Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir fibre

Options
  • 25-09-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,

Installed eir fibre today, for better speeds and for the sport, maybe it's my negative nature but from past experience with eir I expected issues and I wasn't disappointed,

1. Engineer set everything up, I got a text afterwards letting me know what my new landline number was! This was news to me, was told I would be keeping my own number

2. WiFi is brutal! I sat next to the modem just now to go on here, took almost a minute to load the page, constantly switching between 2.4g and 5g to maintain a connection (phone just popped up with a message saying there was no internet connection on 5g!)

Tried to ring eir, was on hold for half an hour, gave up.

I was told that I was guaranteed 150meg to the modem, when doing a speed test on 2.4 I get about 45 download, 30 upload, on 5g I get 130 download, 30 upload which I would be happy with.

From looking through here I have seen a lot of complaints about the WiFi, seen somewhere that the Huawei equipment is a known problem which eir aren't taking responsibility for.

Does anyone have experience of this and had their issues sorted, or should I cut and run while still in the cooling off period?

Say what you want about Vodafone but I have never had problems getting through to their technical support, with eir it's like trying to get through to trump!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi,

Installed eir fibre today, for better speeds and for the sport, maybe it's my negative nature but from past experience with eir I expected issues and I wasn't disappointed,

1. Engineer set everything up, I got a text afterwards letting me know what my new landline number was! This was news to me, was told I would be keeping my own number

2. WiFi is brutal! I sat next to the modem just now to go on here, took almost a minute to load the page, constantly switching between 2.4g and 5g to maintain a connection (phone just popped up with a message saying there was no internet connection on 5g!)

I was told that I was guaranteed 150meg to the modem, when doing a speed test on 2.4 I get about 45 download, 30 upload, on 5g I get 130 download, 30 upload which I would be happy with.

From looking through here I have seen a lot of complaints about the WiFi, seen somewhere that the Huawei equipment is a known problem which eir aren't taking responsibility for.

Does anyone have experience of this and had their issues sorted, or should I cut and run while still in the cooling off period?

Say what you want about Vodafone but I have never had problems getting through to their technical support, with eir it's like trying to get through to trump!
    Hi johnytwentyten, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. 

I'm very sorry to hear of the ongoing issues you are having with ourselves, I understand this is frustrating. 

Feel free to PM me your account details and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks 

Adam 

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Hi,

Switched from Sky to Eir. Sky was expensive but never had problem with Broadband. Now continuously losing connection. Engineer checked and said no problem with line. Gave us new modem to try but no good still regularly losing connection. Tied into 18 month contract but can't see us staying with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

The WiFi bars on my phone are always strong but I'm having the same problem all the time, rang eir today, helpful lady tried a few things and told me to monitor the WiFi for a few days but if anything it's worse, I inquired about a possible issue with these modems, there was a two second delay before she answered, silence was deafening!

My TV is connected through WiFi (was always the first device to lose a signal if there were any WiFi issues previously) and actually seems ok, but smartphones, tablets and PS4 are all struggling, was getting between fifteen and twenty meg on Vodafone on average and they all worked grand,

Can't see myself sticking with them either, took me about a minute to get on here tonight again

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Seriously considering cancelling eir, found this article https://editorsean.com/articles/fix-slow-eir-f2000-wi-fi/ gave it a go and the difference is amazing, sorted it for me, can someone in eir take note of this article and maybe have it as part of a troubleshooting guide or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Seriously considering cancelling eir, found this article  https://editorsean.com/articles/fix-slow-eir-f2000-wi-fi/ gave it a go and the difference is amazing, sorted it for me, can someone in eir take note of this article and maybe have it as part of a troubleshooting guide or something?
    Hi there johnnytwentyten

So glad to hear that you got this sorted for you.  Will be sure to pass your feedback and this link onto the relevant department now

-Kyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

150mb?
    That's only over fibre optic unless you have a fibre optic line going into your house it'll just be fibre to cab going the rest of the way to your house. Which will decrease over distance.
    They call this fibre when it's not fibre but VDSL ADSL2 which is 100mb max

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Forumsie

Hi Eir
    I can't seem to get through to anyone on the phone who could give me an answer so I thought I would try here. We just moved into a new estate in Ashtown, Dublin 15. We arranged to get connected to Eir on Tuesday. Since its a new estate we understood that we had to get a phone line connected first. When the engineer from KN Networks arrived on Tuesday he said he couldn't do anything as the cables weren't in the road yet.

I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me when Eir will be laying the cables. Thr pipes and cabinets are there already. I keep getting cut off when I call.

Please can you give me a number or email of someone who can tell us when we'll be able to get broadband?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Forumsie wrote: »
    Hi Eir
    I can't seem to get through to anyone on the phone who could give me an answer so I thought I would try here. We just moved into a new estate in Ashtown, Dublin 15. We arranged to get connected to Eir on Tuesday. Since its a new estate we understood that we had to get a phone line connected first. When the engineer from KN Networks arrived on Tuesday he said he couldn't do anything as the cables weren't in the road yet.

I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me when Eir will be laying the cables. Thr pipes and cabinets are there already. I keep getting cut off when I call.

Please can you give me a number or email of someone who can tell us when we'll be able to get broadband?

Thanks
    Hi there Forumsie

Thank you for getting in touch. Would you mind sending me the following in a PM and I'll take a look at this for you?

1.       Full registered name on account
    2.       Account number
    3.    Full registered address with eircode
    4.       Email address
    5.       DOB
    6.       Order number (if you have)

-Kyle

Advertisement