Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smock Jacket

• 25-09-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Anybody recommend a good smock jacket for deer stalking? was looking at the shooterking one if anybody has one would the recommend it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Was looking at the jack Pyke one. Not sure years ago in England I had an original para smock...great in a cold day but if it was mild you'd be sweating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've been hankering for a smock for a while. My mate got one and it looks the biz in a practical way when it comes to laying up on a wet hillside. But what I don't fancy is the inability to open it up when on the move, I tend to sweat at the slightest physical effort.
    The issued smocks we use in work are double zipped with storm flap and buttons ideal for unzipping but keeping it buttoned up at the same time allowing ventilation while comfortable to ware.
    I use a deerhunter 3/4 length wool mix coat for cold days on the hill (same fastening as described above). What it lacks are under arm zips that are incorporated in my other outer garments.
    If I had my choice I would go with a 3/4 length full front smock with v neck c/w storm flap and hood, fish tail back, plenty of pockets and under arm zippers for temperature control. There out there with various specs but at a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

That's the problem our weather can be quite mild might be pising rain but when your walking around..it's a killer. What about a gore tex membrane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

What it lacks are under arm zips that are incorporated in my other outer garments.

I find jackets with the under arm zip a gift to control heat and avoid sweating.........I wouldn't buy a jacket now without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DubPredator

I've been hankering for a smock for a while. My mate got one and it looks the biz in a practical way when it comes to laying up on a wet hillside. But what I don't fancy is the inability to open it up when on the move, I tend to sweat at the slightest physical effort.
    The issued smocks we use in work are double zipped with storm flap and buttons ideal for unzipping but keeping it buttoned up at the same time allowing ventilation while comfortable to ware.
    I use a deerhunter 3/4 length wool mix coat for cold days on the hill (same fastening as described above). What it lacks are under arm zips that are incorporated in my other outer garments.
    If I had my choice I would go with a 3/4 length full front smock with v neck c/w storm flap and hood, fish tail back, plenty of pockets and under arm zippers for temperature control. There out there with various specs but at a price.

Roseline Monsoon elite smock. John Lambert in camolin has them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 longshot100

Really don't want one that will overheat id rather be cold then sweating in one. is that the deerhunter Avanti smock you or your friend has cookimonster?? they seem to be reasonably priced..

My mate has the Ridgeline Monsoon Elite Smoc, I have the Deerhunter Jacket Targit, which I just discovered is not a wool outer but polyester- just shows what they can do, feels just like wool. There you go.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

keela try them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Just happened to see this in the latest threads and had been looking at a smock myself. I've used the Irish Army smock, great bit of kit just a pity not fully waterproof.

http://www.arktisoutdoor.co.uk/arktis-mens-clothing/arktis-mens-smocks-and-parkas/arktis-mens-combat-smock-b110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭nowwerehurlin

I've recently bought the rivers west hill-pro smock.. Very light and very warm,.. I would highly recommend it.

Would also recommend any of the deer-hunter range (have them all bar the Avanti) the 'Ram' is a mighty fine jacket, not a smock but comes down as long as a smock, has a draft stopper underneath and a full zip. Its not too heavy either

• Advertisement

Vamp369 wrote: »
    Just happened to see this in the latest threads and had been looking at a smock myself. I've used the Irish Army smock, great bit of kit just a pity not fully waterproof.

http://www.arktisoutdoor.co.uk/arktis-mens-clothing/arktis-mens-smocks-and-parkas/arktis-mens-combat-smock-b110

Not wanting to be an 'Anorak' on this smock thread😁, but and it has come up before, it's illegal (not just for serving member) to ware Irish Defence Force clothing. That's an English site and perfectly legal to sell over there - whether genuine or copy, but not legal here even if a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Not wanting to be an 'Anorak' on this smock threadðŸ˜, but and it has come up before, it's illegal (not just for serving member) to ware Irish Defence Force clothing. That's an English site and perfectly legal to sell over there - whether genuine or copy, but not legal here even if a copy.

I know, used it legally in my service. But you can get the exact same design just not in Irish DPM, which I intend to do at some point. Just a great bit of kit if you get the right size.

What ever rocks your boat, but in my limited tactical training, well behind me now, their dirt for the Irish weather and landscape. Grand for walking around in dry weather, but as you know uselss for any prone work, absorbs water faster than Spounge Bob.
    At the price that web site is offering your be better off buying second hand German / Dutch wet gear and a good technical thermal layer. Down the range last week and as soon as every one knew they where firing from the prone position all the wet gear was out.

Remember from boots to guns and food all come from the lowest tender.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I've a Swazi Thar ,the latest one,basic but a very good smock ,you don't sweat in it ,I usually just wear a Marino or Bamboo top underneath ,till it gets harsh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not wanting to be an 'Anorak' on this smock thread😁, but and it has come up before, it's illegal (not just for serving member) to ware Irish Defence Force clothing. That's an English site and perfectly legal to sell over there - whether genuine or copy, but not legal here even if a copy.

Without further anoracking of the topic... Be aware there is a Serbian pattern[Think a mk2? pattern] That was used by them in the Yugoslavian conflict and it is nearly 99% "Paddyflage".The only thing that gives it away is the cut of the jacket is entirely different to our outfits.More like the American M65 field jacket.Which if you can get the genuine article and not the Chinky knockoffs , is a great bit of kit for hunting here.:)

Also if anyone is an XXL and wants a sniper style SAS jacket smock, on which pretty much all of the current military smocks are modelled on, in OD green.PM me.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement