Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to ditch the Irish language and change the National Anthem?

• 25-09-2017 9:19am

With the Irish population having nearly a quarter of its population not even born in Ireland is it time we asked ourselves, "Is It time to drop the Irish Language and change the words of the National Anthem?"

screenshot-8-png.2908

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/population/2017/Chapter_5_Diversity.pdf

It's long been the view of the Irish government and other groups to see the population of Ireland to get above 10 million,
    LAST WEEK, IBEC chief executive Danny McCoy warned that the island of Ireland needs to be ready to have a population of 10 million by 2050.

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-population-1972445-Mar2015/

Naturally, to get to this figure by 2050 it won't be coming from citizens born in the country and already we can see from the CSO immigration figures how they plan to reach close to this figure, importing and inviting migrants to this country.

To maximise integration we need to be asking ourselves does the language of Ireland and even our national anthem represent the New Ireland that we are seeing?

From the CSO figures, we can see many of those coming to live here are keeping alive their own language whilst using English as the universal language to communicate with others. Irish has very little place amongst the new Irish communities and is fast falling down the pecking order in languages spoken by the Irish community. Is there a place for Irish in the new Ireland? Is it a language we should be spending money on when many of the new Irish are struggling to adapt to a new culture and English Language? Should we not be investing on more English in classrooms and maximising English as our language?

There is also the issue of our national anthem, again this is sung in Irish and if you ask most people especially those who are "New" Irish wouldn't have a clue what is actually being sung.

As our population increases is there any point in singing the anthem in Irish, would it not be better to sing it in English so that all the Irish can feel represented by their national anthem and able to sing along with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The national anthem was actually written in english in the first place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Can we ditch Ireland's Call while we're at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yea! Time to ditch all languages and cultural distinctions until we have all the homogenety of a typical Brexit voter. Being different to England doesn't work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Ditch the Irish Language:

What will the parents of Nollaig & Sláinie who attend the Gaelscoileanna think!

Ditch the National Anthem:

A certain melody is always played before the start of every half serious hurley or gaelic football team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

The national anthem was actually written in english in the first place...

Surely then its time to revert, what good is it having a national anthem that at least quarter of the population cant sing or understand?

jacksie66 wrote: »
    So by your logic we should get rid of all Irish things because a percentage of our population isn't Irish...

What is the point of spending millions on a language that most of the country does not speak, nearly 1 million citizens have never learned, and a national anthem that most cant sing or understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only one real solution to this.....get rid of the foreigners..... except my wife :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ditch compulsory Irish and plough the resources into teaching STEM?

Ridiculous idea......where's the European Commission going to get its Irish translators/interpreters from?

The anthem? It's a bit of a dirge, but aren't most? Plus keep Ireland's Call.....it makes Amhrán na bhFiann sound much better in comparison!!

Finally, bring back playing Amhrán na bhFiann at the end of the disco!!!

• Advertisement

Only one real solution to this.....get rid of the foreigners..... except my wife :eek:

Not really an option! lol

By 2050, however, those who can consider themselves historically Irish will most likely be in a minority, based on current immigration rates and targets.

It seems incredibly naive and stupid to be holding onto things we consider Irish that will not represent the majority of the population.

It's not about losing our culture but modernising it and appreciating like most countries, the world has moved on and things change.

It's not as if the English are desperately trying to hold onto Shakesperian English!

Fields of Athenry would make a much better national Anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What a stupid thread.

bear1 wrote: »
    What a stupid thread.

How so?

We have a population that has nearly a quarter of it not being able to understand our national anthem, how does this unite us as Irish people?

Fields of Athenry would make a much better national Anthem.

I always liked O'Riada's Míse Eire - much more evocative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The Irish language is becoming an exceptional waste of money and effort.
    I don't know why our politicians pander to the Irish language Nazis (and I am from Galway).
    A few years ago they ripped down perfectly good green signs with "Barna" written on them in other to replace them with white signs showing "Bearna" instead. Stupidity of the highest order.

I don't care about changing the national anthem to be honest.

How so?

We have a population that has nearly a quarter of it not being able to understand our national anthem, how does this unite us as Irish people?

Are you really suggesting that we ditch our primary language and anthem because 1 million people can't speak it?
    There are people on this island who don't see English as their first language but according to you they should just adapt..
    So yeah it's a stupid thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's not as if the English are desperately trying to hold onto Shakesperian English!

Tell that to students studying Shakespeare in school.

I'd be of the opinion that people applying for citizenship should be able to speak some level of Irish, would love to see it made part of the naturalisation process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It doesn't logically follow that a more varied population obligates either of these things.

Yes, I think the compulsion to learn Irish should be ditched in secondary school, at least. The entire way it's taught needs an overhaul. Most children leave primary school having been learning Irish for 8 years and couldn't hold a simple conversation in it. That's a spectacular failure for any language curriculum. Continuing to do it this way is just a massive waste of everyone's time. If they can't figure out how to improve fluency amonst children, then they should consider dropping it in favour of another language.

But that's how I'd feel about Irish regardless of the demographics of the country.

The anthem I've no strong feelings on, but it's a bit of an anachronism. A bit "Grr, we're Irish and we fight for our freedom!". So it's pretty out of date. Something that's more upbeat and inspiring like Ireland's Call would be better. It's imbues a sense of community and belonging. But like I say, I've no particularly strong feelings about it.

Are you really suggesting that we ditch our primary language and anthem because 1 million people can't speak it?
    There are people on this island who don't see English as their first language but according to you they should just adapt..
    So yeah it's a stupid thread.

Yes 1 million citizens cant even understand our national anthem, not to mention the countless born in this country who can't and won't speak Irish nor understand or able to sing our national anthem.

It's really pathetic that a country is so split when it comes to language and anthem.

Look at this site, primarily English, every Irish website is primarily English.

What is the point in Irish?

As our population grows and more and more people come to live here, Irish becomes even more pointless. Its time to unite all Irish under 1 common spoken language and national anthem that we can all share.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Given most national anthems are about how we're going to kill our neighbours because they killed us and started it in the first place - and ours is no different really - I've always thought it a good thing that we can't understand our anthem.

o1s1n wrote: »

I'd be of the opinion that people applying for citizenship should be able to speak some level of Irish, would love to see it made part of the naturalisation process.

Nothing wrong with having it as a historical context, that is how it should be considered and used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd like to nominate 'Put 'Em Under Pressure'.

Why?

It's of no practical value whatsoever.

I love the language, I speak it.....but I only developed a love it about 15 years ago when I needed to learn it for a job and I ended up with a "teacher" who was more concerned about teaching it as a living language without getting hung up on grammar, syntax and tenses. Much more enjoyable.

Generations of compulsory language education have got us where? Better to make it optional and have a vibrant cohort of speakers who genuinely love the language rather than a greater mass who resent having it rammed down their throat.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

With the Irish population having nearly a quarter of its population not even born in Ireland is it time we asked ourselves, "Is It time to drop the Irish Language and change the words of the National Anthem?"

screenshot-8-png.2908

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/population/2017/Chapter_5_Diversity.pdf

It's long been the view of the Irish government and other groups to see the population of Ireland to get above 10 million,

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-population-1972445-Mar2015/

Naturally, to get to this figure by 2050 it won't be coming from citizens born in the country and already we can see from the CSO immigration figures how they plan to reach close to this figure, importing and inviting migrants to this country.

To maximise integration we need to be asking ourselves does the language of Ireland and even our national anthem represent the New Ireland that we are seeing?

From the CSO figures, we can see many of those coming to live here are keeping alive their own language whilst using English as the universal language to communicate with others. Irish has very little place amongst the new Irish communities and is fast falling down the pecking order in languages spoken by the Irish community. Is there a place for Irish in the new Ireland? Is it a language we should be spending money on when many of the new Irish are struggling to adapt to a new culture and English Language? Should we not be investing on more English in classrooms and maximising English as our language?

There is also the issue of our national anthem, again this is sung in Irish and if you ask most people especially those who are "New" Irish wouldn't have a clue what is actually being sung.

As our population increases is there any point in singing the anthem in Irish, would it not be better to sing it in English so that all the Irish can feel represented by their national anthem and able to sing along with it?

Should the Germans ditch their national anthem and switch to Arabic because of all the Syrians that arrived in the last couple of years? Or maybe they should switch to Turkish?

Nothing wrong with having it as a historical context, that is how it should be considered and used.

I think people overlook how much Shakespearean English and idiom is actually used in everyday communications.

For example, that form of communication so beloved of boards.ie - the rant.....rant is a Shakespearean word

Should the Germans ditch their national anthem and switch to Arabic because of all the Syrians that arrived in the last couple of years? Or maybe they can switch to Turkish?

In fairness to Germany, they already have a population that speaks German as their first and only language.

Also, the 1 million immigrants in Germany is about 1% of their population, Ireland has a quarter of its population not even born here, how many others don't speak Irish who were born here?

It will be far easier for Germany to teach 1 million Refugees, German, than it will be for Ireland to teach a quarter of its population Irish when the majority of its population don't speak Irish, to begin with.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

seamus wrote: »
    It doesn't logically follow that a more varied population obligates either of these things.

Yes, I think the compulsion to learn Irish should be ditched in secondary school, at least. The entire way it's taught needs an overhaul. Most children leave primary school having been learning Irish for 8 years and couldn't hold a simple conversation in it. That's a spectacular failure for any language curriculum. Continuing to do it this way is just a massive waste of everyone's time. If they can't figure out how to improve fluency amonst children, then they should consider dropping it in favour of another language.

But that's how I'd feel about Irish regardless of the demographics of the country.

The anthem I've no strong feelings on, but it's a bit of an anachronism. A bit "Grr, we're Irish and we fight for our freedom!". So it's pretty out of date. Something that's more upbeat and inspiring like Ireland's Call would be better. It's imbues a sense of community and belonging. But like I say, I've no particularly strong feelings about it.

What about You Lift Me Up, Wagon Wheel, or Galway Girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If we want to keep the Irish language alive, we need to teach it in school. We also need to teach it much much better.

And we know how to do this - we already do it with the other languages taught, like French and German, albeit that teaching starts later. The teaching of Irish has improved in recent years too in fairness.

However, the fact that Irish has no real presence and consequently no value in the world that a primary school age kid inhabits will always mean that acquisition is limited.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    If we want to keep the Irish language alive, we need to teach it in school. We also need to teach it much much better.

And we know how to do this - we already do it with the other languages taught, like French and German, albeit that teaching starts later. The teaching of Irish has improved in recent years too in fairness.

However, the fact that Irish has no real presence and consequently no value in the world that a primary school age kid inhabits will always mean that acquisition is limited.

Who wants to keep the language alive?

Its only politicians and Irish speaking communities who are pushing it, as it is every person born in Ireland is taught, Irish. Its quite clear the majority do not wish to continue with Irish after leaving school, thus the majority of the country does not want Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The main concern with language should be the ability to communicate. Why look to get this as a part of naturalisation, if they won't be able to communicate with anyone from here?

The main concern with language should be the ability to communicate. Why look to get this as a part of naturalisation, if they won't be able to communicate with anyone from here?

It would also be pointless when we have open borders amongst the EU, European citizens can live in any European country without having to learn the native language.

The only difference is that Europe all speaks English as a second language.

Its only politicians and Irish speaking communities who are pushing it, as it is every person born in Ireland is taught, Irish. Its quite clear the majority do not wish to continue with Irish after leaving school, thus the majority of the country does not want Irish.

17.3% of those resident during the last census were born abroad.

That’s not ‘almost a quarter’. Gross exaggeration.

Of that 17.3%, most are not Irish citizens, so I doubt they give two fecks about the Irish language one way or the other.

As for you, I’m guessing you can’t read/write/speak Irish and simply don’t see the point of it. Fair enough.

But speak for yourself. ‘It’s quite clear....majority don’t want....blah blah’ is just old hat at this stage. Tens of thousands speak Irish on a daily basis. Good enough for me.

osarusan wrote: »

Gaelscoils were setup to improve the teaching of Irish but many parents, with no interest in Irish, took advantage of them to keep their kids away from immigrants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Jawgap wrote: »
    I always liked O'Riada's Míse Eire - much more evocative!

Good call, that would be my choice too.

• Advertisement

Translators also make great money translating leaflets and legals that nobody will read.
    Huge waste of money that would be better spent on Irish sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Irish language is becoming an exceptional waste of money and effort.
    I don't know why our politicians pander to the Irish language Nazis (and I am from Galway).
    A few years ago they ripped down perfectly good green signs with "Barna" written on them in other to replace them with white signs showing "Bearna" instead. Stupidity of the highest order.

I don't care about changing the national anthem to be honest.

I don't see the point of stripping Gaeltachts (and some so-called Gaeltachts) perfectly good bilingual road signs and replacing with Irish-only ones...see Dingle debacle of a few years ago.

Marking fuel filler locations on some Bus Eireann buses in Irish is another example of worthless use of the language.

The anthem can stay as it is. It beats that Ireland's Call crap any day of the week.

JayZeus wrote: »
    17.3% of those resident during the last census were born abroad.

That’s not ‘almost a quarter’. Gross exaggeration.

Of that 17.3%, most are not Irish citizens, so I doubt they give two fecks about the Irish language one way or the other.

As for you, I’m guessing you can’t read/write/speak Irish and simply don’t see the point of it. Fair enough.

But speak for yourself. ‘It’s quite clear....majority don’t want....blah blah’ is just old hat at this stage. Tens of thousands speak Irish on a daily basis. Good enough for me.

17.3 is a very significant number.

They are all Irish residents.

This is just the number born outside of Ireland, you then have the number of citizens born in Ireland to foreign-born parents who have no attachment to the language or culture.

One in four children in Ireland are born to a non-Irish mother
    http://www.thejournal.ie/poverty-children-ireland-immigrant-non-irish-1599272-Aug2014/

So we can easily get close to a quarter of the population.

This then moves onto the population in general, the majority of Ireland has no use for the Irish language and most cannot sing or understand what our national anthem is even about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

How so?

They should fcuking learn what it means then.

gramar wrote: »
    :D

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »

Why? The majority of those born in Ireland don't know what it means, why force the new Irish to learn something the old Irish abandoned themselves?

Would it not be better to just sing the thing in English?

In fairness to Germany, they already have a population that speaks German as their first and only language.

Also, the 1 million immigrants in Germany is about 1% of their population, Ireland has a quarter of its population not even born here, how many others don't speak Irish who were born here?

It will be far easier for Germany to teach 1 million Refugees, German, than it will be for Ireland to teach a quarter of its population Irish when the majority of its population don't speak Irish, to begin with.

You love this 1 million craic.
    Can you back up those claims of the 1 million for both Ireland and Germany?
    Also.. last time I checked Germany didn't have 100 million citizens..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Why? The majority of those born in Ireland don't know what it means, why force the new Irish to learn something the old Irish abandoned themselves?

Would it not be better to just sing the thing in English?

Sure why bother your bollocks singing it at all? Save offending or excluding anyone. Throw in times for GAA games could be 3.25 instead of 3.30.

17.3 is a very significant number.

They are all Irish residents.

This is just the number born outside of Ireland, you then have the number of citizens born in Ireland to foreign-born parents who have no attachment to the language or culture.

One in four children in Ireland are born to a non-Irish mother
    http://www.thejournal.ie/poverty-children-ireland-immigrant-non-irish-1599272-Aug2014/

So we can easily get close to a quarter of the population.

This then moves onto the population in general, the majority of Ireland has no use for the Irish language and most cannot sing or understand what our national anthem is even about.

You should apply for a job with the Independent.
    It's great how you seem to be talking for everyone.

You love this 1 million craic.
    Can you back up those claims of the 1 million for both Ireland and Germany?
    Also.. last time I checked Germany didn't have 100 million citizens..

screenshot-8-png.2908

The Census recorded 535,475 non-Irish nationals living in the country, a 1.6% decrease on the previous census figure in 2011 of 544,357.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/rel..._Diversity.pdf

Number of dual Irish citizens living here up by almost 90% over five years

OVER THE PAST five years, the number of people in living Ireland holding dual-citizenship (Irish and another country) has increased by 87.4% to 104,784 persons.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/census-citizenship-3609382-Sep2017/

Germany 'spent more than €20bn on refugees in 2016' as crisis outstrips state budgets

The four states recorded have taken around a third of asylum seekers currently living in Germany, where more than a million have arrived since the start of the refugee crisis in 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-refugees-spend-20-billion-euros-2016-angela-merkel-crisis-budgets-middle-east-north-africa-a7623466.html

German Population

82.67 million

https://www.google.ie/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_pop_totl&idim=country:DEU:FRA:GBR&hl=en&dl=en

I think you need to take a look at your figures again.
    And do you know the difference between 1% of 100 million and 1% of 82 million?

You should apply for a job with the Independent.
    It's great how you seem to be talking for everyone.

Its that the best you have to offer?

You want proof the majority don't want Irish?

What is the primary language of television in Ireland?

What are the viewer ratings for TG4 compared to RTE1?

What is the primary language of Irish media sites and newspapers?

What is the primary language you hear spoken day to day in Ireland?

What language are you conversing in right now?

Its that the best you have to offer?

You want proof the majority don't want Irish?

What is the primary language of television in Ireland?

What are the viewer ratings for TG4 compared to RTE1?

What is the primary language of Irish media sites and newspapers?

What is the primary language you hear spoken day to day in Ireland?

What language are you conversing in right now?

So my answers to this means I represent the entire island?

I think you need to take a look at your figures again.
    And do you know the difference between 1% of 100 million and 1% of 82 million?

OK, 1.219%

Either way 1 million into a population of 82 Million does not change much,

1 million plus, into a population of 4.5 million is a very significant change.

So my answers to this means I represent the entire island?

Do you think the majority of Ireland speaks Irish or English?

• Advertisement
Advertisement