Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMUK vs Lost Sheep climbs

Options
  • 25-09-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking about doing the IMUK full distance in Bolton next year, and trying to gauge the hills against the Lost Sheep hills.

So, just wondering if anyone has done IMUK, as well as the Lost Sheep, and if so how do the climbs compare?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

Good timing with the question. I was only reading blog posts and reviews last night with the possibility of maybe taking it on. I'll be watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I only know of a couple of people that has done both. Maybe others on here might know others. Neither post on here but are active on social media. Might be worth trying Bryan McCrystal or Aidan O'Callaghan on FB or twitter. Not sure if David Sheridan or Rob Cummins has done both but they have done IMUK.

Maybe Peter, or some of the others that coach might have some insights based on their athletes.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

pgibbo wrote: »
    I only know of a couple of people that has done both. Maybe others on here might know others. Neither post on here but are active on social media. Might be worth trying Bryan McCrystal or Aidan O'Callaghan on FB or twitter. Not sure if David Sheridan or Rob Cummins has done both but they have done IMUK.

Maybe Peter, or some of the others that coach might have some insights based on their athletes.

P.

I've done both, but I'm not in the same league as the lads mentioned by pgibbo.

I did IMUK in 1010 and Lost Sheep in 2013.

The IMUK route has changed since but I remember Sheep Lane Hill was long and having to do it 3 times was tough. The 3 x laps we had to do were very undulating and the road surface was ****. I do recall that the year I did it very few people broke 6hrs (it's in my race report, I'll try and find it).

Lost Sheep hills were shorter and easier to deal with I felt. Also there's a hell of a lot less fatigue over 90km as opposed to 180km, so that helps. The descents on the Lost Sheep were a lot more technical and steeper / faster. The IM descents were slower.

Not sure if that helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

griffin100 wrote: »
    I did IMUK in 1010 and Lost Sheep in 2013.

The IMUK route has changed since but I remember Sheep Lane Hill was long and having to do it 3 times was tough. The 3 x laps we had to do were very undulating and the road surface was ****.

I bet is has changed quite a bit since then.......;)
    and lucky if there was any road surface at all

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

The course for the last couple of years seem to be 2 loops but seemingly its all going to change for 2018 and announced in December. But of course Sheephouse lane will always be there. The bike course is a deciding factor for me so I might hold off until they confirm it but timing works out for me to do this one. Since I pulled out of the last 2 full distance races I had targeted the last 2 years Bolton is tempting as well since it won't sell out and I can see how I am going before committing to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

Having done both the old and current Imuk route, I wouldn't focus to much on the 'big' climbs, subjectively they are no big deal really. However the overall low percentage of true flat road will make for a slowish day and some of the little lumps will leave their mark if not managed right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Thanks guys.

Think I will do this one. I did Hardman half and Lost sheep this year, so want to test a longer distance in 2018.

Bolton is early in the season, so will be good to have it done and hopefully be able to look at shorter races later in the summer.

Will be following Don Fink plan, and I believe the plan allows for the Lough Cutra half as the HIM in its schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Does Ireland have any HIM around May, or just double Olympic in Athy? Lough Cutra only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Lough Cutra half is 27th May - DF plan calls for a practice half on 20th May

Advertisement