Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotunda Private Consultant - Recommendations

Options
  • 25-09-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

We have decided to go private in the Rotunda. It's our first pregnancy and finding it difficult to choose an obstetrician. We can't ask our family and friends so hoping people can talk about their experiences here to help.
    For those that decided to go the private route, who did you have and how did you find them?
    I had initially thought that I would choose Dr. Sharon Cooley but when I called the Rotunda, the lady mentioned that its the busiest she has ever been and has 30-35 patients at the moment. If she hadn't said that, I probably would have booked in with her.

If anyone has dealt with Dr Sharon Cooley recently, did they feel like they were just another patient / rushed?

I am looking for a consultant that will do regular scans & tests etc and has a nice, calming bedside manner (not so much for me but my husband can panic when someone is in pain... :) ) So any recommendations would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Would you prefer a woman or man? I have dealt with a few :) all lovely but all very different ;)
    They all sit on different days so that might sway you!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

Millem wrote: »
    Would you prefer a woman or man? I have dealt with a few :) all lovely but all very different ;)
    They all sit on different days so that might sway you!

I hadn't thought of whether I'd like a man or a woman. I guess I'm looking for someone calm, reassuring and who does regular scans and checks. The days don't bother me too much. I work close enough to the hospital and I can work around the times given.
    I'm probably not the best decision maker at the best of times but I am really struggling with this. I know a friend that used Dr. Fionnuala Breathnach and she came highly recommended but I am afraid her fees are a little out of our comfort zone.
    I also know two people that used Dr. Rishi as he was their consultant for IVF but I don't know much else about him.
    I know they are all qualified and know what their doing, so how do people typically choose?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 danemail

Its been 3 years since my last baby, but for what its worth, I've had both Dr Cooley and Dr Breathnach and both were just brilliant. I went with Dr Breathnach for my 2nd baby, having met her when I went SP on my first and had a few issues with the pregnancy. I swore I would go back to her privately after that as she was just so calm and reassuring. Turns out she was pregnant when I was with her for my 2nd so she was sharing her workload with Dr Cooley who was just wonderful - delivered my 2nd baby so expertly that I was nearly in shock it had all gone so nicely! She has a lovely manner and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her. I went with Dr Breathnach again on my 3rd purely because of my pregnancy issues, and again she was super. I had a scan every appointment - she has a top of the range machine in her rooms as I'm sure most of the consultants do.

I went SP on my first so rarely saw a consultant, but he was was a difficult birth and a consultant was called in for it - Dr Gaughan - he seemed very nice and I 've since heard great things about him.

Thanks danemail. Very helpful.
    It looks like Dr Sharon Cooley is very popular - and obviously with merit.
    I'm leaning towards her but have that worry in the back of my mind that if she has so many patients, will this impact my interaction with her...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'm curious as to what your worries are about the interaction with the consultant?

Obviously I understand that if you are paying them a lot of money you want to feel you are getting a good service.But I suppose I have had two babies semi-p in the Rotunda and been quite happy with my care,so I am just wondering what sort of interaction you are expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Streetcar sent you a pm

Millem wrote: »
    Streetcar sent you a pm

Thanks so much Millem!

Advertisement