Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Wolseley

Options
  • 25-09-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭

Hows it going lads. I'm out for a round here this coming weekend.

I've never played the course. What practice facilities do they have on-site?

Does anyone have any good info, maybe a quick course guide or a few pointers?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Cracking course. One of the most underrated parklands in the country. Decent practice facilities on site, pretty much everything from short game to long game. They just held a challenge tour event there recently.

Cant be too wild with so many trees so keep the shot selection sensible and dont bite off more than you can chew. Play the index 1 as a par 5. Par 5's are safer played as three shotters as well with driver, iron and wedge. None of them are overly long.

Short par 4 14th I think is a iron and wedge as too much trouble right if taking driver. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Super, thanks for the tips. I've heard its a tough enough trek, so will stick with the sensible approach.

Given its a work outing, we'll likely be off forward tees, so should be able to go with a bit less club off the tee & make sure of a few fairways hopefully.

Forgot they had held a Tour event.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Super, thanks for the tips. I've heard its a tough enough trek, so will stick with the sensible approach.

Given its a work outing, we'll likely be off forward tees, so should be able to go with a bit less club off the tee & make sure of a few fairways hopefully.

Forgot they had held a Tour event.

Forward tees might tempt you on the par fives so :)

The first par 5 is dangerous with water right beside a narrow target area by the green.

The others might just be worth the risk of going for it if in a good enough position off the tee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Love playing Mount Wolseley, hope its not too wet after all that rain. Fantastic course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

What I always remember of it is its long and a tough trek so be sensible. But it is a gem and always in super nick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Too many trees and greens too big, if you can handle the tee shot you'll do well, enjoy!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

delighted to see this. playing this saturday myself with work.

I'll see you there spacecoyote. Up Limerick

Iang87 wrote: »
    delighted to see this. playing this saturday myself with work.

I'll see you there spacecoyote. Up Limerick

Ah good stuff. See you there.

UP THE DUBS!!!

Good stuff, thanks for all the pointers lads. Sounds like the approach for the day is be sensible off the tee & look to keep it in play

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Good stuff, thanks for all the pointers lads. Sounds like the approach for the day is be sensible off the tee & look to keep it in play

Isn’t that the plan on every course in the world?!!!

You won’t be disappointed Space. It’s a fantastic course.

• Advertisement

Well all the praise was correct, Mount Wolseley is a lovely course with a great mix of holes. Conditions were soft enough, placing on fairways.

Was talking with a starter beforehand. There was a Europro event held there a couple of weeks ago, and the weather turned bad shortly after, so they hadn't had a chance to give the rough a proper cut since. As a result of that, anything offline left a very tough shot. His advice was to hit no more than a 7i unless the ball was sitting up well, and it was good advice.

Played fairly solidly, had 33 points on the day, with 1 scratch on the card. Had two 2s (was no 2s club :() and won the nearest the pin prize. Hit a sweet 7i on the 6th which bounced once & crashed into the pin. Came to a stop 18 inches from the hole.

Greens were very tough, and 16/18 pins were in the front third of the green which brought a lot of the danger into play (The other 2 were in the middle. There was a second society group out that day on the course, so I suspect the front pins were an effort to protect the greens). Most of the greens seemed to slope pretty severely from back to front too, so anything long left a snaky putt back down the hill. But they ran extremely true, and were very nice to play on.

Had a couple of poor 3 putts which would have made for a better score & put me in the mix for a prize (there were prizes for the top 6 & I finished 7th!)

It was an inter-office Ryder Cup & myself & my partner won our match, but our team lost the cup overall. As you would expect in an office outing, there were real extremes in terms of scoring.

One group had a +2 handicap, who shot -7 gross to have 41 points. That was enough for 2nd place overall. 42 was the winning score.

At the other end the wooden spoon was given out. I'm not sure what the score was, but it was possibly in the single figures.

Overall, would be very happy to get back to play there again, especially on a Summers day, and would be nice to try the course out from the white tees.

Advertisement