Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Disrespect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Freedom and liberty. They can feckin do what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I assume you are being sarcastic. More power to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Please oh please be sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

1) Are you American? If not why are you moaning about a perceived slight toward a flag and an anthem or the US "looking weak"?

2) If a large group of black athletes are speaking out on a topic at risk to themselves then maybe we should listen to them instead of making assumptions about what they're trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

2/10. Needed to tone it down a bit to make it more believable. Also lost points for random use of capitals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't see how it's disrespectful. Typically you kneel to something symbolic that is greater than you. That's what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Fair play to them, giving the 2 fingers to Trump. The sooner he's put out to grass, the better.:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Colin Kaepernick started this during Obama's presidency and isn't on a Football team anymore due to his protest.

Trump has suddenly decided to make this whole thing about himself and managed to piss off the NFL owners, who all gave him a lot of money (millions of dollars).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the bigger conversation here is the militarisation of sport. Starting to see it in the U.K. with all their poppy nonsense.

If you don't wear a poppy or attempt to make a peaceful, dignified and silent protest, you're suddenly the enemy of the state. Colin Kepernick and James McClean are two sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Lmao at these negative and disrespectful posts towards me(an individual)just showing my disgust and shock at the immaturity by young men and women towards their Country and Leader.. They are even being screamed and yelled at in some of these venues to STAND UP for your National Anthem. Maybe some of you have Monday morning blues or wee hangover's lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wes wrote:
    Trump has suddenly decided to make this whole thing about himself and managed to piss off the NFL owners, who all gave him a lot of money (millions of dollars).

A narcissist turning a situation to be all about himself, that's a new one! Manchild is the only way to describe this idiot, what a fool of a human being. Best of luck to the players

Lmao at these negative and disrespectful posts towards me(an individual)just showing my disgust and shock at the immaturity by young men and women towards their Country and Leader.. They are even being screamed and yelled at in some of these venues to STAND UP for your National Anthem. Maybe some of you have Monday morning blues or wee hangover's lol

Oh dear you're not very good at this are you? You need to make it believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

They are not being immature... it shows guts and determination. I am so glad that I am not an American... I would be both embarrassed and ashamed of my country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You seem to misuse the word ' disrespectful ' but it matters little.

What do you care how Americans react to America's anthem and why?

These young men are standing up for something more important than a piece of music and a bit of cloth. They are standing up for what is right and proper. I wish we had more principled people in this world and less sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

A nation of sensitive cry babies

AryaStark wrote:
    They are not being immature... it shows guts and determination. I am so glad that I am not an American... I would be both embarrassed and ashamed of my country.

Many actually are, and deeply worried about their country

Wasting my time with you lot.. Go way and ponder in your wee heads and learn some respect before it's too late, am gonna search now online for a good American forum and air my view there, where I'll get the respect I truly deserve :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The guys kneeling are patriots. The people getting upset are nationalists.

"Fleg" nonsense isn't confined to a little pocket of our island.

Wasting my time with you lot.. Go way and ponder in your wee heads and learn some respect before it's too late, am gonna search now online for a good American forum and air my view there, where I'll get the respect I truly deserve :-)

Yes yes, you'll be terribly missed. All the best now comrade.

Sorry I forgot my jacket, emmm does anyone know the name of some good pro American forums?. Thanks :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Keep politics out of sport.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Disgusting lack of respect from the majority of nfl owners and players.

Spitting in the faces of the vetrans who stormed normandy beach to fight for their freedom and for the fallen soliders who protected people around the world.

They might not like trump but dont disrespect an anthem and flag for something so petty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Literally the most peaceful form of protest and people are raging about them.

If I didn't know any better it's almost as if a large chunk of the Right just doesn't want to know about black peoples issues with America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Sorry I forgot my jacket, emmm does anyone know the name of some good pro American forums?. Thanks :-)

pewpewpewmerica.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ricero wrote: »

Spitting in the faces of the vetrans who stormed normandy beach to fight for their freedom and for the fallen soliders who protected people around the world.

They might not like trump but dont disrespect an anthem and flag for something so petty

Petty?
    The first player to do this did it during the Obama presidency so it is absolutely nothing to do with Trump. Get yourself clued in before commenting on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

go to Breitbart and turn right.

Hang on now, the kneeling for the flag and anthem thing was happening way before Trump took office, so maybe calm down with the rhetoric.

Secondly, a lot of Veterans agree with these guys.

Thirdly, would you prefer marches in the street which can far too often end up as riots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

This kind of simplistic nonsense does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Generation snowflake strikes again.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote:

You forgot 'democracy' to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Interesting that the 'good war' and the 'greatest generation' thing is always trotted out and not the wars and vets the US would rather forget about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

BillyBobBS wrote: »

That doesn't even make sense.

BillyBobBS wrote: »

You're absolutely right BillyBob, look at all the snowflakes getting hysterically angry about someone kneeling during the anthem.

Any protest worth its salt needs to accomplish the following if it is to achieve a change in perception or ideally legislation

1) maximum publicity for its cause - which this is doing, NFL is becoming a global phenomenon and kneeling for the anthem or raising a fist when likely to be on camera after a big play certainly does that

2) a legitimate complaint in the eyes of the majority - which I think this does, the statistics demonstrate the imbalance in the way the USA polices its society between black and white.

3) popular support - which this isn't doing, its becoming too divisive. Also because of the likely inflamed reaction it is becoming the story. In the same way that a peaceful protest that then becomes a riot, its the riot that gets the headlines, not the original protest.

I don't disagree with their right to protest or their intention/motive
    I don't think this is the best way to achieve their aims

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The guys getting outraged at this are usually the same guys screaming "free speech!" when people disagree with their opinions.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I think by the end of the day these wee skuts will learn manners and respect, I can see a huge turn and lots of fury towards this show of cowardly disrespect towards their Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I assume you are being sarcastic. More power to them!

Black power mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Respect is EARNED and all you have done is whine about others exercising their right to peaceful protest which those WW2 Vets faught for democracy to allow :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I saw on facebook that Tomi Lahren was wearing a tshirt with the US flag and the words 'I don't kneel' on it.

I thought about making a comment offering my commiserations to her boyfriend but decided against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

BBDBB wrote: »
    Any protest worth its salt needs to accomplish the following if it is to achieve a change in perception or ideally legislation

1) maximum publicity for its cause - which this is doing, NFL is becoming a global phenomenon and kneeling for the anthem or raising a fist when likely to be on camera after a big play certainly does that

2) a legitimate complaint in the eyes of the majority - which I think this does, the statistics demonstrate the imbalance in the way the USA polices its society between black and white.

3) popular support - which this isn't doing, its becoming too divisive. Also because of the likely inflamed reaction it is becoming the story. In the same way that a peaceful protest that then becomes a riot, its the riot that gets the headlines, not the original protest.

I don't disagree with their right to protest or their intention/motive
    I don't think this is the best way to achieve their aims

On point 3 up until last weekend there were a handful of player participating but Trumps tweets changed this to entire teams staying in the locker rooms, there hasnt been a chance for popular support to develop for this new dynamic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Respect is EARNED and all you have done is whine about others exercising their right to peaceful protest which those WW2 Vets faught for democracy to allow :rolleyes: :D

Why do ye feed into an obvious troll?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVR23nFkKz0

fans seem to have no issue booing through the anthem though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Players on the pitch during the National Anthem was only introduced to NFL games in 2009 and normally accompanied by some sort of military showing.

It was done as a means to try get people to enroll into the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Even though I know that you are a troll your posts piss me off. Demanding respect for your idiotic views is just ridiculous... you should move to America, you would be a better fit there.

VinLieger wrote: »
    On point 3 up until last weekend there were a handful of player participating but Trumps tweets changed this to entire teams staying in the locker rooms, there hasnt been a chance for popular support to develop for this new dynamic

True, Trump saying nay, got a lot of peoples backs up and the reaction has escalated this week. However what reaction did that escalation get? The response to the kneeling seemed louder and more heated too.

This is why I think its a poor method of protesting, its becoming the big story. Not helped by Trumps intervention but then thats nothing new.

I think the interesting dynamic is in the response of the police and army vets who support the stewarding and safety of the NFL games.

Second thing to consider is that American football is played at Colleges, High Schools and Peewee football. Those youngsters see the top players take a knee during the anthem, and like we see kids over here do with the soccer players, they copy them. A divisive reaction to the perceived disrespect in a large stadium could be problematic due to crowd size. But what about those same reactions being voiced at kids football?

What is the background to the protests?

Because of this total disrespect being shown openly to the World through every media outlet, and seeing that the majority of good Americans are trying to stop it!? I think this leaves USA in a very vulnerable position and I would say security and defences are being beefed up as we speak... And all because of those immature disrespectful sporty kids!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

What is the background to the protests?

Unjustified police shootings of blacks and D. Trump being a monumental buffoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to the Players. 100% behind them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel".

Seems apt given the attacks on Twatter from POTUS on this.

I echo the point made earlier re:militarization of sport, especially in the US and Britain. Constantly forging a link between the 'heros' on the field with the 'heros' fighting on foreign fields mostly, and dare anyone raise a voice against the trend or not stand when told or not wear the poppy for what whole month when ordered to...

Sport has enough politics in it of itself, without governments and military forces hijacking it for their own means. If you introduce politics and your mantra into the sporting sphere, don't be surprised if people who don't agree with you, or who have a grievance, turn these symbols on you as a means of protest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement