Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 18 - Switch Edition (Discussion)

Options

Comments

sligeach wrote: »
    Again, just came from reading the article. You've saved me the effort. Why can't Nintendo do better with online? There's nothing preventing them, it's their attitude, ineptitude and their always thinking about protecting the children.

I agree with this but no reason to let EA off the hook. There surely was a way they could have implemented a simple feature within the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Once they start charging next year they surely can't get away with this anymore. Even if the fee is low. When it was free, you could always say exactly that, it's free, so maybe whatever, take what you're given.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While Nintendo's online infrastructure of course needs a lot of work and they should be rightly criticised for the weakness of it, but this situation is all on what goes across to the consumer from EA. They simply haven't implemented this feature in the Switch version for whatever reason and it's pretty silly. Puyo Puyo (SEGA), Splatoon, Arms (Nintendo) Ultra Street Fighter (Capcom), Super Bomberman (Konami) and even indie's like Fast RMX (Shin'en) let you do this simple thing within the game, there's no excuses at all for EA to not implement it. They had it on the Wii U version of FIFA 13 as far as I remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

For me, FIFA 18 represents the best and worst aspects of 3rd party support for the Switch. With the worst aspects playing on my mind the most.

I've been playing it all morning and it's a good game but only 6/10 for me on first impressions. It's good that I can play handheld FIFA and that it's actually a viable soccer game but "it's portable" is literally the only advantage it has over the real FIFA 18.

So as a Switch owner who wants to play FIFA (or just any soccer game, really) on the go and away from the TV it's perfect. If you own a PS4 and a Switch and aren't that fussed about portable mode? Not worth it. Not even remotely worth it.

The arguments are obvious though. It doesn't have the same features as PS4. It's graphically inferior. OK, in defense of FIFA Switch, how many PS4 players will be playing FIFA on the bus or train on Monday morning?

I do own a PS4 but I also own FIFA 17 and will not buy FIFA 2 years in a row. I will buy PES in the years in between. As a result I see no appeal in playing the Switch FIFA on my TV at all. FIFA 17 on PS4 is far better than FIFA Switch and PES 18 is also more appealing as a football game to play on your TV.

The only reasons to own FIFA Switch are that you own a PS4/XBOX but think a lesser version of FIFA on the go is worth 50+ Euro or you only own a Switch and you REALLY need to scratch that soccer itch.

Third party support on the Switch is great if you ONLY own a Switch. Then obviously the bigger games become a must have BUT you know you are getting an inferior version of the game AND the cheeky feckers are gonna charge full price for it.

If you own a PS4/XBOX and you also own a Switch then the question is whether you want to play the proper version of the game on your TV or if you want to play the lesser version of the game off TV, on the go, whatever.

If you are rich maybe you just buy both.

I wish they wouldn't make "port" versions of PS4 games for the Switch but would rather come up with something new and fresh but using the brand of whatever franchise they want to use to sell the game.

Or I wish games like FIFA 18 on Switch came with the budget price tag that they deserve. This is a 20 to 30 euro game at the very very most.

Switch exclusives such as BOTW, Arms, Splatoon, Mario Rabbids and Mario Odyssey have good production values and seem to be profitable at this point. It would be better, I think, if the likes of EA and Bethesda gave us Switch exclusive takes on their games.

This FIFA would be many times better off if it had it's own "The Journey" story mode. Maybe following a different character or, even better, following a number of characters from around the world. They already have the engine so why not give something unique to Switch owners?

Nah, FIFA Switch is just an after thought to milk some extra money from the franchise. It's good enough but it's basically the minimum effort needed to get a good, not great, game out there. Lazy. Uninspired. Still good though.

I feel the same about Doom on Switch. Why wouldn't they come up with a new story and new levels and have it as a true Switch exclusive?

Same deal for Skyrim. Why not just keep the game engine and the game world but work in a new 20 to 40 hour adventure and charge full price for that? "Shut up. Here's a Link outfit* and Master Sword**! Now give us 60 Euro!"

*If you have the correct Amiibo
    ** If you have the other, rare, Amiibo.

At this point AAA "Third Party Support" basically means a truncated version of an already existing game, sometimes many years old, with a full big AAA price tag. Minimum investment for maximum profit. Sure, you will get a good game at the end of the day but I just wish they would try to give us something more.

I'm honestly not sure that "It's just Game X but portable" justifies the 50 to 60 Euro price tag. I'll gladly pay up 60 to 70 Euro on a new quality Switch exclusive such as Mario Odyssey or Xenoblade 2 but I ain't paying that much to get The Elder Scrolls from 6 years ago with no extra content but you can play it on the go.

I love the Switch because of the top drawer exclusives, and the ability to play the indie games off TV and on the go, but these "ports" that we are going to get under the banner of "third party support" are just depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Saruhashi wrote: »
    For me, FIFA 18 represents the best and worst aspects of 3rd party support for the Switch. With the worst aspects playing on my mind the most.

I've been playing it all morning and it's a good game but only 6/10 for me on first impressions. It's good that I can play handheld FIFA and that it's actually a viable soccer game but "it's portable" is literally the only advantage it has over the real FIFA 18.

Similar arguments to Nintendolife review, although they've given it a favourable rating.

I have an Xbox One with EA access, so I don't see a particular benefit in upgrading to the latest and greatest FIFA on that console, when it'll drop in the vault there soon enough anyway and I still have FIFA 17 to play if I want in the meantime.

On the other hand, a portable FIFA that apparently still looks decent on tv. That's a tempting proposition. And I am leaning the same way on Skyrim and Doom.

On a new game, where I would like to have the latest and greatest in graphic fidelity (thinking Wolfenstein 2 here) , then maybe I'll lean to PC or Xbox.

• Advertisement

So as a Switch owner who wants to play FIFA (or just any soccer game, really) on the go and away from the TV it's perfect. If you own a PS4 and a Switch and aren't that fussed about portable mode? Not worth it. Not even remotely worth it.

The thing is though, to a lot of people playing portable is worth it and is a game changer for some. I'm not sure what other advantage there would be, or would be expected to be considering that's a major part of the system's function. I agree that third party ports shouldn't always be the lesser versions of games, or at least not lesser to an extent where they are majorly handicapped. Portability is a big part of the Switch, and admittedly it wasn't something I thought I would use a huge amount but it's been a revelation in that regard to use it portable when I didn't think I would be. I don't think people who own a PS4 and Switch and who doesn't play portable is the market for the game anyway. Playing it on the TV is fine too to be honest, sure it's not the PS4 full version but as a soccer game it's still a very good game to play on the TV. Games like Skyrim will sell pretty well I think, for the portable reason possibly, I think those type of ports may surprise people. Even though the portable factor is a big thing, they are still quality games to play on the tv. Not being the same as PS4/Xbox doesn't also mean it's not a quality TV playing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Is there LAN support for fifa like in mk?

Sorry to bang on about this.

Another thing that grinds my gears here is that one of the producers of FIFA Switch has been out saying the equivalent of "we really tried our best so please give it a chance". http://nintendoeverything.com/ea-wants-people-to-look-at-fifa-18-switch-as-its-own-game-tried-to-make-the-most-of-the-system/

This comes alongside the equally gear grinding headlines that it won't be using Frostbite engine or it won't be having this feature or that mode etc etc etc.

Oh and they never bothered with a demo. Oh yeah, and they had a review embargo until release day.

Instead they could have implemented a unique Switch story mode and maybe had an additional mode based on Futsal.

So instead of never ending stream of headlines about what the Switch version doesn't have they could have had "FIFA switches unique 20 hour Story Mode follows 3 different characters from around the world" or "FIFA Switch will have a full 10 season Futsal Masters Ultimate Team mode".

Or they could have a Story Mode set in the late 90s or something following some legendary players.

They are charging full price for the game after all.

Anything other than "here is every single thing the game won't have that you probably wish it would have".

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

portable within my home is what i'll be getting it for. we have one tv and i cant always use it and sometimes she has friends over so sitting room is out.
    Also, I don't often have much spare time to throw 2-3 hours into a game at one sitting, whereas, the likes of Fire Emblem on the 3DS have gotten huge usage in small lumps, which I think is easier on a portable handheld.
    30 mins of FIFA before bed, easier to do on the switch than on the TV in the sitting room.
    Can't wait to get one to be honest, just have to stop spending my funds on books and lego first!

Corholio wrote: »
    The thing is though, to a lot of people playing portable is worth it and is a game changer for some. I'm not sure what other advantage there would be, or would be expected to be considering that's a major part of the system's function. I agree that third party ports shouldn't always be the lesser versions of games, or at least not lesser to an extent where they are majorly handicapped. Portability is a big part of the Switch, and admittedly it wasn't something I thought I would use a huge amount but it's been a revelation in that regard to use it portable when I didn't think I would be. I don't think people who own a PS4 and Switch and who doesn't play portable is the market for the game anyway. Playing it on the TV is fine too to be honest, sure it's not the PS4 full version but as a soccer game it's still a very good game to play on the TV. Games like Skyrim will sell pretty well I think, for the portable reason possibly, I think those type of ports may surprise people. Even though the portable factor is a big thing, they are still quality games to play on the tv. Not being the same as PS4/Xbox doesn't also mean it's not a quality TV playing game.

I'm not against the Switch at all here and I will agree 100% that portability is a game changer, even for me.

It just seems to me though that these AAA developers are giving us a very lazy product for a full AAA price.

Even on the point that the Switch versions are still quality TV playing games. I agree 100%.

Where I have an issue is that there is no significant additional and exclusive content to really make it seem worthwhile. Skyrim on Switch but with a good few additional, or even just entirely new, hours of game play would make it a system seller not just a lazy port job.

If they did a full Skyrim prequel or something using the same engine with the same open world and graphics etc but set a few decades before the events of Elder Scrolls V with all new characters and all new quests then it would be a serious game changer.

Sure Johnny Playstation can play his graphically superior version of Doom on TV but can he play the additional 10 Nintendo Switch exclusive chapters (that were developed to justify the 60 Euro price tag) on the Bus AND on TV?

It just feels like we are being short changed by the likes of EA and Bethesda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like Nintendo Life's byline on their FIFA review - "The best Nintendo FIFA ever"

That's the equivalent of a slow clap.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/fifa_18

Edit: After reading the full review, they were very positive. I'll definitely pick this up at some stage, but it will be after Rabbids and Odyssey. Maybe around Christmas.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    portable within my home is what i'll be getting it for. we have one tv and i cant always use it and sometimes she has friends over so sitting room is out.
    Also, I don't often have much spare time to throw 2-3 hours into a game at one sitting, whereas, the likes of Fire Emblem on the 3DS have gotten huge usage in small lumps, which I think is easier on a portable handheld.
    30 mins of FIFA before bed, easier to do on the switch than on the TV in the sitting room.
    Can't wait to get one to be honest, just have to stop spending my funds on books and lego first!

This is pretty much the same for me.

Is that really a 50 to 60 Euro value for money though?

If feel like 30 is more reasonable. An exclusive story mode or some other substantial exclusive modes would justify a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

This is pretty much the same for me.

Is that really a 50 to 60 Euro value for money though?

If feel like 30 is more reasonable. An exclusive story mode or some other substantial exclusive modes would justify a higher price.

Id be happy paying 40-50 as it would be my first FIFA in years but if you're a regular fifa player, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They showed no faith in the product - the apologetic interviews, the embargo, the lack of a demo - it sent off the wrong vibes but more importantly it probably informed their decision making early on. They went very very safe instead of going for broke and risking failure. Crafting a unique story mode for an untested market would be a costly risk. Developing a switch exclusive mode or two to compensate for the omissions would have been a costly risk. Letting us see it ahead of release looks like it would have been a bit of a risk. But it seems far riskier to me to not do it - there are no Switch-only diehard Fifa fans, there can't be - by definition if you're a FIFA fan you've been playing it on another platform or you're in denial about your lapsed fan status. There can only be Fifa fans who also own a Switch, non-Fans and undecideds. You don't win over undecideds with this shuffling, bashful slipped-under-a-door-frame-like-a-first-valentine approach.

I'll give them the same effort they gave me. I'll sit on my hands a few months and pick it up when it drops to the price it should have been.

Mr E wrote: »
    I like Nintendo Life's byline on their FIFA review - "The best Nintendo FIFA ever"

That's the equivalent of a slow clap.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/fifa_18

It is definitely the best portable FIFA ever and the best Nintendo FIFA ever but I still feel short changed.

It's kind of like paying to go and watch Barcelona play some minnows in the Champions League and they win 3-0 without even getting out of second gear.

Sure, you cheer the goals and applaud the team off the pitch at the end of the match.

You also know that the lazy feckers are capable of SO much more but were happy enough to just get the job done with no fuss, and no flair.

Yep, I edited my post after you quoted it (after reading the full review). Sounds like a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ended up buying fifa just there back ordered on Amazon I am in no rush to get if.

38 pound posted so 46 euros not to bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think this article exonerated EA way too much. Let's see how Psyonix handle online multiplayer for switch in rocket league. It seems to me that as sh1ty as Nintendo's online interface is right now, EA's was even lazier in their implementation

Second Switch review.

http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/2861-fifa-18-switch

6/10. Again, kind of saying it's good as a portable. But then Nintendo have that market to themselves. They've numerous complaints. The NL review did too and yet gave it "the benefit of the doubt this time" with an 8. Just because this is EA testing the water's with this solitary effort about supporting the Switch in future, does not entitle it to a free pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Got it today and had a couple of games. My last FIFA game was maybe 13 on the PS3. I really enjoyed it so far, it's a good casual game, I don't have the time to dedicate to BOTW so this works great for me, same idea as Mario Kart, very easy to pick up and play for a couple of hours a week.

Haven't tried anything other than one player matches.

I can't believe how good the AI has gotten or how bad I've gotten at FIFA it's one or the other. In terms if graphics, it was grand on the TV and handheld. Didn't hugely love playing handheld with the joycons attached.

All in all delighted I have FIFA again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.
    I would hope that the online issues are a simple patch away from being sorted.
    It's not like PS and XB titles from big publishers haven't been launched with problems straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

Disappointed the fut mobile companion app is not supported for switch users 👎

Only the 3rd review so far. This time from Pocket Gamer.

"FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the most competent handheld offering of the sport to date, though there's no escaping the fact it's a lesser product than its PS4 and Xbox One counterparts"

7/10

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Switch/FIFA+18/review.asp?c=75437

Still waiting on the big sites to show up with their reviews.

Nintendo Switch FIFA 18 REVIEW: The BEST version of FIFA yet - here's why

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/860390/FIFA-18-Nintendo-Switch-review-Xbox-One-PS4-games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/860390/FIFA-18-Nintendo-Switch-review-Xbox-One-PS4-games

And that's why we need balance.
    And why it's not cool to assume that a good review score for this game is down to a fault on the reviewers part.
    FIFA for the Switch is not Fifa on the PS4/XB1, not was it ever going to be.
    What it represents is the best FIFA game on Nintendo hardware ever, best portable FIFA ever, and a damn fine local multiplayer soccer game.
    The online portion is possibly the greatest fault of this title, and hopefully one that can be fixed, but going in to the purchase with open eyes I can't see a Switch owning soccer fan being disappointed with the purchase.
    It only plays into the typical trolls hands to berate the title for not being the same as the PS4/XB1 release, same old circular argument that is irrelevant.

The lack of 'play with friends' thing in Fifa definitely needs to be addressed. It seems its an EA thing because of other developers being able to put it in Switch games, however if it's some unknown roadblock Nintendo are creating, like something to do with the lack of friend system in the OS, then it needs to be addressed by them too. Not being able to play against friends in something like Fifa is pretty much unacceptable to launch with.

The Express are garbage, constantly generating sensationalist headlines, sometimes, almost on an hourly basis during the day. Throwing CAPPED words in but not giving anything away in the headline. Anyone who searches for Switch news knows what I'm talking about. They're interested in click-bait articles and are a gutter "newspaper". They're by far and away the worst offender for this. I see them all the time but never give what they want by clicking, it's usually regurgitated news from elsewhere with a sensational headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Well it's defo better than the first FIFA on the Wii.

sligeach wrote: »
    The Express are garbage, constantly generating sensationalist headlines, sometimes, almost on an hourly basis during the day. Throwing CAPPED words in but not giving anything away in the headline. Anyone who searches for Switch news knows what I'm talking about. They're interested in click-bait articles and are a gutter "newspaper". They're by far and away the worst offender for this. I see them all the time but never give what they want by clicking, it's usually regurgitated news from elsewhere with a sensational headline.

Seriously!?

You are forever posting "headlines" from little more than reactionary click bait titles, in caps and/or bold font, not to mention larger size for emphasis.
    And what does the papers political position have to do with its opinion on a videogame?
    But, true to form, fault is found with a positive review of FIFA.... On a system you don't own, on a game you don't own.

• Advertisement

The Express are a pretty terrible news site overall, however with actual reading of the article it's pretty ok. It mentions the bizarre lack of Friends invite option and the downgrade in visuals. It's just really the headline that's a bit sensationalist. It's a review at the end of the day and reviews from all sources have been put here from all types of sites.

If stuff like Polygon and Forbes contributor articles are 'counted' then it's absolutely fair game with anything else.

Advertisement