Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Disrespect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Because of this total disrespect being shown openly to the World through every media outlet, and seeing that the majority of good Americans are trying to stop it!? I think this leaves USA in a very vulnerable position and I would say security and defences are being beefed up as we speak... And all because of those immature disrespectful sporty kids!?

I suggest that any vulnerability felt by the USA is due to its imperialist foreign policy, historic use of its military to achieve global economic aims and for voting a loose cannon of a president into the most powerful position in the world not because of sporty kids, disrespectful or not. i.e. largely self inflicted and in its own paranoia

Because of this total disrespect being shown openly to the World through every media outlet, and seeing that the majority of good Americans are trying to stop it!? I think this leaves USA in a very vulnerable position and I would say security and defences are being beefed up as we speak... And all because of those immature disrespectful sporty kids!?

It's a major security issue alright. Since the black people started expressing opinions, we can see what's happened in North Korea. Kim has his finger on the pulse of the angry in Compton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ricero wrote: »
    Spitting in the faces of the vetrans who stormed normandy beach to fight for their freedom and for the fallen soliders who protected people around the world.
    Yeah, fuck these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

It's a major security issue alright. Since the black people started expressing opinions, we can see what's happened in North Korea. Kim has his finger on the pulse of the angry in Compton.

I have a job lot of baseball caps with NKWA written on the front if you're interested??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was at Ravens @ Jags at Wembley yesterday, I saw no disrespect during any anthems, merely people exercising their right to peaceful, respectful protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Any of you who have been to places like Cape Canaveral or any type of US National pride spots will know that the US look down the nose of every country that is any threat to them.

But everyone has to join in. I remember at Sea World back in 2006 few Military came out ( ya ****ing sea world) and everyone had get up and give them a clap. Me and my 2 friends did not and we got some right looks. I can totally understand where these Black people come from. Why would they stand with any President who wants to basically destroy another country or support a President who wants division amongst the good honest people.

Yes there higher crime rates among certain groups and I have no problem with that being called out once it's facts, but these Black People are paying their way and are contributing to their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I do find it funny, that the people who love the Confederate flag (a flag used by honest to goodness traitors against the US), have the gall to lecture anyone else on patriotism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ricero wrote: »
    Disgusting lack of respect from the majority of nfl owners and players.

Spitting in the faces of the vetrans who stormed normandy beach to fight for their freedom and for the fallen soliders who protected people around the world.

How do you feel about James McClean’s refusal to wear a poppy?

American Football is awful anyway, so who cares?

• Advertisement

American Football is awful anyway, so who cares?

Good in highlights but you’d want to be doing something else at the same time if you’re going to sit through a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don’t stand for our anthem. Never have from the first time I read the words. I was only ever challenged on it once. That happened in Drogheda. I told the tool who had a problem with it that I’d be happy to stand if he could:

(a) recite the words, and
    (B) provide a translation.

Neither was forthcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Trump wants everyone respecting the leader in his North Korea America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wtf has this got to do with WW2? Why are some people trying to make that idiotic connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wtf has this got to do with WW2? Why are some people trying to make that idiotic connection?
    A lot of people are under the misguided impression that one should live in a way that would make some dead people happy. If they were still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

WW2 was the last time the Americans and Brits were the good guys but by **** they have more then made up for it with their nvasion after invasion since.

WW2 still seems to be the only excuse to invade other countries for the Pro American Military people.

• Advertisement

Because in America, the cry of ‘support the troops’ is used to shut down dissenting voices all the time. Ever since the Vietnam war protests, there’s been the fetishisation of the American military and the demand that everyone blindly supports them. Want to stop someone highlighting the extra-judicial killing of black people by police? Accuse the protesters of insulting soldiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The worrying thing is that they are doing it at Children's games now. The kids just see it as a bit of being a rebel, they have no idea of the connotations.

Anyhow NFL tv ratings (all free to air remember) are plummeting, along with attendances. If a bunch of black millionaires, who have had their entire lives funded by the state are going to alienate their sport for so called "social justice" then work away. We'll see how passionate they are when the wage cap drops.

To sum up yesterday's protest, retired Baltimore Raven Ray Lewis joined the team in taking a knee on the sideline. A knee that begun when some players protested against alleged police brutality in shooting innocent black people.

Not sure if Ray was thinking about the murder of another innocent black man that he was involved in....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#Murder_trial

Another hipocracy was the Pakistani born owner of the Jaguars joining his team for the anthem yesterday. The same owner who donated 1 million to Trumps election campaign.

Virtue signalling on steroids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

The worrying thing is that they are doing it at Children's games now. The kids just see it as a bit of being a rebel, they have no idea of the connotations.

Anyhow NFL tv ratings (all free to air remember) are plummeting, along with attendances. If a bunch of black millionaires, who have had their entire lives funded by the state are going to alienate their sport for so called "social justice" then work away. We'll see how passionate they are when the wage cap drops.

Any source for these plummeting figures? TV ratings were down 8% last year, I'd hardly classify that as plummeting. Attendances were actually up last year.
    Just because Trump makes claims about plummeting figures doesn't make them in anyway true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Do they still play the national anthem when they turn up the lights in the nightclub? :)

• Advertisement

I hope all these broflakes are similarly upset about the US flag being used as pants, tshirts and jackets!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I love the way America's potentially on the brink of war and yet the news of the day is some professional sportsmen genuflecting during their national anthem.

Genealogy Forum Mod

ceegee wrote: »
    Any source for these plummeting figures? TV ratings were down 8% last year, I'd hardly classify that as plummeting. Attendances were actually up last year.
    Just because Trump makes claims about plummeting figures doesn't make them in anyway true

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-patriots-chiefs-ratings-20170908-story.html

Season opener way down for a much better game.

And no, I pay attention to the NFL. Ratings were a big talking point last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I hope all these broflakes are similarly upset about the US flag being used as pants, tshirts and jackets!

not to mention stuff like napkins and disposable plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Do they still play the national anthem when they turn up the lights in the nightclub? :)

They do at the one up the road from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

The US an extremely patriotic society... you see it yourself when visiting... flags everywhere particularly in neighborhoods. Not sure if these sports people are shooting themselves in the foot with this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#Murder_trial

Another hipocracy was the Pakistani born owner of the Jaguars joining his team for the anthem yesterday. The same owner who donated 1 million to Trumps election campaign.

Virtue signalling on steroids

Robert Kraft also donated a million, and also has criticised Bush.

Is it possible that, instead of being hypocritical, they simply disagree with him on this issue? Because they supported Trump are they locked into agreeing with every thing he says or does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

What is the background to the protests?

Colin Kaepernick began the protests by sitting down during the national anthem, in protest of the treatment of black people by police. He later switched to kneeling rather sitting in order to show respect to members of the military.

Kaepernick got blacklisted by NFL owners and is currently without a team.

Trump came out this week demanding that all clubs fire the "sons of bitches" who take a knee. As a result many more players joined the protest thus weekend in order to show solidarity with those who choose to protest.

Trump also uninvited the NBA champions from a visit to the white house after Steph Curry said he wouldn't go, and has praised the (all white) NHL champions after they said they would attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Trump gave the speech about how these NFL players should be kicked out of the league in Alabama, he is playing to his audience, if he gave the same speech in New York or San Francisco, he'd have been booed off the stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Slavish devotion to a flag and anthem does not a patriot make. The regimes most associated with flag waving, marching and standing to attention have generally been the most nationalistic and authoritarian regimes.

I really wish the people slamming the players for this act of protest would step back and think about the rights that they are so lucky to have. One of these rights is the right to protest and the NFL players are protesting in a very dignified and restrained manner for what I consider to be a valid cause. America is a horribly racist and divided country and it's not getting any better under the current president.

Ironically, the guy wearning the t-shirt with the flag and "I WILL NOT KNEEL" was in violation of the US Flag Code

The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery"
    The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it or attached to it.

etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The US an extremely patriotic society... you see it yourself when visiting... flags everywhere particularly in neighborhoods. Not sure if these sports people are shooting themselves in the foot with this.

Depends where they live in the USA. Most places are extremely patriotic but others are not, NYC, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Seems like this is going to backfire bigly on the NFL. I hope the numbers coming to see games drops and advertises pull out en mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

FLEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Seems like this is going to backfire bigly on the NFL. I hope the numbers coming to see games drops and advertises pull out en mass.

I don't think it will have much negative impact. Certainly not for the big east and west coast teams in places like NY, San Fran etc. Even in very pro Trump conservative areas like Wisconsin, they like Donald...but not as much as the Packers. Aaron Rodgers would be far more popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ceegee wrote: »
    Colin Kaepernick began the protests by sitting down during the national anthem, in protest of the treatment of black people by police. He later switched to kneeling rather sitting in order to show respect to members of the military.

Kaepernick got blacklisted by NFL owners and is currently without a team.

Trump came out this week demanding that all clubs fire the "sons of bitches" who take a knee. As a result many more players joined the protest thus weekend in order to show solidarity with those who choose to protest.

Trump also uninvited the NBA champions from a visit to the white house after Steph Curry said he wouldn't go, and has praised the (all white) NHL champions after they said they would attend.

Let's be honest on Kaepernick too, he's a bit shíte at throwing the ball, you've got teams who reluctantly let go of a player who knocked out his wife in a domestic violence incident, these teams wouldn't think twice of hiring him if he was decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Sitting down, kneeling, standing up, stay in the dressing room... whatever.

The fact that before each and every ****ing sport match\event the national anthem has to be played over there has always given me a bit of an uncomfortable feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I was at Ravens @ Jags at Wembley yesterday, I saw no disrespect during any anthems, merely people exercising their right to peaceful, respectful protest.

They can protest on their own time. Not when they are being paid to represent their football team and no when they should be respecting their flag and anthem. Owners should start docking pay from players who bring their clubs into disrepute. Big fines and written warnings and escalate it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They can protest on their own time. Not when they are being paid to represent their football team and no when they should be respecting their flag and anthem. Owners should start docking pay from players who bring their clubs into disrepute. Big fines and written warnings and escalate it from there.

Donald, is that you?

The “we pay you so do what you’re told” defence. Would you make the same argument for forcing James McClean to wear a poppy? His protest there happens when he’s ‘paid to represent a football team’.

• Advertisement

The “we pay you so do what you’re told” defence. Would you make the same argument for forcing James McClean to wear a poppy? His protest there happens when he’s ‘paid to represent a football team’.

The poppy is optional in the Premier League/Football League. So I've no idea what you are talking about. He's doesn't protest the poppy, he just opts out of wearing it. Perhaps read up on things before making silly comments.

The poppy is optional in the Premier League/Football League. So I've no idea what you are talking about. He's doesn't protest the poppy, he just opts out of wearing it. Perhaps read up on things before making silly comments.

He’s the only player in the league not to wear it because he’s making a political statement of protest against the British military. You really should educate yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Of course the worst thing about this flavour of the month virtue signalling is the inevitable entry of "take a knee" into the vernacular on this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

osarusan wrote: »
    I saw on facebook that Tomi Lahren was wearing a tshirt with the US flag...

Now this is disrespectful to the flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

wes wrote: »
    Colin Kaepernick started this during Obama's presidency and isn't on a Football team anymore due to his protest.

He hasn't got a team mainly because he's a crappy quarter back and what team really wants to take on a crappy quater back that brings a lot of political nothing to do with football baggage

He’s the only player in the league not to wear it because he’s making a political statement of protest against the British military. You really should educate yourself.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/pic-james-mcclean-pens-open-letter-to-wigan-chairman-explaining-why-he-wont-be-wearing-a-poppy-tonight-474522

He's made numerous statements as to why he OPTS OUT of wearing it. This is out of respect for the people of Derry. Its not a protest. He has stated clearly that if it was in remembrance of the two world wars that he'd have "no problem wearing one every day", i'm sure I've read that the british military were involved in those two skirmishes. He has never protested anyone else wearing it.

You are clutching at more straws than Worzel Gummidge having a peddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Dymo wrote: »
    He hasn't got a team mainly because he's a crappy quarter back and what team really wants to take on a crappy quater back that brings a lot of political nothing to do with football baggage

I don't follow the sport, but I have heard plenty of people say the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think its great what they are doing they are right to stand up for it and hope it achieves what they want from it. All this really should have been sorted decades ago do its disgraceful that there is still so much violence and hatred towards black people still. I also agree with another poster that the sooner Trump is gone the better for everyone. He is bad for America and bad for the world. Worst American president ever and considering how bad Bush jnr was and he was there for 8 years thats some achievement by Trump.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The problem with the kneeling during the anthem is that it has become bigger than the actual reason it was started. It's gone beyond people even giving the reason for the protest a second thought. They're just jumping straight to seeing it as disrespectful. It's not advancing any campaign at all and is creating unnecessary divisions.

They should just go on strike. NBA starts soon and the first protest in MLB was over the weekend too. Coordinate a mass strike and hit their pockets. They'd probably get more respect overall and nobody can use the disrespecting the anthem or military crap.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/pic-james-mcclean-pens-open-letter-to-wigan-chairman-explaining-why-he-wont-be-wearing-a-poppy-tonight-474522

He's made numerous statements as to why he OPTS OUT of wearing it. This is out of respect for the people of Derry. Its not a protest. He has stated clearly that if it was in remembrance of the two world wars that he'd have "no problem wearing one every day", i'm sure I've read that the british military were involved in those two skirmishes. He has never protested anyone else wearing it.

You are clutching at more straws than Worzel Gummidge having a peddle.

Of course it’s a protest. Jesus if you can’t see that you must be blind. Either that or you’re going to make the argument that NFL players are opting out of standing for the US anthem in rememberance of those black citizens killed in extra-judicial shootings by police. Just like McClean is protesting extra-judicial shootings by the British.

Those taking a knee in the US aren’t protesting against anyone standing either.

Of course it’s a protest. Jesus if you can’t see that you must be blind. Either that or you’re going to make the argument that NFL players are opting out of standing for the US anthem in rememberance of those black citizens killed in extra-judicial shootings by police. Just like McClean is protesting extra-judicial shootings by the British.

Those taking a knee in the US aren’t protesting against anyone standing either.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who said that they were protesting about the players standing??

The protocol for the national anthem at US sporting events is to stand, there is no stand, sit or kneel option. To do anything other than stand is disrespectful. Kapernick decided to use this time to protest. This has now spread and other players are deciding to protest by taking a knee. They should be at the very least fined, and at the most extreme end, fired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement