Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel handy to the Aviva Stadium

Options
  • 25-09-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking to book an hotel for me and the 3 kids as we are heading to the Ireland match on Friday 6th October.
    Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel close to the stadium or one that public transport makes it easy to get to the Aviva Stadium
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I doubt you'll get anywhere too close to the stadium for a reasonable price but with the DART stopping at the stadium you can go a bit further out. Dublin hotel bookings are through the roof at most times, never mind when there's an event on. I've looked at Sandymount Hotel which is literally about three minutes walk from the stadium and there are double rooms for about €180 - not sure if they are strict about that being one adult and three kids rather than two adults but worth checking I suppose.

Where are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

I coming down from Belfast. I noticed the Maldon New Cross at a reasonable price but from what I could make out it wasn't easy to get to the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Is AirB&B an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The Herbert park hotel.

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anywhere along the DART.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Is AirB&B an option?
    Yes - do you know anywhere in particular

The Herbert park hotel.
    Thanks - will take a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

The Mespil (walking distance of stadium and not too pricey usually) but you'd need to ring to check availability. The Royal Marine in Dun Laoghaire, on the DART line but bit more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

eamonpk wrote: »
    I coming down from Belfast. I noticed the Maldon New Cross at a reasonable price but from what I could make out it wasn't easy to get to the stadium

Do you mean Newlands Cross?

It's a bit far out alright. You coud take the Luas to Connolly and then the Dart to Landsdowne Rd. You'd need to give yourself the guts of 90 minutes to make the journey comfortably. Maybe even 2 hrs to allow for match day delays and crowds. The journey times only would be about 50 minutes and 10 minutes respectively, but match day crowds will affect over all trip times. Newlands Cross is beside the M50,so it's not the most pedestrian friendly part of the world.

The Marine Hotel and Grand Hotel in Sutton and Malahide, are an easy 5 minute walk from the Dart stations. Dunno how cheap they'll be, given it's less than 2 weeks away and its a weekend, but they'd be dead handy. Trip time would be about 30 minutes on a non match day. The are nice spots for the kids to spend the Saturday morning in too, before you head home.

Thanks everyone - I will get sorted with one of the following - unless someone has any other suggestions
    Sandymount
    Herbert Park
    Mespil
    Glashaus
    Maldron
    Gibson
    Marine
    Royal Marine
    Grand Hotel Sutton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thanks everyone - I will get sorted with one of the following - unless someone has any other suggestions
    Sandymount
    Herbert Park
    Mespil
    Glashaus
    Maldron
    Gibson
    Marine
    Royal Marine
    Grand Hotel Sutton

you could try the Tara Towers hotel in Booterstown as well. Its a five minute walk from the Dart.

You also have the Haddington in Dun Laoghaire and the Windsor Lodge B&B in Glasthule (200 mters from Sandycove Dart Station)

Thanks again - I have checked the 9 hotels above and only 2 - Glashaus and Maldron – are anywhere near my price range
    I will add Tara Towers hotel in Booterstown, Haddington in Dun Laoghaire and the Windsor Lodge B&B in Glasthule to my list to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Try either of the Clayton hotels. The Clayton Burlington or the Clayton on simmonscourt Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Aaron court guest house merrion Rd is worth a look to.

Thanks everyone - I managed to get a room at the Glashaus for 125 which was OK as a lot of the other hotels were very dear.
    I can take the Tallaght Luas into town - which is best - get off at Busaras and walk to Connolly to get the Dart - or just take Luas all the way to the 3 Arena and walk
    Final question - the last time I was on the Red Line a fight broke out - is this common as I am going to have 3 young children with me
    Thanks
    Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you have 3 young kids with you, walking from the Point to the Aviva will be a bit of a slog for them. It's a good 20/25 minute walk. I'd get the Dart from Connolly to the Aviva, if I were you.

Some dodgy characters can ride the Red Line Luas alright. When you first get on, sit in the front carriage up beside the driver. There would be less chance of any ahem...messing...happening up there imo.

How far is the walk from last Luas stop to Connolly?
    I have been on the Red Luas line twice. Both times there has been some sort of hassle which isn't a good omen. Definitely take your advice and sit in the front carriage.
    What time will the last Luas be leaving from beside the 3 Arena?

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have been on the Red Luas line twice. Both times there has been some sort of hassle which isn't a good omen. Definitely take your advice and sit in the front carriage.
    What time will the last Luas be leaving from beside the 3 Arena?

The Luas goes to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's no need to walk from the last stop to Connolly. Either get off at Connolly if the Luas you get is going there, if it's one heading to the Point get off at Bus Aras - Connolly station is just across the road from it.

Advertisement