Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to ditch the Irish language and change the National Anthem?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ireland on the other hand now has close to 1 million people not born here, 17% of the population, we could probably get that figure closer to 25% if we include those with dual nationalities and those who have become naturalised and dropped their old nationality.
    The statistic about 17% of the population not being born here is not the same as citizenship, and can't be 'got closer to 25%'. They can't ever change where they were born.

Again, your understanding of statistics and what they mean is really woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Alright, lets leave aside the logical fallacies and wooly figures (perhaps if ppl didn't have to spend so long studying Irish at school, they might be better at maths, and stuff).

Let's look at it from a cost/benefit point of view.

Here are the current spending estimates for 2016 by department. We've established that it costs approximately €1,000 million p/a to keep the Irish language on life support.(~2% of current spending).

Do we think even half of that money could be better spent elsewhere?
    My vote would be for Jobs, enterprise & Innovation, or maybe Education.
    • Agriculture, Food & the Marine €1,134 million
    • Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht €234 million
    • Children & Youth Affairs €1,113 million
    • Communications, Energy & Natural Resources €325 million
    • Defence €837 million
    • Education & Skills €8,524 million
    • Environment, Community & Local Government €957 million
    • Finance €430 million
    • Foreign Affairs & Trade €694 million
    • Health €13,175 million
    • Jobs, Enterprise & Innovation €297 million
    • Justice & Equality €2,264 million
    • Public Expenditure & Reform €940 million
    • Social Protection €19,627 million
    • Taoiseach €201 million
    • Transport, Tourism & Sport €722 million
    • Total €51,040 million

(http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2016/Documents/Part%20I%20Expenditure%20Strategy.pdf)

Apparently only 3% of the people in New Zealand can speak Maori therefore I think its imperative that their rugby team should start doing the Haka in English forthwith.........

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Nettle Soup I'm from Galway as well and on the new Gort to Tuam motorway there are signs for Baile Chlair no mention of Cllaregalway. I hope our non-national tourists will be able to work it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

We could have different anthems in rotation to show how multi-culti we've become and to demonstrate how we've MATURED as a nation.

The Polish anthem one year, Nigerian the next, etc. Of course we'd have to play God Save Herself occasionally, as a show of solidarity with our separated brethren from the North.

And then we'd have to overhaul the curriculum, by extracting all impractical subjects or anything that immigrants might find difficult.

Shakespeare would be the first to go. His language is as extinct as Yola.

All foreign languages should be abolished in the education system. Isn't English the world language? What's the good of struggling with other languages for years only to have the natives reply in fluent Anglo-Saxon when you try to converse in the local lingo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the national anthem is the national anthem and must remain as is . the irish language is our national language and must be protected.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Would many people who have become citizens over the years from another country actually consider themselves Irish?

Would they go around saying I'm Irish now? (I know a few say it, But they say it in jest)

If you stuck a Polish person who has citizenship here in a room and played the national anthems of both countries surely they would stand for the polish anthem whether they knew the words to the Irish one or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Time to ditch the Irish language and change the National Anthem?

It'll be time to ditch both if/when a United Ireland is on the cards.

The language will have to be dropped as a mandatory subject in all schools, and the anthem will have to be thrown out straight away in the event of a so called "United Ireland", otherwise there won't be a true united Ireland (with the Northern Unionists on board), the whole anthem/language thing is totally poisonous to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Not really an option! lol

By 2050, however, those who can consider themselves historically Irish will most likely be in a minority, based on current immigration rates and targets.

It seems incredibly naive and stupid to be holding onto things we consider Irish that will not represent the majority of the population.

It's not about losing our culture but modernising it and appreciating like most countries, the world has moved on and things change.

It's not as if the English are desperately trying to hold onto Shakesperian English!

What sort of mental gymnastics are you doing? Just because you can't understand our national anthem or speak our native tongue doesn't mean we have to get rid of it.

Gaeil muid féin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'll repeat my first post. A stupid thread.
    The op can't string a proper ****ing argument together, gets his maths and facts wrong, speaks on behalf of everyone but then denies it when called out on it.
    You can probably see op from the way people have reacted that your "majority this That isn't correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Fields of Athenry would make a much better national Anthem.

Ah here, lets replace the O'Connell monument with a statue of Declan Nurney while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭storker

Fields of Athenry would make a much better national Anthem.

(Shudder) Not that dreary, boring, overplayed celebration of victimhood. Surely we could come up with something with a bit more oomph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

bear1 wrote: »
    I'll repeat my first post. A stupid thread.
    The op can't string a proper ****ing argument together, gets his maths and facts wrong, speaks on behalf of everyone but then denies it when called out on it.
    You can probably see op from the way people have reacted that your "majority this That isn't correct.

Yet you're the 4th highest contributor to this thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yet you're the 4th highest contributor to this thread ;)

You've too much time on your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bear1 wrote: »
    You've too much time on your hands.

As poster #5 on that list, I have to say I think we all do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement