Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a 6 year old to a different school

Options
  • 25-09-2017 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all, I'll try keep this short. I have a 6 year old daughter and we are currently renting in our local town, I am with bf for 2 years now and we are discussing moving in together. He owns his own house but lives in another town 50 minutes away from us. I don't want to keep renting and was on the verge of moving back in with my parents to save money, I work full time so I don't qualify for any assistance and I'm finding it tough financially renting by myself.
    We would obviously trial living together on my side before making any decisions but I'm very worried about moving my daughter to a new school when she's so settled and happy in her current school. Does anyone have any experience on having done this? And how did it go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I moved from Meath to Mayo 3 years ago, my now 7 yo had just started play school. To this day he still says he misses his 'old' friends. He was a month in the school! :D
    My older girls were fine as I made sure to make it as positive as possible before the move.
    Make it as positive as possible for her. Kids adapt better and make friends quicker than adults. If you have a time frame, when you get a place in school do a half day the week before you start her preferably on the Friday morning. So she's introduced and its not a massive full day in a full week. Then let it flow naturally and if you encounter the 'i miss so and so,' tell them you can try and arrange a weekend playdate. And do arrange it.
    Teachers will help with the transition too, and keep a good flow of communication with them as any problems can be sorted early.
    Don't fuss to visibly, kids latch on to ways to get attention, good or bad.
    Best of luck with your move. :)

Advertisement