Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Disrespect.

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

barrel-scraped.jpg

Careful there, Billy, you might do yourself a mischief with all that barrel scrapping :P

Trump was indoors ffs! It was being played outside!

Besides, this is about people deliberately protesting the anthem in an organized way.

You think Trump is gonna bring in some law that makes it illegal for an American to sit during the anthem no matter where they are?? Be they at home, in a theatre, or in a room beside where it is being played??

Come on man. It's a sure sign that your arguments in support of these clowns is not up to much when you have to resort to this kind of nonsense.

Trump made an offhand remake at a rally that blew up in the media. The left was outraged as per usual along with the NFL players over him saying they should be fired. He saw this and turned the volume up to 11 and they took the bait, protested and came out of the whole ordeal looking bad in the eyes of the general public.

People everywhere, tend to not like their country's flag being disrespected and the anti Trump folks painted a target on their backs supporting this. The fact the NFL are now trying to backtrack out of it shows they misjudged the mood of the public and its costing them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The whole lot is just your opinion. It's a 22 second clip. Which you created into your own thesis. .
    I gave six points, each backed up by Trump's tweets, this video, other videos and military publications, and you can't actually refute a single one of them you just just stick your fingers in your ears and squeal about how "this isn't real lalala I can't hear you!" :pac:

The reality is, Trump, Hannity and a number of his supporters have shown exactly how much 'disrespecting the flag and our military' means to them when it comes to this topic, and it's not very much at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Looks like they make up 0.8% of the population but make up 2.2% of people killed by police. (21 of 963 in 2016).

So based on demographics we would expect to see 8 native american deaths per 1,000 police killings.
    Instead we are seeing 22 per thousand.

For African Americans you would expect 126 victims per 1,000 police killings.
    Instead we are seeing 242 per thousand.

Native Americans are killed at a rate 275% higher than would be expected, based on demographics.

African Americans are killed at a rate 192% higher than would be expected, based on demographics.

So, if we are insisting on making this about race, it would appear that Native Americans have it worst of all in relation to police killings.
    Is this really all that surprising? Bah.

barrel-scraped.jpg

Careful there, Billy, you might do yourself a mischief with all that barrel scrapping :P

Psst... check out the background:

giphy.gif

Yet Donald 'respect the flag or lose your job' Trump has no time for such trivial things as respecting the flag if it means shutting his mouth for a few moments.
    Besides, this is about people deliberately protesting the anthem in an organized way.

You think Trump is gonna bring in some law that makes it illegal for an American to sit during the anthem no matter where they are?? Be they at home, in a theatre, or in a room beside where it is being played??

Come on man. It's a sure sign that your arguments in support of these clowns is not up to much when you have to resort to this kind of nonsense.
    Nope, it's a clear sign "the flag and our servicemen" is a cowardly excuse when Trump, Hannity and many of his his supports don't observe it and instead talk, whooping and cheer over it. The problems a lot of these people have with NFL players kneeling (which the same military publication also points out is peaceful protest and protected under the first amendment) have nothing to do with the flag or disrespecting the military.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Venom wrote: »
    Trump made an offhand remake at a rally that blew up in the media. The left was outraged as per usual along with the NFL players over him saying they should be fired. He saw this and turned the volume up to 11 and they took the bait, protested and came out of the whole ordeal looking bad in the eyes of the general public.

People everywhere, tend to not like their country's flag being disrespected and the anti Trump folks painted a target on their backs supporting this. The fact the NFL are now trying to backtrack out of it shows they misjudged the mood of the public and its costing them money.

Interesting that you think it just the left outraged as usual but the right are not at all being overly outraged over a man kneeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Christy42 wrote: »
    Interesting that you think it just the left outraged as usual but the right are not at all being overly outraged over a man kneeling.

Because the right is always the right kind of outraged. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Venom wrote: »

My seventy year old US uncle who is a veteran, not a lefty is more offended by Trump's priorities. He's basically got a long list of topics that he's using to distract from his disastrous presidency.. Ironically in the process making his presidency more disastrous in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

barrel-scraped.jpg

You nailed it there Pete. Does Ireland stand in front of the TV for the anthem on All Ireland Day ?

People using this whole thing as another lame excuse to have a pop at the president.

mattser wrote: »
    You nailed it there Pete. Does Ireland stand in front of the TV for the anthem on All Ireland Day ?

People using this whole thing as another lame excuse to have a pop at the president.
    So what you're saying then is that Trump is wrong expecting people to stand and 'respect the flag' - which would mean it's not the issue he has with NFL players protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Billy86 wrote: »
    So what you're saying then is that Trump is wrong expecting people to stand and 'respect the flag' - which would mean it's not the issue he has with NFL players protesting.

How did you come up with that beaut ? Talk about getting things assways.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    How did you come up with that beaut ? Talk about getting things assways.

Because you don't seem to think it should be a big deal - as you said "Does Ireland stand in front of the TV for the anthem on All Ireland Day ?"

Or is it only not a big deal when the actual President of the US and a news pundit who each love to talk about 'respecting the flag and troops' don't do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Because you don't seem to think it should be a big deal - as you said "Does Ireland stand in front of the TV for the anthem on All Ireland Day ?"

Or is it only not a big deal when the actual President of the US and a news pundit who each love to talk about 'respecting the flag and troops' don't do it?

Logic doesn't come into play when defending Trump. It goes out the window.

So we have people desperate to tell us the players are disrespecting the flag and anthem. Ignoring the reasons for the protest.

Yet a black spot appears when when trump can't even hold himself to his perceived standards he expects the players to hold.

Not to mention the disregard to why they are protesting.

Your basically dealing with 'alternative facts'. A world where nothings supposed to make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If the US was a democracy, people would be defending the right to protest instead of harrassing them.

And Hannity? :rolleyes:

trump-tweet-flag-burning-112916.jpg

Respect the flag or face prison and a loss of citizenship, folks!

Oh. Wait. Sh*t.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-29-at-2.28.58-PM.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

trump-tweet-flag-burning-112916.jpg

Respect the flag or face prison and a loss of citizenship, folks!

Oh. Wait. Sh*t.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-29-at-2.28.58-PM.png

Fake news :pac:
    http://www.snopes.com/trumps-flip-flop-on-flag-burning/

Well thank feck for that! I guess he only wants himself fired as opposed to jailed or kicked out of the country! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Well thank feck for that! I guess he only wants himself fired as opposed to jailed or kicked out of the country! :p

Billy86, how would you honestly react if Trump was impeached and forced to step down and then jailed?

I don't always agree with you and I honestly didn't think Trump would last this long but it always makes me smile to think of you having the best day of your life if he had to vacate the presidency.

(I mean that in a sincere and not mocking way at all I want him to be kicked out just to see your reaction)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Billy86, how would you honestly react if Trump was impeached and forced to step down and then jailed?

I don't always agree with you and I honestly didn't think Trump would last this long but it always makes me smile to think of you having the best day of your life if he had to vacate the presidency.

(I mean that in a sincere and not mocking way at all I want him to be kicked out just to see your reaction)

I'm still pretty confident that he won't last 4 years, his position is becoming more and more precarious. I'm pretty sure I'll be having celebratory drinks the day he goes..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

pitifulgod wrote: »
    I'm still pretty confident that he won't last 4 years, his position is becoming more and more precarious. I'm pretty sure I'll be having celebratory drinks the day he goes..

Pence would be worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

pitifulgod wrote: »

Mike Pence is more up your street I presume.

Good to see religious posters on boards. :):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Mike Pence is more up your street I presume.

Good to see religious posters on boards. :):p

Pence is already there.

Saruhashi wrote: »

My reaction would pretty much be a sigh of relief, more than anything to be honest - would be very glad to see him go despite the fact Pence is also awful. At least I would trust Pence not to agitate for a nuclear war to feed his own ego/boost his approval ratings, or to be a puppet of a government looking to dismantle American government as my girlfriend is from there, I have family there myself, and I'm moving back to Toronto in the next little bit which would feel quite a bit of impact from him making a balls of the US.

Their elections next year will be very interesting, because unless out of sheer desperation of being wiped out in them, so long as there is a Republican majority in Congress they'll just turn a blind eye to all of this while openly admitting to each other what is going on when they don't think anyone is watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Pence is already there.

No he is not , VP is not the same as President

Sometimes a picture really does say a thousand words... respect the flag folks, after all that's what the uproar is about! Lack of respect for the flag and the troops who are OK to lie about after they die.

zzypmujoegofwxs2rukr.jpg
    "I stand for the national anthem" :pac:

The NFL has also yesterday come to the decision that players will be allowed to kneel if they wish.

NFL to allow players to kneel during anthem without penalty
    The NFL will continue allowing players to kneel during the national anthem at games, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Tuesday, according to Reuters.

“We spent today talking about the issues that our players have been trying to bring attention to. About issues in our communities to make our communities better,” Goodell said at a news conference following a meeting between officials and team owners in New York.

“Today’s discussion with our players was very productive and very important. It reflected our commitment to work together with our players on issues of social justice,” Goodell stated.

“Our players are men of great character," Goodell said at the conference. "They have a very deep understanding and tremendous knowledge of the issues that are going on in all of our communities, and their commitment to addressing these issues is really admirable.”

Advertisement