Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci fi book similar to dune/hyperion

• 25-09-2017 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

Going through a bit of a sci fi craze after reading the hyerion/endymion books. Loved them. Since then I've read Children of Time (enjoyable enough, not great) and now I'm reading Dune. Loving it so far. So what do you recommend I read next? Something similar to these books is preferable but not essential.

Edit: Although Dune is a bit dated im still enjoying it.....but I'd prefer something a bit more recent so stuff like 1984 etc would probably not interest me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Culture series by Ian M Banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

Never heard of them...look interesting alright. Do they need to be read in sequence?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm enjoying the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton quite a bit. I've only read the first part yet but looking forward to reading the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I was like you, read Hyperion. Then a colleague recommended the culture novels. They are brilliant.
    And doesn't have to be read in sequence, not connected, not even timeline wise. I did anyway, just in case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Re Iain M Banks, I'd say Player of Games is the best starting off point. It's the first actual Culture book rather than a standalone SF story.

No harm reading a few early ones first, after which it won't really matter what order.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys I'll try Ian Banks next.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton quite a bit. I've only read the first part yet but looking forward to reading the rest.

They seem very interesting too. Plenty of reading in them by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Wailin wrote: »

I enjoyed his Commonwealth Saga more than the Night's Dawn Trilogy, but both are well recommend.

Nate

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah the first book was massive and jumps around between lots of different characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Although Dune is a bit dated im still enjoying it.....but I'd prefer something a bit more recent ....

Depending on how you feel about Dune when you finish it you might like the first of the sequels: Dune Messiah. IMHO it is well worth reading but the quality of the sequels drops off rapidly after that one.

• Advertisement

Thanks Johnny. Really enjoying Dune so far...roughly half way through. Hard to believe it was first published in the 60's.

Came here to recommend this. God I love that trilogy.
    And everything else he wrote too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

bluewolf wrote: »

Currently reading "The Evolutionary Void (Bk3 of The Void Trilogy)" :D

bluewolf wrote: »

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the rest of it. My OH is a big fan so it's been made pretty clear I have no choice but to read all of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My favourite sci fi series of all time, read it then read everything else he ever wrote, it's all solid gold, except Great North Road, bit of a damp squib that one.

The Polity series by Neal Asher is absolutely amazing aswell, like a more action oriented Hollywood version of Banks culture series.

Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space series is another one that will blow you away.

Jealous of you OP, you have a great year or two of reading ahead of you!

Edit: No idea why there's a thumbs down icon on this post...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reece289

Foundation by Asimov..

Advertisement