Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change plugs

Options
  • 25-09-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭

Hi,

See the 2 attached plugs. The grey one (13 amp) is attached to a tumble dryer.

Is it possible to cut the grey one and replace it with the 13 amp white one ?

Or is the grey one some kind of a special plug ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Perfectly fine once it's wired correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

So I cut the grey cable and attached the white socket. All wired up correctly etc.

Then plugged in and turned on my tumble dryer. Milli second I turn it on, all the SOCKETS in the house turn off and I have to go to main house fuse box to turn on again.

I know hard to tell but does this indicate

A) an issue with the tumble dryer
    B) an issue with the electrics or wiring in the house itself.

Note: the reason I did the change of plugs was because the 13 amp fuse in the grey tumble dryer plug looked a small bit burnt or singed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,550 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Turn the fuses back on and plug something else in. If it works, then it's either the tumble dryer or your wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

obi604 wrote: »
    Note: the reason I did the change of plugs was because the 13 amp fuse in the grey tumble dryer plug looked a small bit burnt or singed.

A really important piece of information that should have been in your opening post.

I will leave it for somebody with more experience to answer this - but I would start by first checking the socket. Providing of course you are sure you wired the plug correctly.

Water John wrote: »
    Turn the fuses back on and plug something else in. If it works, then it's either the tumble dryer or your wiring.

yeah, did this, plugged in another device and no issue

• Advertisement

wait4me wrote: »
    A really important piece of information that should have been in your opening post.

I will leave it for somebody with more experience to answer this - but I would start by first checking the socket. Providing of course you are sure you wired the plug correctly.

hands up

yes, I am sure the plug is wired correctly, checked the diagram supplied with plug, checked online, checked a YouTube video etc
    and then double checked :) as very wary of anything to do with electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Be aware that appliance warranty is void once the moulded plug is cut off

ptogher14 wrote: »

twas void after 1 year, I have the dryer for 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

ptogher14 wrote: »
    Debateable. Many manufacturers have confirmed that if this is done correctly by a competent Electrician then it will not void the warranty. (However, that evidently is not the case here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd be taking off the socket off to see if there is a loose wire.

Make sure to turn off the sockets at the board.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Debateable. Many manufacturers have confirmed that if this is done correctly by a competent Electrician then it will not void the warranty. (However, that evidently is not the case here!)

Bit harsh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Risteard81 wrote: »

Bit harsh :(
    How is it harsh? You are not a competent Electrician - that is merely a statement of fact. I can state that without fear of contradiction without seeing the quality of the job you did of rewiring the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Charlie19 wrote: »

An RCD tripping when a tumble dryer is turned on wouldn't suggest a loose wire in the socket to me.

Fuse "burnt or singed" might, but only if the pins on the plugtop were also heat damaged.

OP plug something like a kettle in the socket, if the sockets trip you may have a problem with the socket.

If just the dryer makes it trip you have a problem with the dryer. Is it a condenser dryer?

An RCD tripping when a tumble dryer is turned on wouldn't suggest a loose wire in the socket to me.

Fuse "burnt or singed" might, but only if the pins on the plugtop were also heat damaged.

OP plug something like a kettle in the socket, if the sockets trip you may have a problem with the socket.

If just the dryer makes it trip you have a problem with the dryer. Is it a condenser dryer?

Thanks. Good constructive advice.

Yep, it's a condenser dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi,

See the 2 attached plugs. The grey one (13 amp) is attached to a tumble dryer.

Is it possible to cut the grey one and replace it with the 13 amp white one ?

Or is the grey one some kind of a special plug ?

Any reason why you want to replace?

Thanks. Good constructive advice.

Yep, it's a condenser dryer.

If it only trips with the dryer,

is it as soon as it's plugged in?

Or when you start it?

First thing to do is unplug it and look for water where it shouldn't be!

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Any reason why you want to replace?

yeah , cause fuse in the plug was slightly singed

If it only trips with the dryer,

is it as soon as it's plugged in?

Or when you start it?

First thing to do is unplug it and look for water where it shouldn't be!

as soon as you start it

yeah, there is no water anywhere, water container is empty, condenser has been cleaned and left dry for 3 nights , fluff filter cleaned etc

as soon as you start it

yeah, there is no water anywhere, water container is empty, condenser has been cleaned and left dry for 3 nights , fluff filter cleaned etc

Unlikely to be the cable if it waits until you start it.

Did you remove covers to check for water?

Unlikely to be the cable if it waits until you start it.

Did you remove covers to check for water?

I did indeed.

One more thing.

Before this, you would turn on the dryer, it could work for 2 seconds or 22 seconds or 2 minutes or 22 minutes........and then stop. And you would have to turn it on manually again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

We had this problem years ago with a tumble drier.
    It turned out to be the metal stay from an underwired bra that had disappeared into the innards and was shorting off the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

Photo of your wiring would be useful to rule it out.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Photo of plug showing the terminated cable perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Charlie19 wrote: »

Loose wire unlikely to trip an RCD. Neutral and earth mixed up in the plug would though. Or some other problem involving the dryer.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Loose wire unlikely to trip an RCD. Neutral and earth mixed up in the plug would though. Or some other problem involving the dryer.

I ended up buying a new dryer, I plugged in to the same socket as the old dryer and is working fine for the last day and a half.

I still have the old dryer, will maybe keep as a backup , seems a shame to throw it out, only just 4 years old. so am trying to get it working with replacing the plug etc but seems it must be some internal thing in the dryer that is messed up, hardly worth fixing between a call out and probably parts etc etc

Advertisement