Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house price difference with no running water or septic tank

Options
  • 25-09-2017 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

All,
    I'm looking to get a rough value difference in a house.
    The house is worth about 300k if it had water and sewer.
    However the water is supplied via a well on a neighbouring property, power for the well is also provided my the neighbouring property at the well provides for the two houses.
    The septic tank is also on a neighbouring property. The site does not have access to a public sewer or have room for a septic tank.
    There is a possibility of getting a water supply connected but would be costly as concrete and tar would have to be dug up just to find pipes.
    My question is this.
    With the full facilities working the house is worth 300k.
    But if the facilities were to be taken away how much would it drop the value by? I know it's hard without seeing but a rough figure is all I am after
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

It's not just the cost of installation of the services that is relevant it's the correct permissions to have those services accessed that's the real issue.

Also having a legal document to entitle use of those services or rights of way for pipes that are the potential stumbling block.

I.e. A neighbour could ask 300k to allow access to these services or even more in theory, like wise if there is not a legal binding document, there is nothing to stop same person blackmailing for ransom in the future by cutting access to said services.
    Property is unmortgageable without the services and would have to be bought for cash, example given difference in price could be 50 -80 k without services if 300k with( i.e. 220k less), that's one reason why purchasers use solicitors, to investigate access to services as well as title to same .

Developers and builders have often used ransom strips to ensure skuppering neighbours land to make it worthless apart from agricultural use. Likewise they have charged hundreds of thousands to connect to sewers and mains.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

have room for a septic tank.
    1. how has the above been determined?
    2. What is the site area (m2)?
    3. Without waste treatment the house isn't habitable, if it's not habitable is it worth a anything?
    4. Is this a speculative purchase?
    5. What has your surveyor suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

BryanF wrote:
    1. how has the above been determined? 2. What is the site area (m2)? 3. Without waste treatment the house isn't habitable, if it's not habitable is it worth a anything? 4. Is this a speculative purchase? 5. What has your surveyor suggested?

Septic tank needs to be 10m from building and 2 or 3 mteres from boundary with percolation area also the garden runs about 8 metres to a boundary.
    30m x 30m approx.
    I'm going to speak to a surveyor to get some advice but want some info in my head first.

Advertisement