Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Gullion

Options
  • 26-09-2017 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Anyone know if there's any changing facilities/descent toilets/coffee shop etc.. in or near Slieve Gullion (I'm Cycling from Dublin) but want to have a change of clothes if possible when I get there before rambling around the mountain! Looks like a great spot.

Thanks,
    GG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Coffee shop and toilets at bottom of mountain. Don't think that there's showers but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GGracers

Hi lizzylad84,

Thanks for that! That will do! :-)

Cheers,
    GG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Be warned is an extremely hard climb! Steepest part is straight out out of the car park, after that is more a series of steps, again double digit gradient. The real kicker is on the descent (brakes must be in good working order), you come around a corner & hit this hill that is incredibly steep. Road is tree lined so always pines/leaves etc on the ground, you`ll experience rear wheel slipping, especially if wet.

Thanks for that! Ill only have the problem going up (Not sure if that'll be better or worse, lol) . Am meeting a bus load of scouts heading for the day, so have a lift back sorted. Thanks for the heads up on that though, I already google mapped some of the roads (road view) and some don't seem great, so Ill have puncture kit and spares at the ready and bring the cleat covers... just in case!

Thanks again for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

How did you get on with the climb?

• Advertisement

Hi, doing it in 2 weeks, its just under 100k for me, so will not be a welcomed climb at the end :-0 but I'll let ya know how I get on. I'm trying to do longer spins (100k+) every Sunday now, so have done for the past few weeks. Will be my first venture so far north for me though. Hopefully I'll have the wind behind me and a lovely crisp morning! :-) Looking forward to it.

A few mates and myself planning a fundraiser (cycle 170k) in March 18, and the most I've done in a day was about 120k, and was fairly shattered so need to get the miles in.

Cheers
    GG

Advertisement