Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage broker or direct to bank?

• 25-09-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

I've spoken to KBC briefly at a stand and they gave me their spiel but I mentioned that I was planning go to a broker.

They seemed to be pretty sure of themselves that a broker will just send me their way regardless as they have the best offers at the moment.

Has anyone gone to a broker recently and not been sent KBC's way? I don't want to waste time with a middle man that's not really needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Panda wrote: »
    I've spoken to KBC briefly at a stand and they gave me their spiel but I mentioned that I was planning go to a broker.

They seemed to be pretty sure of themselves that a broker will just send me their way regardless as they have the best offers at the moment.

Has anyone gone to a broker recently and not been sent KBC's way? I don't want to waste time with a middle man that's not really needed.

Deal with the banks direct. It's straightforward and you feel more in control. Go to more than one bank. Don't be afraid to let them know you are shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I would the opposite and go to the broker if they are good. I wanted to apply to different banks and have my pick of them when I was buying a few years back. Rather than talking and submitting info to each bank and dealing with followup questions I went through the broker, met and went through everything and he sorted approval from multiple banks very easily and little effort from myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

All the lenders have different policy, criteria, terms and rates and a good non fee broker will let you know the best lender to suit your circumstances.

Most definitely go to a good mortgage broker whose core business is mortgages unlike the banks who have mortgage advisors with very little experience.

KBC are offering good rates for fixed mortgages with the option of a better rate if you open a current account with them however they still charge 4.30% standard variable rate in comparison to AIB whose standard variable rate is 3.15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Can anybody recommend a good non fee broker? Feel free to PM any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

We did both, used a broker and went direct to a bank.

The brokers recommendation was to use PTSB. As we had all the info gathered I went to AIB to see if they would match or do better. At the time they couldnt do either (rates have since changed with AIB and they are now offering a lower variable but our preference is to go fixed so that we can be sure of our repayment as we start our mortgage payments so PTSB still suits us better).

What I liked about the broker, he was fast, efficient, he does this for a living and I trusted him to make the best decision for us. I cant say that I trusted the bank. What I really like about the broker is that at the end of the 3 year fixed period we are signing up for he will help us find the best option (either stay with PTSB or move, stay fixed or go variable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

We did both, used a broker and went direct to a bank.

The brokers recommendation was to use PTSB. As we had all the info gathered I went to AIB to see if they would match or do better. At the time they couldnt do either (rates have since changed with AIB and they are now offering a lower variable but our preference is to go fixed so that we can be sure of our repayment as we start our mortgage payments so PTSB still suits us better).

What I liked about the broker, he was fast, efficient, he does this for a living and I trusted him to make the best decision for us. I cant say that I trusted the bank. What I really like about the broker is that at the end of the 3 year fixed period we are signing up for he will help us find the best option (either stay with PTSB or move, stay fixed or go variable).

Can you PM the brokers contact details please

• Registered Users Posts: 19 leburg

Can someone PM me a recommended broker please.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TT rainbows

went to a broker at the start. Couldnt see anything he did that I couldn't do myself. In the end dealt directly with two banks and picked best offer. The broker 'suggested' a bank which he then gets a type of commission from for finding a 'customer'. Seems suspect to me. If you have time and ability go yourself and make an informed decision whats the best bank for you. If you dont have the time or patience then a broker could be useful and can offer advice when its stuff your not familiar with.

Advertisement