that should be the bare minimum for any contemporary console, and FIFA 18 exposes that once again.

Nintendo's Switch doesn't have a built-in invite system, nor does it have a party system. The online service remains barebones, well after the console's launch and a couple of months after the dedicated mobile app - which we found to be severely lacking - went live. It's pitiful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Was gonna buy it today with my snes mini but it 60 quid in smyths. If it drops to 45 /50 ill bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

But I can play against my friends online in plenty of my Switch games, no reason why I can't in FIFA (I don't own it yet) so I don't think EA is exactly blameless here either. Nintendo's online offerings are years behind in many ways though.

EDIT: Just to be clear, all this should be done on a system level from Nintendo, and when they start charging next year I expect that to be the case.

krennic77 wrote: »
    Played about 5 matches last night. Only one was a bit laggy so I put that down to the other guys connection. Other than that - rock solid in my limited experience. Not explored the single player much, though I notice that the latest squad update gives Meyler a little boost.

Is there a Single player experience at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mr E wrote: »

Again, just came from reading the article. You've saved me the effort. Why can't Nintendo do better with online? There's nothing preventing them, it's their attitude, ineptitude and their always thinking about protecting the children.

• Advertisement

Yep, for once (and today is one of those rare days), I agree with you. :)

Advertisement