Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 18 - Switch Edition (Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seriously!?

You are forever posting "headlines" from little more than reactionary click bait titles, in caps and/or bold font, not to mention larger size for emphasis.
    And what does the papers political position have to do with its opinion on a videogame?
    But, true to form, fault is found with a positive review of FIFA.... On a system you don't own, on a game you don't own.

I post all article headlines in bold and larger font and with a link. The very, very, very odd time, highlighting the important bit in a different colour. The Express is a rag, I see it all the time from them. I wouldn't know what they wrote, they're dirt. I don't need to own a system to have an opinion. Have you ever been President of America? A handful of people have. It doesn't stop billions of people having an opinion. Or take any other example.

I didn't mention the papers political opinion, don't know what their opinion is, don't care. It's a cesspit regardless. People can form an opinion from what they observe you know. We don't always need to walk a mile in someone's moccasin's to have a valid opinion.

This game offers less modes and features than the other versions, looks a bit worse and has worse online. I'll finish this tomorrow, maybe. It's late.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Yes. You absolutely do need to own a system to have an opinion on it. What a sh*t analogy.

The express as a newspaper is nonsense for the most part though. I also wouldn't agree this is the best version of fifa. It's just missing too much for that to be true.

No, I don't need to own it to have a opinion on it. What a silly statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You're talking through your hat Sligeach, both on this and your little opinion piece on the controllers.

You have found every positive review for FIFA into question, without applying the same critical factor to the negative ones.
    Then you based your rant on the primary Switch controls on a go at a demo kiosk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

sligeach wrote: »

I have never seen a person find so much issues with a games console in my life and what makes it worse you don't even have one so to be fair I do not even take your views into account.

I really don't understand why you are going into so much effort to give out about the switch ?.

The multiplayer maybe be a bit meh but I can't wait to get fifa on the switch!!!.

• Advertisement

You're talking through your hat Sligeach, both on this and your little opinion piece on the controllers.

You have found every positive review for FIFA into question, without applying the same critical factor to the negative ones.
    Then you based your rant on the primary Switch controls on a go at a demo kiosk.

Every review? there's been 3. The Express Diarrhea doesn't count to me. I'm questioning how some sites are giving this version of FIFA 18 on Switch the same score as next generation consoles despite all the negatives. I found another review, giving it an 8. That's pretty much the average on next generation consoles. They list these as the negatives in the summary and more in the main text:

• Graphics and production values below the other versions.
    • Several modes and options missing.
    • Can't play against friends online.
    • At times reminds of previous FIFAs.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/595053/FIFA 18 - Nintendo Switch/

Yet, it walks away with the same score. Why? Is it because it's also portable? So what, it's clearly weaker and especially so at home docked. I've previously said that I believe some journalists will give it a free pass because this EA's only effort on Switch. In order for it to get more support it has to sell well. It's not just EA though, others no doubt are watching how it fares. Bad scores will hurt sales. Like another review that critised it a fair bit and still gave it an 8, similarly giving it "the benefit of the doubt", this reviewer says: "We believe that FIFA 19 on the Switch could be much better than this 18th edition". I don't like EA and I don't trust them. They shouldn't be rewarded for a lesser experience and cut content. Plus weaker online, though that's partly Nintendo's fault too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

I really think you are just trolling now, between all your comments here and on nl

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

OK sure, but your opinion on the system holds zero value if you don't own it. You compared it to people having an opinion on being president of the USA.
    It was a tremendously dopey thing to say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you fail too to understand that an 8/10 for a game on Switch does not mean equivalence with an 8/10 on PS4 you may have to adjust your critical factor.

An 8/10 is based upon a 10 being the best possible game on that format.
    A 0/10 is based on the worst, again on that that format.
    This establishes a metric for a given console and a way to measure a titles quality.

It is not transferable.

You cannot, for example, say that a 3DS title that scores 8/10, like Super Mario 3D Land, is the same visual, audio and feature rich as a 8/10 title on the PS4, like Uncharted 4 for example.

So, when someone gives FIFA 18 an 8/10 on the Switch they are not using the PS4 edition as a benchmark, but the Switch format as a whole and what the title should offer, ideally.
    So, it's good to take issue with the lack of online play, as that is something that the Switch should be capable of offering as it does on Splatoon 2 and Arms, but 1080p visuals at 60fps is an unreasonable expectation and should be discounted as a reason to mark it down.

I'm shocked I have to explain any of this tbh.

Also, 7/10 isn't a bad mark, 5/10 is an average title, 7/10 is well above average and suggests that a game is good but not without its flaws, as opposed to the disaster you have suggested, based on your not playing it, not owning the system and having read a total of three reviews, one of which you don't like because of the type of reporting the paper does elsewhere.
    Yeah, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Every review? there's been 3. The Express Diarrhea doesn't count to me. I'm questioning how some sites are giving this version of FIFA 18 on Switch the same score as next generation consoles despite all the negatives. I found another review, giving it an 8. That's pretty much the average on next generation consoles. They list these as the negatives in the summary and more in the main text:

• Graphics and production values below the other versions.
    • Several modes and options missing.
    • Can't play against friends online.
    • At times reminds of previous FIFAs.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/595053/FIFA 18 - Nintendo Switch/

Yet, it walks away with the same score. Why? Is it because it's also portable? So what, it's clearly weaker and especially so at home docked. I've previously said that I believe some journalists will give it a free pass because this EA's only effort on Switch. In order for it to get more support it has to sell well. It's not just EA though, others no doubt are watching how it fares. Bad scores will hurt sales. Like another review that critised it a fair bit and still gave it an 8, similarly giving it "the benefit of the doubt", this reviewer says: "We believe that FIFA 19 on the Switch could be much better than this 18th edition". I don't like EA and I don't trust them. They shouldn't be rewarded for a lesser experience and cut content. Plus weaker online, though that's partly Nintendo's fault too.

The game was reviewed as a standalone game. They gave it an 8. It lost 2 points over not being as good as the ps4 version and the other points mentioned.
    It's like saying smash bros on 3ds graphics are terrible compared to Wii u it shouldn't review nearly as good as the Wii U version but it did. Why? Because it's reviewed given the specs on the console and what's expected of it.
    I'm actually excited to play fifa in portable mode and be able to sit on the couch while the missus watches telly playing online matches. It's awesome. Obviously doesn't do anything for you but it does for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yet, it walks away with the same score. Why? Is it because it's also portable? So what, it's clearly weaker and especially so at home docked.

There's your problem. Portable may mean nothing to you, but it's important to many other people. If you chose to only play your 3DS at home, would it be fair to compare it to the PS4? 'Course not. The power gap isn't so pronounced here, but you can't pretend it doesn't or shouldn't exist.

The Switch is pitched as a hybrid, so some accounting of how it stacks up to dedicated Stationaries has to be made but only "some". To make that the primary focus of the review is to totally miss the point of the Switch.

Does that mean the Express/Telegraph/Metro/whoever is a good paper? That this isn't yet another Nintendo FIFA outing missing features the other consoles get? that EA haven't short-changed us on the wonderful tailored experience they promised? No. Should that preclude people from being excited at having a close analog to a game that scored 80s and 90s on the much more powerful PS4 2 years ago, those scores being judged relative to (in some ways superior) competing software the Switch doesn't have, and all this being on a format you can take down the pub with you? Not on your Nelly.

(I'm still not getting it. I don't have local multiplayer options, I can't see EA putting the time in to fix the fixable issues and sure it'll be a 5er in 12 months time. )

So look : we both know you'll pick one up in the January sales if there's any kind of deal on. You can't fight Odyssey forever. We are all familiar by now with your multitude of issues with the costs, specs and services. So why not move on from anger and denial, skip to depression and acceptance and maybe save bargaining till the new year, knock a few quid off a pro controller?

Looks like me and cidey were making a similar point at a similar time:-)

Edit:and Banjo ha.

Look, we all love you sligeach. It's just time to let go of all the hate and move on with your gaming life. #switchrocks.

iamtony wrote: »
    Looks like me and cidey were making a similar point at a similar time:-)

Edit:and Banjo ha.

I was doing it in a state of undress, at the side of the bed, with just one sock on.
    The internet demanded a response, being dressed was never an option until the reply was posted!

I was doing it in a state of undress, at the side of the bed, with just one sock on.
    The internet demanded a response, being dressed was never an option until the reply was posted!
    I put my back out yesterday so spending the day in bed feeling sorry for myself. Luckily I have a switch beside me to keep me going. Can't do that with the ps4:-)

Another Switch specific review from WayTooManyGames.

"If the Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions are a Barcelona, this Switch version is like a Huddersfield Town: smaller, doesn’t have that many resources, weaker, but it’s competent enough and it’s trying to prove itself amidst the elite competition."

7.5/10

https://waytoomanygames.com/2017/09/29/new-game-review-fifa-18-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

75/100, that's a first class honours , lovely.

Edge magazine got so frustrated with people making the assumption that 7/10 is somehow an average score and went to great lengths to explain to the ignorant just how scores should be interpreted.

Now, FIFA 18 on the Switch might actually suck, but I don't know as I don't own it, and I haven't tried it out and, even if I did I wouldn't appreciate it as I am not a fan of even the "best" soccer games.

Nintendo Switch Version Of FIFA 18 Suffering From Horrifying Face Glitch; Here’s A Look At Images
    FIFA185.jpg

http://thisgengaming.com/2017/09/30/nintendo-switch-version-of-fifa-18-suffering-from-horrifying-face-glitch-heres-a-look-at-images/

I don't like soccer or any sport really by but ended up with FIFA 18 on all three consoles and PC and the only one I've taken out of the box is the Switch version. I played one game last night and enjoyed it, it's has all the makings of a great pick up and play casual title. I won't be investing money into it or long hours but I can see myself playing a few minutes before bed each night

• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch Version Of FIFA 18 Suffering From Horrifying Face Glitch; Here’s A Look At Images
    FIFA185.jpg

http://thisgengaming.com/2017/09/30/nintendo-switch-version-of-fifa-18-suffering-from-horrifying-face-glitch-heres-a-look-at-images/
    they also say this:

captured ourselves on the Nintendo Switch. As a side note I want to personally say that the Switch version of FIFA 18 has been great so far other than this strange issue, and that this shouldn’t cause a negative response about the game of the Switch. Our review will be going up next week, and I guarantee it will be very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Really not getting the FUT interface here. Any good places I can brush up on it. It seems really unintuitive at times.

Also I need to be online to play it?? WTF? My connection dropped when I was 4 up and had to start again. So I can't play it travelling? Or is there a workaround...

Really not getting the FUT interface here. Any good places I can brush up on it. It seems really unintuitive at times.

Also I need to be online to play it?? WTF? My connection dropped when I was 4 up and had to start again. So I can't play it travelling? Or is there a workaround...
    I use the WiFi hot-spot on my Android phone when I'm out with the switch, works fine most of the time. It also works on my iPhone but the connection shuts itself off if not in use and it eats the battery. Android is much much better for tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hardly a 'horrifying' glitch. Look at some of the Ubisoft games if you want horrifying face glitches.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Hardly a 'horrifying' glitch. Look at some of the Ubisoft games if you want horrifying face glitches.

It turns the players into those guys from the twilight zone who clean up time after people pass through the moment - how much worse are Ubisoft games? Is there an Aphextwin's Creed game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Finally getting around to playing this today. It plays brilliantly. Really enjoying it. And I've played the last two fifa games on Xbox.
    Being playing it in handheld mode only so far. Satisfied customer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    It turns the players into those guys from the twilight zone who clean up time after people pass through the moment - how much worse are Ubisoft games? Is there an Aphextwin's Creed game?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Although a PES fan. Went to buy Fifa 18 as reviews are positive by all accounts. I just want good gameplay all the missing extra wouldn't interest me nor Online Issue finding friends.

But it failed me to buy off Japan 47e or Russian 52e then even US eshop and have giving up for now 😀 I edited my system and mynintendo accojnts to mo avail. Had no issue buying sonic of RU eshop or Puyo yoyo for Japan... Ooh well. I'll get physical if I I'm going 60e. But 47digitalid been tempted.

Glad folks are enjoying this so far. Might mean an even better Fifa 19

Banjo wrote: »

From climbing towers to licking windows for daddy... count me in!

• Advertisement

kevin2me wrote: »
    But it failed me to buy off Japan 47e or Russian 52e then even US eshop and have giving up for now 😀 I edited my system and mynintendo accojnts to mo avail.

Does the Japanese version have English? The Nintendo life review drove me to look at the FUT mode, which - while not as extensive as on the PS/XB - sounds like a decent single player challenge. I'll be sad to leave Jo'burgh but something tells me I'll be back one day...

Advertisement