Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammit 25 and obs engine nano advice needed

• 26-09-2017 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Recently purchased both rtas. However im not getting the amazing flavour that all the reviews go on about.

Ive messed around with different micro coils, spaced micro coils, number of coil wraps and diameters but not getting much flavour.

Have changed heights of coils etc and wicking techniques but still dissapointing.

Im wondering do I need to start using clapton coils etc to get the best outta these kind of tanks?

Im using 26 gauge 316 stainless at the min at anywhere from 40-50 watts.

Unsure what to try next or what wire to purchase

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Recently purchased both rtas. However im not getting the amazing flavour that all the reviews go on about.

Ive messed around with different micro coils, spaced micro coils, number of coil wraps and diameters but not getting much flavour.

Have changed heights of coils etc and wicking techniques but still dissapointing.

Im wondering do I need to start using clapton coils etc to get the best outta these kind of tanks?

Im using 26 gauge 316 stainless at the min at anywhere from 40-50 watts.

Unsure what to try next or what wire to purchase

To get the best flavour from RTA's/RDA's,you do need to use those big coils with high wattages like 70w - 120w,any higher would be a very hot vape.
    Fused/Staggered/Twisted/Staple...Claptons & others is what you need,Best Shop sells them...€3 a pair with some Muji cotton,using dual coil,the resistance is around 0.12,I vape them around the 100w but get ready with your 250ml juice bottle,I normally use 250ml bottles for each set-up I am vaping.
    I buy these sometimes http://www.juicecabin.com/shekem-shekit-s/239-custard-cream-shekem-shekit.html#/1507-bottle_size-to_make_250ml_shekem
    you need your own Nic/PG/VG to make it,scroll down the page for easy instructions on how to mix it,I do the 80/20 mix at 6mg....only £11.99 & I use the DPD Wizard courier https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/HomePage#/

With the Ammit 25 single coil,the coil will be around 0.2 here's a video & he says he is getting great flavour....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ahgJ87wEI

I don't use the Ammit for flavour,mostly throat hit I'm after,I use drippers for flavour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I use simple kanthal wire micro coils and vape at 45-55w on my RTAs and I get good flavour. It';s not about the coils, it's about the wicking. Try other cotton, try not to stuff so much in, less is more in many cases. With the Engine, just barely enough cotton to cover the juice hole, not stuffed down into it. If anything, higher wattages kill flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭stuartmurphy87

To get the best flavour from RTA's/RDA's,you do need to use those big coils with high wattages like 70w - 120w,any higher would be a very hot vape.
    Fused/Staggered/Twisted/Staple...Claptons & others is what you need,Best Shop sells them...€3 a pair with some Muji cotton,using dual coil,the resistance is around 0.12,I vape them around the 100w but get ready with your 250ml juice bottle,I normally use 250ml bottles for each set-up I am vaping.
    I buy these sometimes http://www.juicecabin.com/shekem-shekit-s/239-custard-cream-shekem-shekit.html#/1507-bottle_size-to_make_250ml_shekem
    you need your own Nic/PG/VG to make it,scroll down the page for easy instructions on how to mix it,I do the 80/20 mix at 6mg....only £11.99 & I use the DPD Wizard courier https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/HomePage#/

With the Ammit 25 single coil,the coil will be around 0.2 here's a video & he says he is getting great flavour....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ahgJ87wEI

I don't use the Ammit for flavour,mostly throat hit I'm after,I use drippers for flavour...

Thank you, thats a big help. Im looking at all the different claptons and dont know which to go for.
    Suppose I cant go too far wrong with any of them really

I use simple kanthal wire micro coils and vape at 45-55w on my RTAs and I get good flavour. It';s not about the coils, it's about the wicking. Try other cotton, try not to stuff so much in, less is more in many cases. With the Engine, just barely enough cotton to cover the juice hole, not stuffed down into it. If anything, higher wattages kill flavour.

Yeah im thinking that as well. Im using koh gen doh at the min but was thinking of trying something different.

Ive messed around with wicking amounts and it has improved but i keep going back to my kanger subtank mini with the rba lol.

Nothing i can build in the rtas comes close flavour wise but i dont want to give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Can only comment on the Ammit 25 but for me it's a great flavor tank using 3mm 24g spaced Clapton with 6 wraps at around 38-45 watts. The trick to getting great flavor from this tank is the wicking and position of the coil. The below pic shows how much cotton to use and remember not to pack in the cotton to tightly into the juice well.

geekvape-ammit-rta-wicking-cotton.jpg

Watch Vaping with Vic on Youtube, as his method of fluffing cotton works so much better than the comb method other reviewers use and for me made such a difference in my RTA and RDA's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5eHiYictk,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

I would find myself in the same boat as Stuart , I only do one coil 26 gauge SS 316L , 6 wraps , comes out around the .5 mark and I use it in all my tanks with TC around the 400 mark at 40 w . Works fine in the Subtank mini rba ( for my son ), Kayfun V5, Serpent Mini , Bachelor Nano but I have found it to be very muted in some of the other tanks , the OBS Engine Nano being the latest to go back in the box and be moved on .

IF it is any help I have recently found that that type of coil and that type of vaping works perfectly well in the Serpent SMM . I have two of these now and they are currently my go to tanks for flavour .

Venom wrote: »
    Can only comment on the Ammit 25 but for me it's a great flavor tank using 3mm 24g spaced Clapton with 6 wraps at around 38-45 watts. The trick to getting great flavor from this tank is the wicking and position of the coil. The below pic shows how much cotton to use and remember not to pack in the cotton to tightly into the juice well.

geekvape-ammit-rta-wicking-cotton.jpg

Watch Vaping with Vic on Youtube, as his method of fluffing cotton works so much better than the comb method other reviewers use and for me made such a difference in my RTA and RDA's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5eHiYictk,

Thanks for that. Yeah I raised the coil up last time and it made a big difference.

I must watch Vics method again. Hes very good but he has cost me a bloody fortune lately lol.

Thanks for that. Yeah I raised the coil up last time and it made a big difference.

I must watch Vics method again. Hes very good but he has cost me a bloody fortune lately lol.

Never think of vape gear as money lost, think of it more as money not turned into butts and ash :pac:

If you're not getting good flavor from any rta, it has to be something you're overlooking. Any rta on the market should beat stock coil tanks hands down. I find most stock coils airy, harsh or just too demanding with only so so flavour. Like the cleito 120, I prefer when I build the rta deck than I do using bought stock coils for it. The engine (original) I find piss easy to build and wick on and also get decent flavor. I've had better but these two are just so non fussy to work with I stick with them. ATM I'm using organic cotton balls! Great flavor 😂

If you're not getting good flavor from any rta, it has to be something you're overlooking. Any rta on the market should beat stock coil tanks hands down. I find most stock coils airy, harsh or just too demanding with only so so flavour. Like the cleito 120, I prefer when I build the rta deck than I do using bought stock coils for it. The engine (original) I find piss easy to build and wick on and also get decent flavor. I've had better but these two are just so non fussy to work with I stick with them. ATM I'm using organic cotton balls! Great flavor 😂

Yeah im thinking it has to be me just not getting everything right.

One thing I noticed is when i let off the fire button with these two tanks, I can hear the coil sizzle for a second or two after.

Maybe that might indicate a problem with how im building?

• Advertisement

Yeah im thinking it has to be me just not getting everything right.

One thing I noticed is when i let off the fire button with these two tanks, I can hear the coil sizzle for a second or two after.

Maybe that might indicate a problem with how im building?

That has occurred with some of my builds in the past, and the only thing I can think of to cause it is that I wicked way too tight those times, so the heat is still pressed hard against the cotton when cooling off. You want your wicking to be 'just' tight enough in the coil to give a slight bit of resistance both ways, if you tug it and it doesn't budge at all it's far too tight. At the same time you don't want to be able to pull it out with a slight pull, but if you were building too loose you'd experience popping and spitting.

That has occurred with some of my builds in the past, and the only thing I can think of to cause it is that I wicked way too tight those times, so the heat is still pressed hard against the cotton when cooling off. You want your wicking to be 'just' tight enough in the coil to give a slight bit of resistance both ways, if you tug it and it doesn't budge at all it's far too tight. At the same time you don't want to be able to pull it out with a slight pull, but if you were building too loose you'd experience popping and spitting.

I think you might be right with the tightness, I will definately keep an eye on it if it happens again.
    I usually get it just snug but i might be overlooking it cause im re doing it so often to try and improve the flavour.

I have just tried a new wick on a micro coil with the engine nano and will see how it performs today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

I have just tried a new wick on a micro coil with the engine nano and will see how it performs today.

I'm interested in how you got on with this , any update ?

jonski wrote: »
    I'm interested in how you got on with this , any update ?

So far its pretty good flavour wise. Using 26 gauge stainless micro coil at .7 which is a bit higher then usual with 3mm id.

Raised coil so top is in line with top of posts.
    I cut the wick so it just covers the juice holes but doent go down into them. I also cut the corners of the wick like ive seen in some videos as with the 3mm id the wick is quite wide and fluffy so this removed a little bit of the excess.

I put a bit of juice on the cotton then positioned it over the holes just covering them.

Using it at 35w and its the my best build so far in terms of flavour. Going to see how it is after a few tank fulls.

Im not sure if what ive done is right but its the best flavour so far for me with this tank.

Try adjusting the top airflow too. A lot of vapers have the wrong idea when it comes to flavour production, it's the exact opposite to 'chucking clouds' - lower wattage and slightly more restricted airflow usually results in better flavour. I've tried vaping at 100w+ with the Cleito 120 and with my own DIY juices, all were muted, though I was getting plumes of vapour. When I build the RTA section for it myself, I aim for 0.3 - 0.4 ohm simple micro coil set up and vape at 40-50w and get much better flavour, I turn the airflow down just a tad which lessens vapour production but increases flavour also.

Try adjusting the top airflow too. A lot of vapers have the wrong idea when it comes to flavour production, it's the exact opposite to 'chucking clouds' - lower wattage and slightly more restricted airflow usually results in better flavour. I've tried vaping at 100w+ with the Cleito 120 and with my own DIY juices, all were muted, though I was getting plumes of vapour. When I build the RTA section for it myself, I aim for 0.3 - 0.4 ohm simple micro coil set up and vape at 40-50w and get much better flavour, I turn the airflow down just a tad which lessens vapour production but increases flavour also.

Exactly, i have it open 3rd of the way at 35 watts and its nice. Anymore and its too much air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I find with my ammit I get great flavour but there's vape all over my hands. It's like it's leaking very slightly out of the air holes at the bottom. When I unscrew it from the mod there's always juice there. It's almost like a load of condensation is forming there. It only happens when it's in use. It's not a lot of juice, just enough to seep down to where your fingers are on the mod. Doesn't seem to matter how I wick it.

Grayson wrote: »
    I find with my ammit I get great flavour but there's vape all over my hands. It's like it's leaking very slightly out of the air holes at the bottom. When I unscrew it from the mod there's always juice there. It's almost like a load of condensation is forming there. It only happens when it's in use. It's not a lot of juice, just enough to seep down to where your fingers are on the mod. Doesn't seem to matter how I wick it.

I had that happen. I hear it can be the wicking but also couple of people on youtube saying the o rings could do with being thicker and that hopefully 3rd party ones will be released.

The o ring on the bottom does look very thin to me.

Grayson wrote: »

Are you closing the juice control ports? I was closing them and the airflow slots before going to bed and ended up with way more leakage than when I didn't close them.

I had that happen. I hear it can be the wicking but also couple of people on youtube saying the o rings could do with being thicker and that hopefully 3rd party ones will be released.

The o ring on the bottom does look very thin to me.

The Ammit is my first proper RTA tank but its the only tank I'v noticed the o rings sticking to the glass when I take it apart to clean, unlike every subohm tank where the rings stay on the metal parts of the tank.

Venom wrote: »

The Ammit is my first proper RTA tank but its the only tank I'v noticed the o rings sticking to the glass when I take it apart to clean, unlike every subohm tank where the rings stay on the metal parts of the tank.

I noticed that a bit as well. The one that sits on the deck in particular is really thin.

• Advertisement

Also i think you have to make sure the juice ports are closed before filling as the juice can be forced into the wick when filling if not

Only time it leaked major for me was when I forgot this.

Just to update, I put complete new builds in both tanks. Took my time with the coils and wicking them.

Using 26 stainless 3mm id. Both around .4ohms at around 50watts.

The flavour from the ammit is much better but the obs engine nano is now giving really good flavour. Loving both tanks for the first time.

Big thank you to everyone for all the help as always. Id be lost without yourselves and youtube lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Just to update, I put complete new builds in both tanks. Took my time with the coils and wicking them.

Using 26 stainless 3mm id. Both around .4ohms at around 50watts.

The flavour from the ammit is much better but the obs engine nano is now giving really good flavour. Loving both tanks for the first time.

Big thank you to everyone for all the help as always. Id be lost without yourselves and youtube lol

Some stock & build coils can take 2 or 3 tankfuls to really bed in the coils for that perfect flavour & some juices will shine through after steeping a few months,I've had juices steeping since March,they were just ok at the time but now they are really tasty...

Advertisement