Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing US car from NI

Options
  • 25-09-2017 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi - I am considering buying an American 1994 Ford Crown Victoria currently registered in NI and bringing it down into RoI to convert into a replica US Police Car. Does anybody know what the VRT might be? Also road tax - it's a 4.6 litre but is tax calculated on age or value or the fact that it is a foreign vehicle? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

They'll have to see it to assess it for VRT (which could be anything...) and the motor tax will be at the top rate (€1809 p.a.).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They'll have to see it to assess it for VRT (which could be anything...) and the motor tax will be at the top rate (€1809 p.a.).

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭goochy

be good if you could use it for limo / chaufferr work and pay feck all road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Also road tax - it's a 4.6 litre but is tax calculated on age or value or the fact that it is a foreign vehicle?

Afraid not. Until it reaches 30 years old the motor tax is based on the engine size. Anything over a 3 litre is €1809 per year, but you could just do 6 months at a time for €1003 or the three months of summer for the low low price of €511!

It's a one size fits all system for motor tax, so it seems silly in your particular case.

VRT is tricky to estimate with your car as it probably wont be on their system so will have to be assessed individually, might end up in the region for €700 - €800, just a guess though, could be more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

I had a similar car before early 90s Pontiac. the cost of vrt and road tax make it a tough sell. also getting spare parts was hard. rockauto i used. had to pay every sort of tax and import duty every-time i needed a part. it was a killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭goochy

Could you not find a 1987 or older and convert to police car?

Advertisement