Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Disrespect.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To be honest if I was paying to watch an Irish international soccer match and the players decided to stay in the dressing room for the anthem or sit on the ground for it in order to make a point I'd find it a bit silly.

If a sports star has an interest in political stuff then dedicate your spare time pursuing this stuff as it would be a lot more productive than making gestures at games.

You aren't really compairing like with like there.

If the LOI insisted on waving the flag and playing the Irish National Anthem prior to every match, and an LOI player had an issue with something done in the name of that flag and they abstained, then what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

in fairness weldoninhio never specified which flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disrespectful behaviour from men who, if they weren't blessed with ability to do something with a ball, would probably be in the same boat as a lot of young black men in USA.
    Which is exactly why they should do it.

They have been gifted with the privilege of having a national spotlight and of being role models for a large chunk of the population who are impoverished and oppressed intentionally by a wealthy oligarchy.

They are using that privilege to tell those who haven't been fortunate enough to be privileged, that they do not have to respect an establishment which does not respect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I happen to be a fairly big 49ers fan for a long time but even when Kaepernick was doing all this before the rest of them I still thought it was silly. Especially Kaepernick a player who definitely need to spend a lot more time practicing his quarter back skills instead of protests.

Anyway if the players carry on these protests before every game it won't take long before it loses it's impact.

What has the players ability and win /lose record got to do with it?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

I happen to be a fairly big 49ers fan for a long time but even when Kaepernick was doing all this before the rest of them I still thought it was silly. Especially Kaepernick a player who definitely need to spend a lot more time practicing his quarter back skills instead of protests.

Anyway if the players carry on these protests before every game it won't take long before it loses it's impact.

I am pretty sure practising during the anthem would count as disrespectful. It does not take much time. I don't know. They are generating conversation, sure we won't achieve much but the conversation is going on all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

This is exactly why Trump was elected, and why he'll be re-elected in 2020. What are the multimillionaire virtue signalers protesting against, exactly?

This is exactly why Trump was elected, and why he'll be re-elected in 2020. What are the multimillionaire virtue signalers protesting against, exactly?

police brutality against black people. Nothing important really i'm sure you will agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Disrespectful behaviour from men who, if they weren't blessed with ability to do something with a ball, would probably be in the same boat as a lot of young black men in USA.
    They may think they're doing the right thing but they are disposable to the very wealthy people who own these teams and should think on that.
    Plus I'm a fan of President Trump😊

Lol. Rarely do you see a person raise an argument only to sufficiently refute it in the very same sentence.

Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What this movement needs to gain serious traction is a famous white player like I dunno a JJ Watt or Tom Brady taking the knee also.

But White America with it's privilege, racisim, fear of god and support of the GOP means it's unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They are doing it in peaceful form fair play to them.

Least they ain't blowing up young people like IRA or BLM

• Advertisement

police brutality against black people. Nothing important really i'm sure you will agree.

This is a typical example of someone mouthing conventional wisdom. What do you really know about police brutality against black people. Last year there were 16 black men killed by police, out of a population of 20 million. Many black communities suffer from terrible social and cultural problems. Wouldn't the millionaire virtue signalers be better off highlighting these problems, which do far more damage to these communities than police officers? Of course, that wouldn't be very fashionable, would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Policing issues against people of colour. They have mentioned it a lot. I like that people are now disregarding their protests because of their money. They have family from the areas worst affected and many are from these areas.

Honestly I get that many are offended by these protests but it is hard to hard to feel sympathy for those who were so anti PC on this given they suddenly want their own version of PC.

What this movement needs to gain serious traction is a famous white player like I dunno a JJ Watt or Tom Brady taking the knee also.

But White America with it's privilege, racisim, fear of god and support of the GOP means it's unlikely to happen.

Nice generalization there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They may think they're doing the right thing but they are disposable to the very wealthy people who own these teams and should think on that.
    Plus I'm a fan of President Trump😊

This is a genuine work of post-modern art. Genius. I mean you don't even finish the first sentence before negating your point. Bravo.

Someone should frame this.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

What has the players

It matters a lot when you have a useless player being paid millions. He is there first and foremost to play for his team. I find it a bit insulting when you make a point of protesting then go out and give a poor performance in what u are actually really there to do. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe you should do your job properly and maybe then make your political protests. Plenty of 49ers fans felt the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"We give you democracy so long as you agree with us".

Imagine it was Chinese athletes protesting against their country. Western politicans and media would be drooling over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What do you really know about police brutality against black people. Last year there were 16 black men killed by police, out of a population of 20 million.
    Wherever you get your statistics from is way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

What has the players

It matters a lot when you have a useless player being paid millions. He is there first and foremost to play for his team. I find it a bit insulting when you make a point of protesting then go out and give a poor performance in what u are actually really there to do. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe you should do your job properly and maybe then make your political protests. Plenty of 49ers fans felt the same way.

Nope. His playing performances have nothing to do with the protest. Can you come with a reason why these players shouldn't bend the knee?

osarusan wrote: »
    Wherever you get your statistics from is way off.

It's true. This is all hysteria designed to ignore the problems which must be addressed by black people themselves. Black people make up 70 per cent of the U.S. prison system. The single mother rate is around 70 per cent. These sorts of statistics have much more of an effect on people. And of course, all the useful idiots in Ireland back the obnoxious footballers.

This is a typical example of someone mouthing conventional wisdom. What do you really know about police brutality against black people. Last year there were 16 black men killed by police, out of a population of 20 million. Many black communities suffer from terrible social and cultural problems. Wouldn't the millionaire virtue signalers be better off highlighting these problems, which do far more damage to these communities than police officers? Of course, that wouldn't be very fashionable, would it?

i'm not sure what fantasy land you got that figure of 16 from. try 266 in 2016.

• Advertisement

Last year there were 16 black men killed by police, out of a population of 20 million. Many black communities suffer from terrible social and cultural problems. Wouldn't the millionaire virtue signalers be better off highlighting these problems, which do far more damage to these communities than police officers? Of course, that wouldn't be very fashionable, would it?

This article refers to over 1,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/08/the-counted-police-killings-2016-young-black-men

You say 16.

That's some discrepancy. Could you link your source?

And the protest is not limited to killings but police oppression.

It's true.
    It's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why is everyone on boards so obsessed with america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's true. This is all hysteria designed to ignore the problems which must be addressed by black people themselves. Black people make up 70 per cent of the U.S. prison system. The single mother rate is around 70 per cent. These sorts of statistics have much more of an effect on people. And of course, all the useful idiots in Ireland back the obnoxious footballers.

There was just under 1,100 black people shot by the police in the states last year. That's a lot more than 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

You aren't really compairing like with like there.

If the LOI insisted on waving the flag and playing the Irish National Anthem prior to every match, and an LOI player had an issue with something done in the name of that flag and they abstained, then what?

I present Sammy Morrow for Derry City Vs Bohs in a cup final. There were a few upset fans it largely no one said anything about it.

Here's an article about James McClean that touches on the Sammy Morrow incident and also the fact that it's not uncommon in the North.

https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/god-save-our-james-mcclean-a-look-into-the-curious-context-of-national-anthem-disengagement/

There was just under 1,100 black people shot by the police in the states last year. That's a lot more than 16.

i got my number from here https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

i think you are looking at the total for all races.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why is everyone on boards so obsessed with america

It's a contemporary news topic so people are discussing it. What's the problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

i got my number from here https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

It's actually 266 black, the chart seems to default to AK, arkansaw I think while also defaulting to deaths per million. It you click total it shows the actually total across the US for each race. White deaths in the 500's.

You're right. Misread the original article. Still a great deal more than the 16 Dick Swiveller claimed.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    It's actually 266 black, the chart seems to default to AK, arkansaw I think while also defaulting to deaths per million. It you click total it shows the actually total across the US for each race. White deaths in the 500's.

i know. that's i said earlier. Black people have half the number of deaths but less than a fifth of the number of white people.

i know. that's i said earlier. Black people have half the number of deaths but less than a fifth of the number of white people.

But black people commit far more crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I find the hypocrisy in this amazing, America is a nation which goes on and on about freedom, democracy ect yet i'v seen tons of people calling for these men to loose their jobs for exercising those rights? I'm not American so frankly don't care if they stand for the anthem or not however it appears to a lot of Americans freedom and democracy is only good as long as they agree with me. I would respect their right to protest after all that is what America is supposed to be all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They went one further in some games where neither team would even take the field until after the anthem, that being black, white, Polynesian, Asian, etc etc players - the whole team and entire coaching staffs.

Trump has accidentally done what nobody has been able to do in my 15 years watching the sport - and that was unifying, the players, the management/owners, the officials and the players union all on the one page. It just so happened that page involved calling him out as a clown whose statements deserve zero respect.

I'm sure everyone on the right will 100% support these players' right to free speech, peaceful protest and freedom of expression and won't be littering the thread with emotive posts like delicate little snowflakes.

But black people commit far more crime.

people in lower socio-economic groups commit more crime. black people tend to be in lower socio-economic groups. the problem is poverty not skin colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Plus I'm a fan of President Trump��

You mean like this guy?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/06/michael-bennett-police-las-vegas-nfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNikMTIgL8&feature=youtu.be

A multi millionaire and one of the best players in the league

As for trump and NFL players, he made light of CTE, so fcuk him, NFL players can protest whatever they want to his face after that ****e

• Advertisement

people in lower socio-economic groups commit more crime. black people tend to be in lower socio-economic groups. the problem is poverty not skin colour.

I didn't say it was to do with skin colour. The statistics distinguish between white and black. I said earlier that it's mainly a cultural and social problem. The destruction of stable families in the black community, coupled a gangster culture has devastated many areas. But will the media or the millionaire footballers ever mention this? No.

I didn't say it was to do with skin colour. The statistics distinguish between white and black. I said earlier that it's mainly a cultural and social problem. The destruction of stable families in the black community, coupled a gangster culture has devastated many areas. But will the media or the millionaire footballers ever mention this? No.

if it nothing to do with skin colour why say black people? if the problem is poverty, and it is, why not say poor people?

if it nothing to do with skin colour why say black people? if the problem is poverty, and it is, why not say poor people?

Because poor white people never turn to crime, have babies as single mothers or participate in gangs. Obviously…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes posts like Rubberchickens shows EXACTLY how Trump was elected.

Oh for God Sake. Here we go again. Are you offended by everything? I say black because it is a problem in much of the black communities in inner city parts of America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thank god we have you dick. To provide us with the truth and not "alternative facts" hahah. All problems seem to be down to "media"

Because poor white people never turn to crime, have babies as single mothers or participate in gangs. Obviously…

Huh?

Look at the crime figures. Facts don't care about your feelings.

70% of prisoners in America are black
    12% of people in america are black/African american.

Yeah, no racism there

:pac:

Yeah, no racism there

Eh, where is the racism exactly? Explain it to me.

Look at the crime figures. Facts don't care about your feelings.

You were out by 1600% on your 'facts' about the number of deaths of black people at the hands of the police.

You haven't a notion what you are on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh for God Sake. Here we go again. Are you offended by everything? I say black because it is a problem in much of the black communities in inner city parts of America.

Jesus christ the flaming irony right here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah, no racism there

It's the same craic with travellers over here. Simply calling it racism/discrimination and glossing over personal responsibility and community responsibility isn't completely fair though either. It's not, pardon the expression, that black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Interestingly this isn't the first time the US has experienced this type of protest before. Martin Luther King Jnr did it during the Civil Rights Movement.

AP6502010140.jpg&w=1484

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's the same craic with travellers over here. Simply calling it racism/discrimination and glossing over personal responsibility and community responsibility isn't completely fair though either. It's not, pardon the expression, that black and white.

What's the point in trying to get through to these people? They think it's racist that far more black people are in prison. Maybe more black people commit crimes. Did that ever cross their minds?

• Advertisement
Advertisement