Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermenting without airlock

Options
  • 25-09-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

I bought a fermenter recently as part of a starter kit and the instructions indicate that for fermentation you just sit the lid on top (and not snap it closed). It does not come with a pre-drilled hole for an airlock.

Seems to me like I might get bacteria in my brew! Should I just drill a small hole so that I can add an airlock (with one of those rubber seals around the whole obviously) and snap the lid closed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

kingtut wrote: »
    I bought a fermenter recently as part of a starter kit and the instructions indicate that for fermentation you just sit the lid on top (and not snap it closed). It does not come with a pre-drilled hole for an airlock.

Seems to me like I might get bacteria in my brew! Should I just drill a small hole so that I can add an airlock (with one of those rubber seals around the whole obviously) and snap the lid closed?

Yes,
    That way you can monitor the activity taking place with the airlock by throwing an eye on the rate the bubbles come up (as well as keeping stuff in the air from entering).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Yes,
    That way you can monitor the activity taking place with the airlock by throwing an eye on the rate the bubbles come up (as well as keeping stuff in the air from entering).

Perfect thanks, guess I just needed confirmation of what felt right :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

no.
    Commercial brewries dont even bother having lids on their fermenters.

The pH is low enough to inhibit bacteria, the CO2 above the beer prevents oxygenation, and it is at positive pressure outgassing to reduce moulds, bacteria and yeasts entering.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just leave the lid on loose so CO2 can escape. You don't need an airlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FWIW I just made a small hole in the top and pushed the airlock through without any rubber seal. Yet to get an infected brew. As pointed out above though, not even necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

1. You could spot a stuck fermentation very early.
    2. It let's you see what activity stage is going on without touching the DJ.
    3. Makes you feel like a mad scientist.

Advertisement