Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your membership?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

699 plus GUI, no bar levy. New Forest in Westmeath.

Really struggling to decide on whether to stay in 2018. Course just doesn't seem to suit my game. Facilities decent enough but not enough investment in the course. Too slow to address serious problem with 5th green and now it may have to be dug up.....

Close to home, 10 mins. Like most this is a big part of the decision. Thinking of returning to Castlebarna but definitely not as good a course. Would join Tullamore if it was a bit closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PARlance wrote: »
    The fact is that you've a much higher baseline in Dublin, you won't get many for under €1,000... for e.g Grange Castle, which would be known as an affordable club, is €1,049 p.a.

That's a 200 euro increase year on year for Grange Castle. Sign of the times I suppose but it makes up my mind about leaving. 550 next year in my new club so will use the money saved on lessons and new clubs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Barnaboy wrote: »
    699 plus GUI, no bar levy. New Forest in Westmeath.

Really struggling to decide on whether to stay in 2018. Course just doesn't seem to suit my game. Facilities decent enough but not enough investment in the course. Too slow to address serious problem with 5th green and now it may have to be dug up.....

Close to home, 10 mins. Like most this is a big part of the decision. Thinking of returning to Castlebarna but definitely not as good a course. Would join Tullamore if it was a bit closer to home.

€699 for that place is great value in my opinion and if you're living in the area even better. I played there for the first time this year and I was blown away, at €20 it's one of the best value courses in the country. I've not played many in that area to compare it against but I was really really impressed.

I'm in St Margaret's myself, first year there so it was €1,050 and next year it'll be €1,150. I think it's great value. I'm living on the south side of Dublin city so it's by no means close to me but I've a few friends who are members there and I'm originally from that area so I find it works for me. I'll definitely be rejoining next year and I don't see me moving on any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

€699 for that place is great value in my opinion and if you're living in the area even better. I played there for the first time this year and I was blown away, at €20 it's one of the best value courses in the country. I've not played many in that area to compare it against but I was really really impressed.

It is a great course! I just can't score on it and getting frustrated. All my best golf in 2017 was away from the place. Nothing to do with the value for money....

Also as a members course it is not great. Numbers very low, way too easy to get a tee time on a Sunday morning. Clubhouse not really a clubhouse. It's the basement of a hotel.

Owners far more interested in developing hotel than golf course. Restaurant too posh, nowhere for golfers to eat basic grub (soup, sandwiches burgers etc). Even carton house, druids Glen etc do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Barnaboy wrote: »
    It is a great course! I just can't score on it and getting frustrated. All my best golf in 2017 was away from the place. Nothing to do with the value for money....

Also as a members course it is not great. Numbers very low, way too easy to get a tee time on a Sunday morning. Clubhouse not really a clubhouse. It's the basement of a hotel.

Owners far more interested in developing hotel than golf course. Restaurant too posh, nowhere for golfers to eat basic grub (soup, sandwiches burgers etc). Even carton house, druids Glen etc do this.

I have to agree with you on the food situation. We went in after our round looking for 4 burgers and chips and couldn't get that. Basically it was order from the menu or nothing to the point of not even being able to accommodate us in making a few basic sandwiches so needless to say we moved on and ate elsewhere which was a real shame and cost the restaurant an easy €60. It was a surprising set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm in St Margaret's myself, first year there so it was €1,050 and next year it'll be €1,150. I think it's great value. I'm living on the south side of Dublin city so it's by no means close to me but I've a few friends who are members there and I'm originally from that area so I find it works for me. I'll definitely be rejoining next year and I don't see me moving on any time soon.

I'm in St Margaret's too in my 2nd year for €1,150. It's well run by Synergy Golf but there are large blocks shut off for society and there were a few corporate days this year where the whole course was closed to members. I guess they have to maximize the throughput on the course to make it a viable business so there is a price to pay. Mostly though it's possible to get out on Saturday and Sunday comps even if you have to sweat it on the Waiting List for a day or 2. I think it's full enough now and priced fairly but they need to be careful not to over subscribe it or it will drive away members.
    For me the proximity is key. I live 15mins away in off-peak times, 25 maybe at rush hour. I spent more time on the course on late summer evenings than in competitions. Also, most of the members are local from North Dublin city/county area. Many go in for the food (which is excellent) and a chat after the game and you often bump into them around the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    Nice even spread so far

Paying 700 myself.

Athlone here.

A new member could join the club for less than 500 Euro on the incentive deal. It would be 600 quid for year 2 and then full price afterwards. Great course which is open all year long*

*unless the Shannon massively bursts its banks which has only happened twice in its history

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Come back to Castle Barna so!! I need someone to play 18 holes with on a Thursday and none of this 9 hole non-counting stuff!!

Am a member in Castle Barna for the last few years, lovely friendly spot and not a bad course at all. Not very convenient from home but only 10 mins from the office so very handy drop in for a a few holes after work. I rarely play on Sundays but it adds nearly 2 hours onto the round if i do. €500 for full male membership and various options to suit all needs. Children of members are also deemed members as well which is fantastic as its a great incentive for young kids to play and future members.

I was contemplating moving to Tullamore / Moate for next year for one of the reason's mentioned above - I normally play weekdays and Thursday is our open day. There is also a non-counting 9 hole competition running concurrently, problem is every is playing the 9 holes and very few the 18. Was ok for a while but during the summer you want to be playing 18 and trying to get handicap down. If the 9 was counting then I'd be fine with that but it was voted against at an AGM. As I play so few Sundays I struggle even to get enough cards played to keep handicap valid.

Was a previous member in Moate, handy as is halfway home from work so less of a spin each way so might see about it for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Come on back to Moate Charlie, we'd love to have you! There is actually an offer on here right now that you can join for €550 (inc GUI fee)and you are a full member until February 2019 so that's an extra few months for free and like Castle Barna, members kids go free. Give me a shout if you need any more information.

22041886_1699903250043730_8091109733225247267_o.jpg?oh=770d84eb63d90f1da9681a0251ae9be1&oe=5A4AB257

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Over €1500 is leading the way :eek: Dont think I could afford a club Id like in Dublin!
    Athy Golf Club myself €720 with €50 bar + Restaurant tab. Its €500 for new members for the first year.

Voted the dryest inland course in Leinster many times hardly ever closed. It has its problems nothing major course is always kept in super nick 5 mins drive. I just think they could do more for juniors as there is hardly any!

They run 8 weeks free lessons for women to get them into golf every April and if they join they get it for €200 till end of year! have never seen a course with so many women on it! so it's clearly working.

So if your looking for a golf widow you know where to join :D

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    Over €1500 is leading the way :eek: Dont think I could afford a club Id like in Dublin!
    Athy Golf Club myself €720 with €50 bar + Restaurant tab. Its €500 for new members for the first year.

Voted the dryest inland course in Leinster many times hardly ever closed. It has its problems nothing major course is always kept in super nick 5 mins drive. I just think they could do more for juniors as there is hardly any!

They run 8 weeks free lessons for women to get them into golf every April and if they join they get it for €200 till end of year! have never seen a course with so many women on it! so it's clearly working.

So if your looking for a golf widow you know where to join :D

Was talking to a lad a few months ago who told me Athy was closing, obviously no truth in that then?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Was talking to a lad a few months ago who told me Athy was closing, obviously no truth in that then?

Ha.. Ireland and rumours :D No.. They are short a few bob and asked some members would they like to donate (like a loan) or pay next year subs a bit early. They are just trying to balance the books. As there has been a bit of restructuring at the club they outsourced the restaurant and had volunteers in the bar. Now the club has the restaurant and bar staff on the books..

Although imo a few slight adjustments and the club be booming. Like they want to own their machinery instead of leasing it and want to purchase some new ones, but whom am I to say as I'm a blown in :D But the course is in get nick and constantly been worked on.

That's good to hear re Athy always enjoyed playing down there.

My own membership is 850 in Grange Castle. That's good value imo although I'll most likely leave next season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BOB81

€1200 is my yearly cost at present. This includes a bar levy of €50 and also a joining fee which is €150 per year spread over 15 years.
    Headfort, Co. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    That's good to hear re Athy always enjoyed playing down there.

My own membership is 850 in Grange Castle. That's good value imo although I'll most likely leave next season.

Any particular reason for leaving ?? Just curious as some of my mates are thinking of re-joining next year.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Any particular reason for leaving ?? Just curious as some of my mates are thinking of re-joining next year.

Moved house.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement