Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soll or Zell Am See

• 26-09-2017 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for an opinion regarding these two resorts and their relative suitability for a solo traveller, basically a beginner (3rd trip), going in February. Not overly pushed one way the other about wild & crazy après ski, just looking to see which place might be best.

Also, one is with Topflight and the other with Crystal - are the TOs equally as good (or as bad) as each other or would anyone have a preference ? Would it swing the verdict towards one resort over the other ?
    I know its probably much cheaper to do it DIY, but as a solo traveller I don't know enough yet about what to look out for to go down that route.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Russman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for an opinion regarding these two resorts and their relative suitability for a solo traveller, basically a beginner (3rd trip), going in February. Not overly pushed one way the other about wild & crazy après ski, just looking to see which place might be best.

Also, one is with Topflight and the other with Crystal - are the TOs equally as good (or as bad) as each other or would anyone have a preference ? Would it swing the verdict towards one resort over the other ?
    I know its probably much cheaper to do it DIY, but as a solo traveller I don't know enough yet about what to look out for to go down that route.

Thanks !

Zell Am See will be connected to Saalbach this Winter, they are building a lift that will bring you to Viehofen. There is also a ski route down to it, but rarely has enough snow cover to be able to do the ski route. In terms of skiing and terrain it's miles ahead of Soll. Having said that there is a great scene in Soll, plenty of apres, nice restaurants and all very friendly. Zell Am See is a little more expensive in terms of restaurants etc.

I'd have no preference over TO's, both pretty much the same. If you want to maximize ski time it might be worth looking into flight time and location. If you have a morning flight into Salzburg for Zell Am See there's a possibility you could be on the slopes by the afternoon.

I spent 4 months near Zell Am See just this year so if you need any info on it let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Russman

stevire wrote: »
    Zell Am See will be connected to Saalbach this Winter, they are building a lift that will bring you to Viehofen. There is also a ski route down to it, but rarely has enough snow cover to be able to do the ski route. In terms of skiing and terrain it's miles ahead of Soll. Having said that there is a great scene in Soll, plenty of apres, nice restaurants and all very friendly. Zell Am See is a little more expensive in terms of restaurants etc.

I'd have no preference over TO's, both pretty much the same. If you want to maximize ski time it might be worth looking into flight time and location. If you have a morning flight into Salzburg for Zell Am See there's a possibility you could be on the slopes by the afternoon.

I spent 4 months near Zell Am See just this year so if you need any info on it let me know.

Many thanks for that, much appreciated !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say Zell am See too - nicer village, and you don't have to get a bus to the slopes.

olaola wrote: »
    I'd say Zell am See too - nicer village, and you don't have to get a bus to the slopes.

Should mention there is a glacier near Zell Am See too, great for freeriding but does get very busy particularly on Thurs/Fri.

Not sure how important being in the centre of town is to you but if skiing is your focus I'd personally recommend staying near the Areitbahn. It's out of the town, but a lot quieter than the Cityxpress, plus they're rebuilding the Areitbahn this year. You will be approx 2.5k to the town centre though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

This depends on where you stay. We needed to get a bus each morning which dropped beginners in our group off at ski school at a different lift to the rest of us. I prefer Söll. So do most of our group we are going back in January.

• Advertisement

willah wrote: »
    This depends on where you stay. We needed to get a bus each morning which dropped beginners in our group off at ski school at a different lift to the rest of us. I prefer Söll. So do most of our group we are going back in January.

When we had groups visiting, particularly visitors we ensured that their lessons were happening by the closest lift to them. CityXpress, Trassxpress and Areitbahn all have beginner areas, just depends o the ski school that you book with. See it regularly though, and something to note when booking lessons.

Soll is good for groups, apres and slightly cheaper. In terms of available terrain and variance in skiing, Zell pips it by a mile. Just depends on what you are going for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I was reading that there's an ice bar near enough to zell am see? We've a group of a seven going over and the weakest two in the group are doing our second week skiing, so we're thinking of going out on the last day, after the lessons. One of those two (the one that's not me) insists he's half got the hang of parallel skiing, as in he gets one ski parallel, but not the other. He's deadly serious saying this and I think it's utterly hilarious, but that's a side point!

I'm wondering - how tricky is going to the ice bar in terms of skiing? We went to the one on soll last year taking the easiest routes (mainly blues and easy parts of reds) and got on very well. So this year we'll have twice as much skiing under our belts and should be a but better. Also wondering is it easy to get to the location, will the ski pass work for it and is it worth going to?

Sorry for all the questions!

And OP, I went to soll last year on my fist ski trip and was blown away by the place. The facilities are amazing in terms of snow making and grooming (I've nothing to compare this too). I'd go back, but a couple in our group had been too often and wanted a change.

blue note wrote: »
    I was reading that there's an ice bar near enough to zell am see?

Yea the glacier, Kitzsteinhorn has the ice bar regular buses go from the town centre. The last day will be very busy on the glacier though, always mad queues Thurs and Fri. The skiing there is mainly reds so might be difficult for those who are on the second week but there is a blue run from the top to the main gondola so they won't be stuck! Also, if any of you are interested in off-piste skiing, hit the glacier very early on a powder day. Some fantastic off-piste runs all lift accessible.

We've a group of a seven going over and the weakest two in the group are doing our second week skiing, so we're thinking of going out on the last day, after the lessons. One of those two (the one that's not me) insists he's half got the hang of parallel skiing, as in he gets one ski parallel, but not the other. He's deadly serious saying this and I think it's utterly hilarious, but that's a side point!

haha he could try out the mono-ski!
    I'm wondering - how tricky is going to the ice bar in terms of skiing? We went to the one on soll last year taking the easiest routes (mainly blues and easy parts of reds) and got on very well. So this year we'll have twice as much skiing under our belts and should be a but better. Also wondering is it easy to get to the location, will the ski pass work for it and is it worth going to?

It's not that tricky, one blue run will get you there. You can do it from the very top of the glacier (viewing points etc up there) or you can get off 3/4 of the way up and make your way down from there to the ice camp. It's worth going to the glacier regardless of the ice bar, there's a bus every 15mins at peak times from/to Zell Am See. Pretty sure it's covered in the standard ski pass, if you plan on going to Viehofen and into Saalbach you'll need to upgrade your lift pass to the Salzburg Super Ski Card. The skiing in Saalbach is level above Zell Am See again, I would put it on par with St.Anton in terms of piste skiing (not off-piste)

The ski pass covers the bus we made the mistake of getting the last bus back to Zell and it was so full some of the group couldn't fit on and had to get taxis. Whatever you do don't get the last bus back. The beginners with us made it to the ice bar no problem. You might want to check the weather before you go, the day we went it was very windy and not all lifts opened until the afternoon.

willah wrote:
    The ski pass covers the bus we made the mistake of getting the last bus back to Zell and it was so full some of the group couldn't fit on and had to get taxis. Whatever you do don't get the last bus back. The beginners with us made it to the ice bar no problem. You might want to check the weather before you go, the day we went it was very windy and not all lifts opened until the afternoon.

And how'd you find the crowds (other than on the bus)?

• Advertisement

Slopes weren't bad at all and ice bar was empty too

Guys, is there a public transport option from Munich Airport to Zell am see? There's 7 of us and a transfer is working out at about €700. If there was a public transport option that's straightforward and convenient we'd look at it. Coming back though our flight is at half 12, so we'd need to be in the airport for half 10, so I don't know if it'll be an option that day.

Anyone able to direct me to a public transport option? Or able to confirm that it's just not really feasible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

Guys, is there a public transport option from Munich Airport to Zell am see? There's 7 of us and a transfer is working out at about €700. If there was a public transport option that's straightforward and convenient we'd look at it. Coming back though our flight is at half 12, so we'd need to be in the airport for half 10, so I don't know if it'll be an option that day.

Anyone able to direct me to a public transport option? Or able to confirm that it's just not really feasible?

Yep, there's a train station in Zell. It takes just over 3 hours, with change or two. Book now for best prices! Check out www.bahn.de for all the info.

Yep, there's a train station in Zell. It takes just over 3 hours, with change or two. Book now for best prices! Check out www.bahn.de for all the info.

Cheers. The private transfer is working out similar in price and a lot handier so I'm just going to go with that.

Would you consider hiring a people carrier? Should be enough to fit 7 plus luggage! Would cost €400 total including fuel assuming you only use it to drive to Zell Am See and back

stevire wrote: »
    Would you consider hiring a people carrier? Should be enough to fit 7 plus luggage! Would cost €400 total including fuel assuming you only use it to drive to Zell Am See and back

It was considered but a couple of the girls were nervous of us driving in the snow so we agreed to pay someone else to drive us instead. I think we'd have been fine and I'd have been happy to drive, but admittedly have never driven in proper snow conditions.

It was considered but a couple of the girls were nervous of us driving in the snow so we agreed to pay someone else to drive us instead. I think we'd have been fine and I'd have been happy to drive, but admittedly have never driven in proper snow conditions.

The road from Munich to Zell Am See is all low altitude, you'd be very unfortunate to be driving in any significant snow (or fortunate - think of all the powder!! :D)

If you can get private transfer though go for it, everyone can relax a bit more and can have a few extra drinks the night before ye leave ;)

As I say, I volunteered to drive, but if there's people who'd be nervous of it it's not worth it.

Private transfer just booked for €708. Considering we're being picked up and dropped to the door it's really not unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

As I say, I volunteered to drive, but if there's people who'd be nervous of it it's not worth it.

Private transfer just booked for €708. Considering we're being picked up and dropped to the door it's really not unreasonable.

Heading to zell later in the season with a group of friends and planning on driving.
    Any time we've got private transfer the drivers weren't hanging around so I don't buy the theory that they'd be safer than a hire car taking it handy if the conditions were bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I’m in obertauern, taxi for 2 was €150 ish both ways. 1 hour from Salzburg airport. They are based in radstatt but I’m sure there are similar near Zell or Soll.

• Advertisement
Advertisement