Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you enjoy your job/course and what do you do.

• 25-09-2017 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I often read about people hating there job and therek stuck because of bills ect

So do you enjoy your job (or college course, and what do you do?

Personally I'm a final year software development student and love it. I could sit down from 9-5 and feel it flies by, where as when I worked in retail I hated it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Love my job, its office work and only a CE Scheme so part time, but I'm very lucky to have it and enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I used to enjoy my job. Team leader of an investigstive unit for clients.
    Now it's just a means to pay my bills. There is no motivation given by management other than to shut up and do your work.
    Haven't had a single raise since starting nearly 3 years ago.
    But.. I decided to change my attitude a bit last year and I'm not working on a project which would save the company money every year. Project ends in January and I should get a small payout for it and when it's all done I'll stick it in my c.v and begin to search for my next role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

nkav86 wrote: »
    Love my job, its office work and only a CE Scheme so part time, but I'm very lucky to have it and enjoy it!

Sorry , but is this sarcasm, if its not apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I love a certain type of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Love my job, just got even better when I joined a new team who are there to take some of my work load allowing me to focus on more of the aspects of work that I enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

if i didn't like it, i wouldn't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Your Face wrote: »
    I love a certain type of job.

You must have inherited that from your mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

My job is painfully dull and I'm worse at it (and paid less) than the rest of my colleagues, but it lets me work wherever and whenever I want, so.. I'll stick with it until something more interesting comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I love my job. Yes there are days/nights I dont want to go in, its difficult, its long hours, wouldn't mind more money, but have never once said to my self I dislike/hate my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Why are you downing someone who is making an effort with themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Not particularly. There's aspects of the job that I really love, and I've been extraordinarily lucky to have reached where I am within a company seen as a great employer, but there's something missing in it/me that I find difficult to reconcile. I used to put it down to the Peter Principle, but they keep giving me promotions and new roles, so I've decided that most of it is me being overly neurotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hated my last job. The people were really nice and that's what kept me there so long. The management couldn't care less. They were not nice individuals so it gave me great satisfaction when I walked out mid shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No, don't like my job or career but it pays good money and the mortgage won't pay itself

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

I work in retail and I love it - no sarcasm. I got 500+ points in the Leaving Cert, a 2:1 in my degree and I know my mother wishes I worked at something with more money or prestige attached. But I'm happy. Colleagues are nice, I spend the day chatting to people, no early starts or late nights, never have to worry/think about the place when I'm not there. Winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bikubesong wrote: »
    I work in retail and I love it - no sarcasm. I got 500+ points in the Leaving Cert, a 2:1 in my degree and I know my mother wishes I worked at something with more money or prestige attached. But I'm happy. Colleagues are nice, I spend the day chatting to people, no early starts or late nights, never have to worry/think about the place when I'm not there. Winner!

Best thing about retail is chatting to people all day
    Worst thing is when they get cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Spent many years in retail, currently doing a course in system admin. Love the course even though its a lot of work, hated programming sorry op.

As for a job, in college they fill us with dreams about all these well paid jobs just waiting for us when we finish, then I come on here and everyone who posts about IT seems to hate their job. It does not inspire me for the future lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I mostly enjoy my job and I get to learn new things about stuff that interests me (sometimes I have to figure them out and then silently rant to myself about the cruel vagaries of natural laws vis-a-vis mucking up what I'm trying to do), although I have some issues with the structure of the job too. A lot of having to do things that shouldn't really be part of my job to keep my part of it running smoothly and my position in the team is a bit loose due to it, even if the stuff I do helps to keep that running smoothly too. Not the only one in that boat.

I will likely move on at some point, I don't want to be stuck there forever, but I do generally enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

In My current job 1.5 years

I am a team leader and was brought in to create and manage this particular department through a recruitment agency

From an operational viewpoint I could understand my staff getting board with the core role but I am constantly looking for department process improvements so as a team I delegate tasks ranging from IT improvements . To process and admi improvements etc so everyone is working on something different while doing the main job

Otherwise we will become board and hate our jobs possibly or just board

Range of duties can make some people happy with extra responsibility

Whilst some people want to the do the bear minimum and be happy with it
    It's learning to identify those people early and also trying figure out what interests them and seeing is there duties or tasks that can take on to ensure they are actually happy

Sometimes '' it's isn't the job but rather the management above in my experience

Also the constant tasks and duties gives us a direction and objectives so the team interaction is quite good and we are under no pressure whatsoever to have X done by end of the day or that week but we do set deadlines so we have something to work towards otherwise it could fall apart

Where I the team will be in another year who knows but hopefully not 'Hating' our jobs

I always said the cliche line' A job is what you mke it '

For me spending 8 hours a day somewhere I'd want to like it and be sure I'd want my team to enjoy it otherwise it's gonna be an awful experience and bad atmosphere possibly

We all should enjoy our jobs if we can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think I ducking love my job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I love my job but I'm always looking to progress to the next level. Thankfully that's possible in my company but can take some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I actually absolutely used to love my job. But recently, my team was merged with another team, the message being that we'd be providing some extended support based on the expertise of both teams. The reality is, since we were the smaller team, we're now essentially only doing what the larger team has always done.
    And it's very, very boring.

So while I wouldn't say that I hate my job now, I'm certainly looking at moving to something else. Thankfully, there is a lot of restructuring going on, and there will be a number of new roles that are currently being hammered out. One of them might fit me better than what I do now.

SCOOP 64 wrote:

Lol no its not. I've worked some pretty awful jobs, toilet cleaning, retail, call centres.....hated all of them. In this job I don't have to ask to use the bathroom or get timed. I can grab a coffee and have it at my desk and actually do some work that makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Its small potatoes compared to other people's professions, but for me its enough right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

nkav86 wrote: »
    Lol no its not. I've worked some pretty awful jobs, toilet cleaning, retail, call centres.....hated all of them. In this job I don't have to ask to use the bathroom or get timed. I can grab a coffee and have it at my desk and actually do some work that makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Its small potatoes compared to other people's professions, but for me its enough right now

And fair play to you. Don't know why they asked you that tbh. Hope it all works well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wouldn't say I love my job, but I love the parts that interest me, and the lifestyle it funds for when I'm not working.

Plus, any of us posting on boards at 2pm of a tuesday afternoon can't be too hard up on their job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If I'm going to be doing something for 50% of the time I am awake 5 days a week, then it needs to be something I enjoy.

neonsofa wrote:
    And fair play to you. Don't know why they asked you that tbh. Hope it all works well for you.

Thank you! I was probably too cheery about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Lo_La

If my job was on paper being advertised I would definitely apply for it but the reality of actually doing the job is boring and leaves me day dreaming a lot as to what else I can possibly do but so far I haven't come up with anything better so i'm still here. One of the main reasons i'm still here is that it is very flexible and it's hard to get that in other jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Hate working, Like being Paid, so it's a trade off really

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm a journalist. Some days I like it, some days I really like it, some days I absolutely hate it and wish I could do something else.

Why are you downing someone who is making an effort with themselves?

No definitely not, if your happy it dosnt matter what you do, i think anyone genuinely happy going to work are happy in life , but for most unfortunately not true, i believe CE schemes should be permanent paid employment, im sure the op would be even happier if offered this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I fcuking love it!

Would do it for free only I have bills to pay. Dont know what I am going to do when I retire.

I fcuking love it!

Would do it for free only I have bills to pay. Dont know what I am going to do when I retire.

Now this must be sarcasm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Now this must be sarcasm!

Not a single syllable.

Why do people have to hate their job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I find my job in a shoe recycling center completely sole destroying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For the last 2 years I've hated my job, the working conditions have deteriorated, and pressure grown more each month, with no sign of improvement. Soul-destroying stuff, but it wasn't always like this, and maybe it'll improve again so we'll keep plugging away.

Pays the bills.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Not a single syllable.

Why do people have to hate their job?

Don't have to hate it just do, anywhere i have to be up early every day at same time for years and years, how could you love it.
    if you did something that you are actually interested in then maybe, my job it just pays the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I work in IT and I love it. It's great helping people who run the business by giving them the tools they need to do their job and giving them the data to allow them to do it better.

I have a great work-life balance, relaxed dress code and friendly colleagues.

I love my job in terms of what I do to-day-to day, but oddly enough, the ultimately meaningless nature of my work is terribly dissatisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Yes, I love my job. I'm a Special Needs Assistant in a special education school. I'm part time at the moment but hoping that'll change to full time in the near future.
    Apart from the fact that I love kids and always have done, working school hours and having pretty much the same school holidays as my youngest is great. Financially speaking it's also ideal for me as a single parent. I started out on a JobBridge scheme 4 years ago and did a stint of voluntary and substitute work up until this school year when I became permanent.

• Advertisement

I love my job because I find it very interesting and stimulating, it feels like I'm pursuing a hobby and getting paid for it. I really enjoy it and it rarely feels like work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I dont hate my job, I love aspects of it dislike others
    I would love if some I worked with would go away, or at least SHUT UP!!!!

Others are grand. I'm not so much of a people person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Yes and no.

I love being a teacher. It's a real vocation and I'm passionate about education and working with children.

I hate teaching within the system here. Being required to tell children they're not allowed on the grass or not allowed across the white line to play with their friend who's in a different class and, when they ask why, I don't have a valid reason to give them, really makes me sad.

Being shot down at staff meetings when I make suggestions for anything slightly different to what has been done in the school for the last 30 years, with no other reason than "that's the way it's always been done here", is quite depressing.

This is so lovely. Only 3 years ago I went from cleaning toilets to my dream career and I remember really enjoying all those things you mentioned, even just having all my things with me not in a locker all day, being able to get up and make a coffee whenever I liked, the little things.

Its amazing how these small things can, as you said, make or break a job. Really happy to hear you're on the way to your desired role. Absolute best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I have mixed feelings about my job. I suffer from anxiety, which makes any job difficult, and I'm very anti-social (in the sense that I get super drained being in groups, like in the coffee room) so I don't interact much with my colleagues. They are, however, for the most part, good people, and I have two really good friends here, and there are others I get on very well with in one-to-one situations. I get on well with everyone professionally.

So, if I leave my anxiety and crippling sense of self-worthlessness out of it (which naturally affects my confidence in my work), I have it very good right now. It's a temp contact, which has been renewed numerous times in various forms. Hoping to get permanent by the end of the year. The work I do can be an absolute pain the balls, but at times I also love it. I don't love the context in which I do it (I.T.) but I love content creation.

Earlier this year I thought when my contract ended in September, I'd be out on my ass, and sunk time and money into retraining in admin with some courses. That is now likely for nothing due to upcoming job opportunity. That made me very resentful, because there will be aspects of the new role I will hate (done it before, didn't like it), as well as aspects I do, and I felt obliged to take it because it's a good job, rather than the instability of pursuing something else.

However, the job will be stable, well-paid and generally manageable. Which, really, is the absolute best I could hope for as I have always lacked stability and money. Basically, the value of the job as a means to get by is far more important than what I actually want, and on that level, it's great and I am delighted to have it.

I'm also doing a different course now which should complement the work I'm doing and hopefully open up routes for me here in a context I enjoy more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't not enjoy my job, but I don't love it either.

It is what it is, a means to an ends. I love living in my house and feeding my kids, my job is merely how I fund those things!

The pros are, I like most of the people, the money is OK and I'm here long enough to just be left to do whatever the hell I want. Technically I have to answer to the production director but he knows that if he leaves me alone the work will get done, even if I pop out for an hour or two every now and then, so he does just that. I don't take the piss though - my motto is you should never abuse a good thing, cos you'll miss it when it's gone.

The cons, it's a bit of dead end, so it won't ever get me a lamborghini and it's prone to wild variations in how busy we are, so when there's work to be done, there's lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Hated my last job. The people were really nice and that's what kept me there so long. The management couldn't care less. They were not nice individuals so it gave me great satisfaction when I walked out mid shift.

I hope you wiped at least.

Advertisement