Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyors report

Options
  • 26-09-2017 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

Just looking for some opinions or experience other users have had.

I've gone sale agreed on a house that is "sold as seen".
    The surveyor has completed his report. There was a lot I was expecting, but some things caught me by surprise. I've no building experience so couldn't make these assessments during the visits I did.

1. Extension is substandard and needs to be replaced
    2. Front drive enterance needs proof of grated planning permission
    3. Asbestos in the ceiling tiles.
    4. All boundary walls substandard and need to be replaced. (About 200m in total length)

I'll be talking to the Surveyor tomorrow, but just wanted to know, has anyone renegotiated the house price on any of these points above?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Walk away.

The question I'd be asking myself here is: "what else is wrong that the surveyor missed?".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Sleepy wrote: »
    Walk away.

The question I'd be asking myself here is: "what else is wrong that the surveyor missed?".

This, I hired like the worst Surveyor you could find because he missed everything that could be missed. Fortunately we managed to put the money for the repair together but if that happens to someone who just can't afford it it puts you in a pretty bad position.
    The question always is, is this something you can chew? If you can fork out the repair, go for it but if not, don't put up with the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I don't mind repairing the house, I can afford to repair it.

I guess to simplify my question, has anyone renegotiated their agreed purchase price on a house based on survey.

Asbestos in the ceiling
    No fire protection between the house and the neighbours
    Sub Standard Extension

I'm not inclined to walk away, i'd rather renegotiate. The survey is quite detailed. There are other issues with the house, but I noticed those and baked them into my bid on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I negotiated the agreed price downwards based off surveyors report.
    The house is old so anything in the surveyors report to do with the old part of the house I accepted. What I had issues with were parts of the new extension & attic conversion.
    Managed to get the vendor to drop the price after getting quotes on the work needed to remedy these issues.

What helped me was that the bank needed a copy of the surveyors report as the house was over 100 years old.
    I then told the vendor that the bank wont give me the money needed unless he dropped the price to reflect the issues found. I was taking a chance but it turned out for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Nabber wrote: »

I'm not inclined to walk away, i'd rather renegotiate. The survey is quite detailed. There are other issues with the house, but I noticed those and baked them into my bid on the house.

Bear in mind that the issues that the survey uncovered don't include anything of a structural nature....so this could just be the tip of the iceberg. I take your point about renegotiating but the house is being "sold as seen" for a reason and I daresay you don't know the real reason yet.

Do you own a bargepole....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Did the surveyor give you an estimated price for the repair work? In the end it's up to the vendor to budge on the price.
    You can do the approach of telling about the issues and costs that come with it. They might knock a bit off. But if they aren't willing to negotiate you either buy as is or move on.
    It all depends a bit on the location too, if the location is very desired the vendor is less likely to negotiate because he will probably have another buyer quick enough not causing any hassle.
    We bid the absolute minimum the vendor wanted and he agreed straight away, we knew there was no wriggle room for negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I've mailed the estate agent... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Nabber wrote: »
    I've mailed the estate agent... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I cant see that working out for you.. Sold as seen means what it clearly means, warts and all..

Advertisement