Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallgher - Dublin & Belfast 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Really enjoyed it. Was right up the front as opposed to in the seats last time he played. great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

Was gutted he didn’t play Masterplan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Couple of lads in front of me kept talking the whole way though the show as well. I think one of them was drunk. Was a bit annoying as the other guy kept leaning over to hear him and blocking my view.

I went to see Liam in October in the same venue and there was a marked difference in the crowd. I could only get a seated ticket for that concert but I ended up standing for most of it anyway as did almost everyone else. For Noel's concert 99% of the seated people stayed seated. I also noticed large sections of unsold seats, whereas Liam's concert was almost full. I guess part of it is that Liam hadn't played here in ages. Also Ed Sheeran was here the same night and that may have reduced the crowd a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

veganrun wrote: »
    Couple of lads in front of me kept talking the whole way though the show as well. I think one of them was drunk. Was a bit annoying as the other guy kept leaning over to hear him and blocking my view.

I went to see Liam in October in the same venue and there was a marked difference in the crowd. I could only get a seated ticket for that concert but I ended up standing for most of it anyway as did almost everyone else. For Noel's concert 99% of the seated people stayed seated. I also noticed large sections of unsold seats, whereas Liam's concert was almost full. I guess part of it is that Liam hadn't played here in ages. Also Ed Sheeran was here the same night and that may have reduced the crowd a bit too.

Liam played Weston Airport in October, that was a portion of the size of the Point! It held 5,000

The crowd were may more up for Liam because he was banging out a lot of Oasis bangers, and his solo stuff is very much Oasis-lite. Noel is putting a bit of a spin on his stuff now, and he played only 5 Oasis tunes, a rake from a very split new album. It was clear the majority werent that into a lot of the new stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I thought the band were excellent. My highlights were ‘It’s a Beautiful World’ ‘Dead in the Water’ & ‘Don’t look back in Anger’ The crowd were pathetic on the other hand.

• Advertisement

Batesy wrote: »
    I thought the band were excellent. My highlights were ‘It’s a Beautiful World’ ‘Dead in the Water’ & ‘Don’t look back in Anger’ The crowd were pathetic on the other hand.

Crowd only really woke up for In The Heat Of The Moment, then fell asleep straight away for Riverman, picked up for Little By Little and Importance obviously, but was absolutely comatose from here until Half the World Away.

Am I the only one who actually doesn't really care to hear Noel do that much Oasis anymore? Especially now as he has so much decent solo material. I think maybe Liam coming back playing gigs changed that.

Would have loved Everybody's On The Run I must say, but easily the best time I've seen him. New stuff really clicked with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Nowso wrote: »
    nghfb have turned into what beady eye were , messing about with music even the old songs .

go let it out was poor its a liam song and he made a mess off it. there was to much extra backing singers and overdoing everything
    the best songs were when there were just the 4 of them were on . right stuff and others just there to let the extra people have a go .

im shocked so many were that impressed ,

+1 on this.

I'm an Oasis fan since the beginning and have been to all of Noel's gigs. I couldn't make it to any of Liam's but will be in Malahide.

I felt that this was by far the worst of his "solo" gigs. The new album is middling at best at it wasn't until he played Ballad of the Mighty I that the crowd warmed up (I like Riverman but it isn't exactly a "bouncing" song).

Little By Little was majestic on a par with his wonderful version of Masterplan that closed the last gig in the Point. I don't like closing on a cover. Noel has nearly 30 years of an epic back catalogue and closing on a Beatles number is self-indulgent. There are many superb Oasis/NGHFB songs that he could play to end the gig.

I think that last night's gig suffered from 2 weaknesses. The first is that the latest album, imo, is weak and is over produced. It's sound is moving away from what Noel does best - rock & roll.

Also, there are too many artists on stage drowning the sound rather than creating it. I counted 11 at one stage. Half a World away is a joyous song that is typified by its simplicity. Last night it became almost a party song because everyone was adding their piece.

Finally, the night was soured somewhat for me by the behaviour of some of the crowd. I had my 13 year old son with me for his first proper gig. Sat in front of us were 5 blokes in their late 40s absolutely hammered. All they did was roar at each other, slobber and fall over each other and have the Coors Light seller on constant standby whilst they repeatedly stretched across us mumbling sorry to grab their 5 beers every 10 minutes. Why pay €80 for a ticket to get pissed on weak beer?

I'll be back to see Noel again as I am a great fan. His voice sounded great. But he needs to strip it back a bit and return to his roots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

PGE1970 wrote: »
    +1 on this.

I'm an Oasis fan since the beginning and have been to all of Noel's gigs. I couldn't make it to any of Liam's but will be in Malahide.

I felt that this was by far the worst of his "solo" gigs. The new album is middling at best at it wasn't until he played Ballad of the Mighty I that the crowd warmed up (I like Riverman but it isn't exactly a "bouncing" song).

Little By Little was majestic on a par with his wonderful version of Masterplan that closed the last gig in the Point. I don't like closing on a cover. Noel has nearly 30 years of an epic back catalogue and closing on a Beatles number is self-indulgent. There are many superb Oasis/NGHFB songs that he could play to end the gig.

I think that last night's gig suffered from 2 weaknesses. The first is that the latest album, imo, is weak and is over produced. It's sound is moving away from what Noel does best - rock & roll.

Also, there are too many artists on stage drowning the sound rather than creating it. I counted 11 at one stage. Half a World away is a joyous song that is typified by its simplicity. Last night it became almost a party song because everyone was adding their piece.

Finally, the night was soured somewhat for me by the behaviour of some of the crowd. I had my 13 year old son with me for his first proper gig. Sat in front of us were 5 blokes in their late 40s absolutely hammered. All they did was roar at each other, slobber and fall over each other and have the Coors Light seller on constant standby whilst they repeatedly stretched across us mumbling sorry to grab their 5 beers every 10 minutes. Why pay €80 for a ticket to get pissed on weak beer?

I'll be back to see Noel again as I am a great fan. His voice sounded great. But he needs to strip it back a bit and return to his roots.

unless its changes i wouldnt go back

Liams Gig , weston , olympia etc have been miles better - Malahide though may not be the best place for a gig weston wasnt but liam was v good ,

Noels voice sounded ok because he sang the easy tunes - the 1 "Liam " song was Go let it out and he Mad a mess off that. also wasnt imppessed with a his attitude towards some of the crowd , im tending to agree with more of liams tweets after last night than i did before

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

I was sitting in the balcony at the front, in the middle, great seats, but the atmosphere up there was dead, not many singing :( couple in front spent more time on facebook haha

I dont know why he finished with a beatles song when he has so many great songs of his own, which he didnt sing, Masterplan being an example.

I agree with a previous poster about 'Go let it out' leave that one to Liam.

In my opinion the highlight was ' Dead in the Water' just Noel and keyboard player.

Overall a decent gig

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

We were in the front middle also, little to the left, beside a load of English girls who were in and out toilets/bar non bloody stop the whole night. At least twice during every song we had to stand to let one or more of them in/out of the row.

Can't remember who, but remember being at one gig there and the bar was closed when the main act was on stage, and reopened for 15 mins during an interval. Was joy in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Setlist was.....

Missing a few songs. This was shamelessly taken from setlist.fm:

Fort Knox

Holy Mountain

Keep on Reaching

It's a Beautiful World

In the Heat of the Moment

Riverman

Ballad of the Mighty I

If I Had a Gun...

Dream On

Little by Little

The Importance of Being Idle

If Love Is the Law

Dead in the Water

Be Careful What You Wish For

She Taught Me How to Fly

Half the World Away

Wonderwall

AKA... What a Life!

Encore:

The Right Stuff

Go Let It Out

Don't Look Back in Anger

All You Need Is Love

Pete Moss wrote: »
    This was shamelessly taken from setlist.fm

Shamelessly? Why would there be shame in that? I thought Setlist FM was verified.

Shamelessly? Why would there be shame in that? I thought Setlist FM was verified.

Two lads in front of me at one point were calling the next 3 songs from setlist.fm. I actually. I knew the set myself so didn't bother me, but a couple of people asked them politely to cop on.

Overall, I enjoyed the gig. Highlights for me were

Dead In The Water - simplest performance of the night and the best.
    The Riverman
    Dream On
    Aka... What A Life

His latest album is the weakest of the three and there was a lull when he played Be Careful What You Wish For and She Taught Me How To Fly, they're just not great songs in my opinion.

Special shout out to the bloke beside me who bravely attempted to sing along to the "Aaaah Aaaah Aaaah" hook in If I Had A Gun and ended up sounding like Big Foot stepping on a Lego block.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Overall, I enjoyed the gig. Highlights for me were

Dead In The Water - simplest performance of the night and the best.
    The Riverman
    Dream On
    Aka... What A Life

His latest album is the weakest of the three and there was a lull when he played Be Careful What You Wish For and She Taught Me How To Fly, they're just not great songs in my opinion.

Special shout out to the bloke beside me who bravely attempted to sing along to the "Aaaah Aaaah Aaaah" hook in If I Had A Gun and ended up sounding like Big Foot stepping on a Lego block.

Definitely a serious lull for this tune, but funny enough I didn't really get this song until seeing it last night. Very obvious Come Together vibes.

It was just a vague attempt at humour. I spotted a couple of tunes were missing from the set you posted, so I just copied and pasted the full set.
    Two lads in front of me at one point were calling the next 3 songs from setlist.fm. I actually. I knew the set myself so didn't bother me, but a couple of people asked them politely to cop on.

That's one of the more ridiculous things I've heard people do at concerts.

Well, for the casual fan Setlist can be a good guide of what's to come. Indeed, I see the missing songs were posted a few hours back.

All depends on the artist of course. Expecting the same setlist at back to back Springsteen gigs more foolish than it would be for some artists who don't really mix things up much at all.

Have to admit that once I seen Noel had played All You Need Is Love as the closer for the last three or four gigs (perhaps more, that's all I looked at) we made our moves on hearing the opening bars.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate artists of a decent caliber doing covers, particularly Beatles covers. I'm a huge Springsteen disciple obviously but even I hated whenever he'd start into Twist & Shout.

All that balloon nonsense is so gimmicky too. Say what you want about Liam, but he'd never be at that bollox.

The only gimmick of dropping stuff down on the crowd that I ever liked was when AC/DC dropped the Angus Dollars on us. Now that was cool as fcuk. Still have mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

If the balloons were the bands idea and not the venues then it backfired big time as they spent most of the song trying to bat them back off the stage. It was madness

Definitely a serious lull for this tune, but funny enough I didn't really get this song until seeing it last night. Very obvious Come Together vibes.

I'd have preferred if he had sang Come Together!

Also throw in It's a Beautiful World's opening chords paying tribute to (i.e. shamelessly stealing from!!) Ceremony by New Order.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate artists of a decent caliber doing covers, particularly Beatles covers. I'm a huge Springsteen disciple obviously but even I hated whenever he'd start into Twist & Shout.

For me it depends on how the cover is played, especially a Beatles cover. I don't see the point in playing it in the same fashion as the record. I like the Oasis version of I Am The Walrus, it's raw, visceral and a new take on the song. Also, another live cover I enjoyed was GnR doing Black Hole Sun which had a nice sentiment to it, given Chris Cornell had just passed away.

That said, Noel's version of All You Need Is Love was pretty flat and didn't work for me. I hadn't checked the set prior to his gig, but had heard he was doing a Beatles tune and I was disappointed when he kicked into All You Need Is Love.

• Advertisement

Yeah, fair point and I did like Springteen's cover of London Calling @ Hyde Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I thought it was an excellent gig. Really really enjoyed it. I’m a big fan of the new album and thought the songs were great last night - really impressed with Fort Knox. Dead in the Water was amazing!

In fairness to Noel, he could stand there for 3 hours playing Oasis songs if he wanted to but clearly Oasis is a part of his life that he’s moved on from. I did think that Go Let It Out just didn’t work. He’s not charging €130 for a ticket like Bruce Springsteen so I wouldn’t argue.

I haven’t been to as many concerts as I’d like to in recent years but people only half paying attention is an issue for every gig. At Coldplay last year it was the same craic. Where we were sitting last night there was people in and out to the bar every 10 mins. Same at rugby matches. I even saw it when Des Bishop was performing in our local theatre. Besides being disrespectful and inconsiderate, I don’t get why people spend (often) crazy amounts of money to go to an event and not sit down to watch/listen.

Also, Oasis regularly finished their sets with a cover - I Am The Walrus and My Generation being 2 big set closers for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

statto25 wrote:
    If the balloons were the bands idea and not the venues then it backfired big time as they spent most of the song trying to bat them back off the stage. It was madness

Interested to know the thinking behind this alright, mentioned to herself that they hardly dropped green, white, & gold coloured balloons in Belfast!

Also, Oasis regularly finished their sets with a cover - I Am The Walrus and My Generation being 2 big set closers for them.

Also covered Slade. Noel has also covered the Smiths previously and i'm sure that there are more!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Did they check ID's on entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

wacotaco wrote:

Yeah, checked that name on ticket matched your ID.

wacotaco wrote: »

I was asked had I ID, I said yeah while reaching for my wallet. Then she asked did I buy the ticket, I said yeah and she said "go on" without looking at either the name or ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just a curiosity. Did he make reference to Gary Barlow at all? Seeing as he was just across the river in the Bord Gais? :D

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Just a curiosity. Did he make reference to Gary Barlow at all? Seeing as he was just across the river in the Bord Gais? :D

Not a peep.

Advertisement