Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions for flat & scenic Irish sportive 2018?

Options
  • 25-09-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi folks

I have some friends thinking of coming to Ireland next year to do some cycling. They are older and not big fans of hills:( I've been racking my brains for good, flat and scenic sportives but it's hard to find that combination.. every good, scenic sportive I can think of has climbs.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Leinster loop is fairly flat but not sure about the scenery aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Leinster loop is fairly flat but not sure about the scenery aspect.

The Tour of Kildare - set in the flattest county in Ireland - is the obvious choice.
    Leinster Loop has loads of hills down around Carlow/Castlecomer and Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

The 80k version of the Westportif is definitely scenic and there is only 500m of climbing so pretty flat. The Tour de Conemara is also pretty flat, it has sold out very fast in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Scenic routes by their nature tend to involve mountains and valleys so it's difficult to combine flat and scenic.

The McNally Swords CC annual sportive (usually held in June) is relatively flat (but not particularly scenic IMO).

The Tour of Louth is also relatively flat with only one climb of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Tour of louth only has one hill and passes by carlingford lough. Held the Sunday of the June bank holiday weekend. Tour de Connemara short route seems to be quite flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Tour of Connemara short route only one long hill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lap The Lough.

Starts and finishes in Dungannon. As the name suggests it goes around Lough Neagh. There are some drags, but nothing of any significance. It's always really well organised. The Start/Finish on the Hill of the O'Neills is spectacular.
    It's on the last Sunday in August.(the day before a Northern Ireland Bank Holiday)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Tour of Meath id call flat. But abit boring in terms of scenery, others might disagree.

http://www.meathsports.ie/cycle-tour/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Tour de Connemara is amazingly flat. One small hill at the end coming into Clifden...otherwise, bang for your uphill buck is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

jon1981 wrote: »
    Tour of Meath id call flat. But abit boring in terms of scenery, others might disagree.

http://www.meathsports.ie/cycle-tour/
    Tara, Newgrange, The Boyne valley, Trim Castle, Loughanlea, Moynalvey Boring ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

benneca1 wrote: »
    Tara, Newgrange, The Boyne valley, Trim Castle, Loughanlea, Moynalvey Boring ????

Yeah, maybe i'm more a big hill/climbs guy with coastal scenery ... or maybe because I've cycled those routes 100s of times that it doesn't appeal to me as a sportive...

However, i did say others might disagree and so it might tick the OPs box in terms of flattish and scenic (to some :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

If your friends own a CX or MTB and like small events, then I would highly recommend the Long Heron-5 Aquaducts audax.
    The flattest 200k event in the land. About 140k are on canal tracks ranging from fast gravel sections to grass track to sections that would give Carrefour de l'Arbe a run for its money.
    Class route. Several places on the canal to stop for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Thanks folks, some good suggestions there:)

They did the 80km Tour of Connemara a few years ago in nasty winds and loved the area but want to see more of Ireland rather than going back to the same place.

I had forgotten about the Lap the Lough, did it last year and it is a nice route and very flat (apart from the kick to the finish line!)

The Tour of Louth, The tour of Kildare and the shorter Westportif are great options too

Does it have to be a sportive????? I mean you have the likes of wild Atlantic way and the waterford greenway you can cycle without the constraints of a sportive like fixed date etc. unless they actually want to do a big group spin :confused:

You'd have more opportunity to admire the scenery that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Does it have to be a sportive????? I mean you have the likes of wild Atlantic way and the waterford greenway you can cycle without the constraints of a sportive like fixed date etc. unless they actually want to do a big group spin :confused:

You'd have more opportunity to admire the scenery that way.

They like having an event to aim for but will spend plenty of other days on the bike exploring while here:)

They like having an event to aim for but will spend plenty of other days on the bike exploring while here:)

Ah got ya. Was the same reasoning for me doing my first few sportives this year, having an event to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

lissard wrote: »
    The 80k version of the Westportif is definitely scenic and there is only 500m of climbing so pretty flat. The Tour de Conemara is also pretty flat, it has sold out very fast in the last few years.

Great Western Lakes Sportive has 3 hills . Would be on a par with the others above.

Our climbs over West are short little lumpeens.

Advertisement