Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Tax

Options
  • 25-09-2017 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have an apt which I purchased and I am thinking of renting for €600 per month.

I am a PAYE full time worker.

€7200 per annum income can anyone advise what taxes would be applicable and what would final figure after tax on income would be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This will depend on your marginal rate of tax, your rental expenses during the tax year, if you have any mortgage interest to offset, etc. It would be worth getting professional advice from a tax adviser.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per what Michael D Not Higgins said- it depends on a few different factors.

1. Presumably your PAYE income brings you over the threshold (i.e. your paying a marginal rate of tax in the higher band)
    2. What expenses do you have relating to the apartment-

I.e.

Management Charges
    Insurance
    Mortgage interest (at 75% allowable)
    Letting costs
    Depreciation of white goods (at 12.5% per annum over 8 years)

All of these are deductible from your gross rental income before determination of your net rental income for tax purposes.

Depending on what this list (which isn't exhaustive by any means!) comes to- you may not have any tax to pay- or it may be at a very low level.

I'd strongly advise getting your accounts done privately the first year (which is also an allowable cost) and then using your return in year 1 as a template for subsequent returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

In brief... you are looking at half of the income less any expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

As per what Michael D Not Higgins said- it depends on a few different factors.

1. Presumably your PAYE income brings you over the threshold (i.e. your paying a marginal rate of tax in the higher band)
    2. What expenses do you have relating to the apartment-

I.e.

Management Charges
    Insurance
    Mortgage interest (at 75% allowable)
    Letting costs
    Depreciation of white goods (at 12.5% per annum over 8 years)

All of these are deductible from your gross rental income before determination of your net rental income for tax purposes.

Depending on what this list (which isn't exhaustive by any means!) comes to- you may not have any tax to pay- or it may be at a very low level.

I'd strongly advise getting your accounts done privately the first year (which is also an allowable cost) and then using your return in year 1 as a template for subsequent returns.

Just one correction. Mortgage interest is allowable at 80% since the start of this year and 100% if you have a tenant getting a social welfare housing payment and have them for 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Assume you will pay half.
    Someone needs to pay for all of our scoungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I believe that 100% relief on interest for social welfare tenants is only allowable if registered in March 2016. The relief is then only allowable via back dating in 2019...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Benny122 wrote: »
    I have an apt which I purchased and I am thinking of renting for €600 per month.

I am a PAYE full time worker.

€7200 per annum income can anyone advise what taxes would be applicable and what would final figure after tax on income would be
    I'm guessing you didn't pay through the tooth for this apartment as €600 per month would only break even on a mortgage of around - €40,000.

Things to consider:
    Insurance
    LPT (not deductable)
    PRTB
    Maintenance
    MGMT charge

That will probably leave about €300 per month taxable (or if your mortgage is anywhere €100k+, €0 taxable, as you're at a loss).

Advertisement