Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your membership?

Options
  • 25-09-2017 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

How much is your membership?

How much is your yearly membership? 133 votes

Under 500
    0% 0 votes
    500 - 699
    17% 23 votes
    700 - 899
    20% 27 votes
    900 - 1099
    18% 25 votes
    1100 - 1299
    13% 18 votes
    1300 - 1499
    18% 25 votes
    Over 1500
    11% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I made a bit of a mess of the poll by trying to put the € sign in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Won’t let me put in the euro symbol either so I took it out altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nice even spread so far

Paying 700 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Mine works out at about €550 for because I'm under 30.

Over 35 is about €1100.

While the cost, practice facilities are brillant I just can't warm to the course so I'm moving to a more expensive course that I enjoy next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Close to €1250 but at least it is guaranteed golf all year round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 1983ish

350 til march 2018 pay and play.
    20 weekends 15 midweek
    All the gui benefits
    In Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The majority are over 1500 which is surprising. I didn't realise it was as expensive in Ireland.

backspin. wrote: »
    The majority are over 1500 which is surprising. I didn't realise it was as expensive in Ireland.

I think thats due to most boards members beibg from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm in the UK and this year it was around £1700, with an agreed 5% increase for next year it'll be nearly £1800. I can justify it as the club only has 350 members and it's an amazing course, however it's definitely not cheap!

Having said that, when I was a (lease) member of South County, I was paying €200 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've just moved house and I'm due to play 3 courses in the next few weeks, all indicated that they'd be willing to drop the joining fee and drop the membership yearly rate to below 700 so I just fall into that bracket.

I've played 2 of the courses before I just a) wanted a free round and b) wanted them to know I have options. The 3rd course is closest, but I've heard it gets really soft underfoot in winter, then again, it's Scotland, I'm not sure what else to expect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

€2,400 for myself. Its a lot but best course/facilities in the area in my opinion so worth the expense

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

frink wrote: »
    €2,400 for myself. Its a lot but best course/facilities in the area in my opinion so worth the expense

You would need to play 3 times a week to justify that fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

You would need to play 3 times a week to justify that fee.

Membership to all though is not a zero sum game.

For membership to a decent club there are intangibles that you can't just put in a spreadsheet and equate to a weekly outlay.

although is its a decent course and the green fee is 100 quid then you'd only need to play once a week to get your investment back

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

For membership to a decent club there are intangibles that you can't just put in a spreadsheet and equate to a weekly outlay.

although is its a decent course and the green fee is 100 quid then you'd only need to play once a week to get your investment back

Very true, if you just put down cost per round then most Dublin clubs at €2000+ would make little sense.

What you are really gaining is things like the ability to nip out for 6 holes in the evening or not be gone for 6 hours on a saturday to play your game

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ronney wrote: »
    Very true, if you just put down cost per round then most Dublin clubs at €2000+ would make little sense.

What you are really gaining is things like the ability to nip out for 6 holes in the evening or not be gone for 6 hours on a saturday to play your game

The fact is that you've a much higher baseline in Dublin, you won't get many for under €1,000... for e.g Grange Castle, which would be known as an affordable club, is €1,049 p.a.

I think the cheapest in Dublin is Corballis at €700 p.a. That's probably the average for a standard Club well outside the Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Agreed, the key reason for me being a member there are what is has to offer:
    27 holes so can always get out in the evening or at weekends
    Very few societies held so don't lose full days on timesheet
    Full indoor/outdoor range, chipping area, pitching area
    Playable all year round, never closes for waterlogged course. Frost does become an issue in winter months though
    15 mins drive from the house, so easily can get 9-12 holes on a summer evening.
    Good family club, ran by the members.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

After getting back into the Game after a 4 year Hiatus I joined a club on a Pro Rata fee from July.

Cost me 320 for the last 6 months of the year.

I wont be there next year for a variety of reasons so the Club I expect to join in 2018 is €1200.

36 holes.
    Two putting greens, Practice area and 10 mins from the house so hopefully will work out good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Ronney wrote: »

Absolutely this ^^^^

Obviously everyone has their own circumstances to consider but I could never justify golf if I was to just divide the annual sub by the number of rounds I play. I doubt anyone could.
    For me the 6 or 9 holes one or two evenings a week in the summer, often at the drop of a hat, make the sub worthwhile. Along with the intangible "being a member of a club" which I know some people don't care about one way or the other, but I'm there since I was probably 10 years old, early 40s now :eek:, so its just become a "thing" at this point !

Paying €1,200 currently, but new members can come in for €840 til Dec 2018. It grates a little, but needs must I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think value depends on amenity - I doubt, for example, I'd pay over €1500 for a fab course with first class practice facilities if it was 30 minutes drive away.....

......but I'd probably pay it for my current club because it's a decent club of a reasonable quality, right on my doorstep meaning nipping down for 6 holes or a bit of putting practice and a pint is never an issue. It also, in my view, makes it feel like it is a club I'm a part of, not just a course I play golf on.

I've been to a lot of clubs with superb facilities, but their location in relation to their members seems to mean that the place gets hammered on a weekend, then can be a bit deserted mid-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

At the moment my fee is €1,050 but going to €1,350 next year.

The discussion on cost per game here is a valid one for me. This year I left my club after 15 years and joined somewhere new. I have played more golf this year than ever but less than ever in my home club. This means my cost per game is huge and I feel like I am over paying.

Next year I am going to join Castleknock and use the credit based membership for €1,450 I did a quick cost analysis and based on this year I will save about €650 over the year that I will be able to spend in the shop or bar so it's a big difference.

I wish more clubs would follow this credit model as I think it is a much better fit for the modern game when people have less time and there is a more nomadic style of membership where people don't join for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

1350 but for that get 36 holes and use of the gym and pool. So decent value if u are a gym user.
    You can't put a price on a course bring close to work and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Interesting how proximity is so important. Must admit, it is the same for me. My club would never be considered a great course but it's fine, it does me and it's 5 minutes away.

I just love being able to hop up for a quick 6/9 holes in the summer, a quick pint and home. Just great and the place is usually quiet - one of the advantages of the downturn, I guess.

€700 per year by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Just over 1300 this year. Very happy with the club and course. Its about fifteeen mins away from my house for my early tee times, and about thirty mins in evening traffic for those sneaky nine holes in the evening. Putting green, chipping area and range for irons. Busy enough timesheet, but never an issue getting a slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My dad switched clubs about four years ago now. Previous club was €800 a year and new one is a bit over €1000.

The new club is about 30 minutes away whereas the previous one was five minutes out the road.

He decided to change for two reasons
    1. It was very hard to get a competition slot on a Sunday morning.
    2. The club was starting to let a few undesirables join (clubs been stolen from bags etc)

An added bonus to the new club that he didn't consider is it is very dry underfoot and very rarely closed due to rain, which was a big problem in the old club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It would be great if people named the courses so we could have a better understanding,
    i'm not a member of anywhere currently but was a member of Stackstown at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Maybe it would have been worth adding if you think it's good value for you. For example, ours is about €900 and I get great value out of it as I'm playing or practicing most days over the summer (course very nearby).

If I didn't use it as much then I would think its a bit too dear so I think value is relative to the amount it's used.

I see alot of people getting out for a few holes and I'm envious.

Generally I start 7-8am and get home 7-9pm on average so its just not an option for me no matter how close it is.

I've been a member of 3 courses for different lengths of time and they all had a draw back.

Rathcore was too far from me and closed every second week during the winter. No range/chipping area at the time.

Headfort got expensive for the one round every two weeks I was playing. Very hard to get out on the Old mid week, the New was always free but I needed to be on form to enjoy it. Too many team events at the weekends which didnt suit me.

Tara (current) has plenty of singles, great practice facilities, easy to get in the time sheet and OK in the winter BUT I just can't warm to the course. In fact after playing it so often I simply don't like it where as I didnt have feelings either way when i joined.

2018 I'm planning to join Ardee. I play here often on the Open Thursday (one of my days off) and I enjoy it everytime even when I'm playing bad.

I've tried top class courses, cheap courses and ones somewhere in between and haven't felt happy so I'm hoping a course I like can hit the sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Glebee

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I see alot of people getting out for a few holes and I'm envious.

Generally I start 7-8am and get home 7-9pm on average so its just not an option for me no matter how close it is.

I've been a member of 3 courses for different lengths of time and they all had a draw back.

Rathcore was too far from me and closed every second week during the winter. No range/chipping area at the time.

Headfort got expensive for the one round every two weeks I was playing. Very hard to get out on the Old mid week, the New was always free but I needed to be on form to enjoy it. Too many team events at the weekends which didnt suit me.

Tara (current) has plenty of singles, great practice facilities, easy to get in the time sheet and OK in the winter BUT I just can't warm to the course. In fact after playing it so often I simply don't like it where as I didnt have feelings either way when i joined.

2018 I'm planning to join Ardee. I play here often on the Open Thursday (one of my days off) and I enjoy it everytime even when I'm playing bad.

I've tried top class courses, cheap courses and ones somewhere in between and haven't felt happy so I'm hoping a course I like can hit the sweet spot.

Had to double look at that, thought it said Adare:D

Glebee wrote: »
    Had to double look at that, thought it said Adare:D
    Ha, would nice but no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

835 inc locker, insurance and 100 bar/rest levy which I can spend over the year.
    When choosing I looked for a course I can play all year round with rarely being on temporary greens and one which is not hilly so I can play until i'm really old or incapacitated.
    Greenore, Co. Louth.

Advertisement